Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ryan Cavalieri in RCCA interview.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 06:40 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I think he is probably one of the more cocky pro's right now... but you know what, he's earned that.

Not everyone has the personality of Francis or Kinwald, and I think those guys have set the bar REALLY high. With that said... Ive never seen Cav act out of line at a race to anyone who has asked for help or advice.

I think he chose his words wrong, and while most of us who race bigger events KNOW that they get paid for, and make a living from racing... I think the people who dont know that side of racing may get the wrong impression from the interview... but thats also whats hard about printed interviews, you cant hear the inflection of emotion behind his statements.
Old 05-12-2008, 06:42 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RB FIVE
your a cavalieri sackrider
IBTL

Old 05-12-2008, 06:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

Its very hard to please everybody. All racers have personalites they like and dislike. They attituds of those that are unagreeable are supreamly outwieghed by the amazing people Ive met in my many years in r/c. We always need something to talk about as well. As far a Pudges remarks he is very young and has a crazy schedule so he may get a little frustrated dont we all. There is something to be said about being a pro. You are constantly on the rc eye and everything he does is looked at. On the other side I have to make sacrifices to race as well especially at big races. Im spending my own money for travel, entry and everything else. If there are new people that need help Im still there for setup, part support, advise or anything else out there. We are all reps for the sport remeber that. As for the slow guys they are just as welcome as anyone. If not I may not want to be there. R/C is on of few sports where total beginers race right along side the top pros. Makes it fun and exciting for us............Plus you cant win em all!
Old 05-12-2008, 06:59 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by AndyMoore
I havent read his comments, but from what I has been relayed on here, theres nothing wrong with them. He is just telling the truth, which has become a very rare thing thses days. On top of that he is giving you a glimpse into a world that Im sure we're all curious about. Its little discussed and theres a magical aura around the paid drivers of our sport, so I say support the comments not condemn his attitude.
I agree...

Imagine running a qualifer and bobbling the first lap (theres $500), crash in the 3rd lap (theres $1000), another bobble in the 6th lap ($500)... CRAP!!! Id be pissed too No wonder I dont get paid, I would owe toooooo much money back to my sponser

Jason K.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

looks like hemakes a lot of mistakes that cost him money

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDal2gO8uTs
Old 05-12-2008, 07:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RB FIVE
RCCA: Guys at the top of any Sport are really competitive, Do you ever feel your desire to win is misinterpeted ?

R.Cavalieri: " I want to win, But if i have a bad run i am going to get mad because this is what i do for a living. Alot of people don't realize that having someone get in your way or screw you up in a qualifier could cost a pro driver a 1,000 dollars".

RCCA: What do you think is the biggest misconception of rc racers ?

R.Cavalieri: "People probably don't realize this is our career, and that it's serious. There is money on the line."

Granted he may be a nice guy but that's not the issue. This is no way for someone who represents many companies to speak about other drivers he competes with and the business he chose.

There is tact and a way to say differnt things, and this may have been something that has been grinding on his nerves for a very long time.

Back in the day I waited tables for a living. Some would tip well, others wouldnt. There have been many times where I would have liked to give the dollar back to the cheap a$$ because they obvisouly needed it more that I did, but I couldnt afford to loose my job.

Eventually many resurants started suggesting tip ammount and even add gratuity to checks. I was not able to tell a customer they didnt leave enough, no matter how lousy it was. If there was a way for me to tell the customers I would have. He found his way and took it.

This article may have been his way of telling the laped drivers or the really slow drivers who are not paid to win, to get out of his way and the way of other racers. They are not going to win any way so why screw up his chances of him winning and making a living.

Though some may not agree, where else can he send a message to the majority of other drivers out there, who are actually taking the money out of the pros pockets. Laped drivers in any racing sport, need to let the leaders pass. Its common curtosy and respect.

Sometimes the pros need to remind the aspiring pros and rookies at all levels, how it is.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

Nobody is disputing the fact that he deserves to get pissed if he has problems during the race, because this is the way he makes his living.

I think people have issue with the fact that he brought up the $1,000 comment out of the blue. I read the article and think it was in poor taste as well. Cav may very well be a nice guy, but he came across as a bit of a douche bag in that article.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:09 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I read the comments today and this is what came across to me...

The kid is 21 years old and prolly hasnt had to work a real job in his life. Dont get me wrong, I would trade him places in a heartbeat. But his real world knowledge is that of a kid cause he is a kid... Hell, when I was 21, $1000 was a big deal, now its part of a house payment...lol

Im sure he isnt a bad guy but lets be real here, He is 21.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:45 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

A point being missed completely. Ryan was interviewed because RCCA thought that it's readers would be interested in knowing what life for RC's best racer was like. He wasn't bragging or complaining. He was simply relating what the pressures of his job are like, nothing unprofessional about it at all.

I've met him at Trackside too, he didn't say much, he seemed completely absorbed in his T4's setup.
Because BK had out qualified him...

Go play with your cars and have fun. Worry about Cav when you can get within a lap of him.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:09 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I don't see the big deal.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:13 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I don't think it was a poor answer at all. Yeah, he could have answered with a "politically correct" answer but that wouldn't be honest. I think a lot of people DON'T realize what's on the line. He was honest. And honestly, how many of us have wondered at one time or another what kind of money they do make. And I also witnessed him helping some people out at CRCRC.... just goes to show that one action taken the wrong way, when he races in the public eye EVERY WEEKEND, can overshadow years of positive contribution.

He's still one hell of a driver.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hey, I've been told I'm one helluva driver too and I help lots of people out at the track, and nobody likes me either
Old 05-12-2008, 10:42 PM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by Hodapp
You can't really be too hard on the kid for his answers. The well educated people who read that article will most definitely have a tendency to laugh at the answers. You have to keep it all in perspective. All he knows is racing RC Cars. I don't think he ever had a chance to take a speech class or had the opportunity to thrive in a normal school environment where most of those basic skills are aquired. He was home schooled so he could spend more time at the track, which seems to be a popular trend in RC these days.

They* sell thousands of car kits for the manufactures and after ?

They get squat ......

Sad ....

*Young team drivers...
Old 05-12-2008, 11:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Ya I've never heard of a retirement plan for a paid rc driver. Get the $$$ while you can still drive.
Old 05-13-2008, 12:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AndyMoore
I havent read his comments, but from what I has been relayed on here, theres nothing wrong with them. He is just telling the truth, which has become a very rare thing thses days. On top of that he is giving you a glimpse into a world that Im sure we're all curious about. Its little discussed and theres a magical aura around the paid drivers of our sport, so I say support the comments not condemn his attitude.
+1

I'd rather see the factory drivers make honest comments in magazines than watch them behave like spoiled brats at the track. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think RC has ever thrown a major temper tantrum at a big race. That kind of BS does a lot more damage to the hobby than stating the truth in a magazine ever will.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.