R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 04-09-2008, 05:33 PM   #31
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjr View Post
Its not overworking them, its working in the voltage powerband of the motor. Look at it like a 2 stroke engine, you got to find the right pipe to run efficient. Brushless don't just all run on 7v and we over run it, Motors are built for a particular voltage in mind. My lehner basic xl 1200, runs 1200kv (rpm/v) its rated for 50,000 rpm's (I think), I am running it at 22,200 RPM's, I am not overdriving it. Now if i were to do say, 12s lipo (44.4v), thats a different story. Thats 53,280 RPM's, and thats overdriving that motor. Right now, I'm at less than half the rated max RPM of this motor
Exactly. They also have to keep in mind that the lower Kv motor will produce more torque and electric motor has the advantage of making power from torque. My 1521/1Y (1577Kv) is doing great with 5S. The Neu 15 series are rated at a max of 60,000rpm and I saw what my motor can do with 10S lipos and it is just out of this world.
lutach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 06:32 PM   #32
Tech Regular

Quote:
I'll put my .02 in on this, I have done a project right in this neighborhood. I have an associated RC10GT, that i converted to electric. I built it for hi-V low mah battery packs, I would say its a sucess. I can run 40 minutes on 18.5v 2500 flightpower pack, Geared at about 35mph. The setup is a quark 80 esc/lehner basic 1200xl, the forementioned 5s 2500 lipo (Flightpower25c). Power wise, it could flip, If i tightened the slipper. Gearing wise i have it set at 20/66 with 32Pgears. I can run it for 45 minutes and nothing is hot, Barely above ambient. I have run this in all seasons ( real hot this last year in GA) and no problems. I wouldn't have no trouble running with any 2s setup, power, speed or runtime. It only pulls 40 amps peak, I could have saved a bit of money and got a quark 65 if i knew that. The thought has crossed my mind to try a 33 amp quark or mamba 25 on this truck, just haven't got around to it.
Below is a couple pics of my setup, I got eagletree on it, but not at my computer at this time. Will try to get them up later

Quote:
, Most of us are trying to lower the cost of electric RC.

Boy you showed us low voltage guys

Quark 80 Esc $200
FlightPower 2500mah 5s Lipo $150
Lehner basic 1200xl Motor $100
Ultimate BEC $30

Total $480
+not legal to race, won't fit in regular cars without mods and no hard case to protect it from other crazy drivers.

Makes me feel like I got ripped off on my setup!!!!

Castle Creations 5700/ Sidewinder $150
Trakpower 4900mah 7.4v lipo $120

Total $270
+ fits my T4 with no mods , and legal at any track I race at.

Thanks for showing us the light.
Stallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 06:59 PM   #33
Tech Initiate

I receive my newer cell in testing

and i make a 4 cell 12.8V 1000mah

and i balance my xxx4 with my esc on same side of the pack

spectrum dx2.0
dgaumond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 07:18 PM   #34
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stallard View Post

Quark 80 Esc $200
Ultimate BEC $30

Total $480
+not legal to race, won't fit in regular cars without mods and no hard case to protect it from other crazy drivers.

Total $270

I might get some 3D of my designs to show you the light. What you missed is with the higher voltage and lower amp consumption, you don't need the expensive packs. Most of you guys that race must follow rules that set you back to the 6 cells or 2S lipos and you can't seem to understand anything else. I can't understand why higher voltage isn't allowed.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:22 PM   #35
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stallard View Post

Quark 80 Esc $200
Ultimate BEC $30

Total $480

Total $270

First off, I didn't build it for racing. I know there is no class for it, I built it for a bullet-proof basher. Yes i spent a bit, but i wanted quality and planned for 5s. I could have used one of my mamba max's but that would have ruined the warranty (3s only). the only one that fit everything i wanted and worked and warrantyed for 5s(actually 6s), was the quark. As for the battery, I spent less than that, Discounted at plane store inventory reduction 100.00. That's the reason i got 1, Now that i know it works, i plan to pick up a few more. As for the Soft, defenseless battery, that's what the chassis and body are for. All you do with a hard case's cook your cells (especially if you pull near 100 amp spikes from them) . You might have to protect your battery from crazy drivers in touring, But 90% of all off-road buggies and ST's, run the battery dead center and low in the chassisand nothing this side of a lawnmower is going to hit it. I have been running soft Lipo's for over a year and a half and never had an incident, even with my G2R Revo with a 2s on one side and a 3s on the other and the bottom exposed through the battery slots. I think the hard case is just to ease the minds of those, who really fear LIPO's. Most of the soft lipo's have a plastic or fiberglass wrap around the pack under the shrink.

The motor was bought used for 60.00, but anyone that has ever used a lehner will say its 3 times better than the mambamax motor. The fact that you can get it for 100.00 shows its value

This was built with quality and planning for efficiency, When your setup is giving you trouble next year, Mine will still be rolling on down the trail track or wherever it wants to

Last edited by crazyjr; 04-09-2008 at 07:45 PM.
crazyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 07:51 PM   #36
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lutach View Post
I might get some 3D of my designs to show you the light. What you missed is with the higher voltage and lower amp consumption, you don't need the expensive packs. Most of you guys that race must follow rules that set you back to the 6 cells or 2S lipos and you can't seem to understand anything else. I can't understand why higher voltage isn't allowed.
Lutach, I would have expected this argument from a smoker, Not an electric guy. Either he is a kid that can't afford more than the castle setup (though he did drop 120.00 on a trackpower lipo) Or someone either fresh from brushed or Nitro and hasn't dug deep enough to see the light beyond Castle.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:39 PM   #37
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Lutach, I would have expected this argument from a smoker, Not an electric guy. Either he is a kid that can't afford more than the castle setup (though he did drop 120.00 on a trackpower lipo) Or someone either fresh from brushed or Nitro and hasn't dug deep enough to see the light beyond Castle.
He is probably new to higher voltage. I was too before 1998. After that I got my first lipos and went ahead with the experiments and found that higher voltage was better. Give them time and they will see the light.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:11 PM   #38
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I understand what you guys are going for and I totally applaud your out of the box thinking but you must realize the other side of the coin--for those of us who primarily race and don't bash running more than 2s or 6 cells is a no-no.

However, if it really does work better or make RC cheaper in the long run I don't see why it shouldn't be legal for racing.

Tamiya 419x/Associated TC7.1/Sanwa M12s/Xpert servos
d16dcoe45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 11:05 PM   #39
Tech Addict

Quote:
He is probably new to higher voltage. I was too before 1998. After that I got my first lipos and went ahead with the experiments and found that higher voltage was better. Give them time and they will see the light.
That's what i was saying, He got in because of the ease and hasn't scratched the surface yet. That's why i haven't got upset about his comments, we all have been there before.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:17 PM   #40
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by d16dcoe45 View Post
I understand what you guys are going for and I totally applaud your out of the box thinking but you must realize the other side of the coin--for those of us who primarily race and don't bash running more than 2s or 6 cells is a no-no.

However, if it really does work better or make RC cheaper in the long run I don't see why it shouldn't be legal for racing.
I have three 2s setups myself, A T4 with a 4600MM, A B4 with a 5700MM and an academy sbv2pro with a 7700MM. All this was to me was an experiment in efficiency, Could the ideas and benefits of the larger scales (longer runtimes and cooler running with higher Voltage and lower mah) Translate to a smaller scale (1/10)? I figure, the brushless/Lipo idea started somewhere, Maybe this will be the norm someday. I don't promote it, I don't try to change the rules. If posting it changes things, great. If not , oh well I had fun and a sucessful experiment.
I got a few ideas for an electric, that's powered by a 2s lipo. My plan is for a lower KV motor than usually used for 2s (Lehner basic XL 2800) Its 700kv lower than the VXL from traxxas and with the right gearing should do similarly to this 5s beast I showed here. Right now, all i need is the motor. I have one located (lehners are rarer than hen's teeth and honest politicians combined), Just need the money to get it

As far as racing the 5s combo, that'd be great. Mines geared to similar speed, probably a bit slower (about 35). And if i had a track, I'd let it run. Because everyone knows, no matter the setup or money spent, its the driver that wins.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:51 AM   #41
Tech Elite

The current rules for competition racing are just fine at 7.4 volts for 1/10th classes.

If electric 1/8th scale becomes popular that would be fine for 14.4+, but it still needs to be a set rule, not just unlimited, run whatever you want voltage.

Obviously, nobody is concerned with what non-racers use.
RCHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 06:22 AM   #42
Tech Regular

Quote:
Quote:
Once again wrong.

I have been in this hobby for 25+ years and started racing a week after I got my first car. I started flying 12 years ago and have been fly electric only for the last 5.

I was not arguing that there aren't benefits from running higer voltage vs High amprage but the thread is titled "why the RC continues to be at 7V" it is pretty easy to see that the poster is refering to legal 1:10 scale cars (Other classes already allow higher voltage)

In 1:10 there is no need or incentive to go HV, cars are too fast with current setups, current setups are cheaper!!! and HV is not legal.

All forms of racing have rules and they are there for a reason, to make things fair and help control cost.

You guys and others pointed out how we would all save money if we switched to HV, Crazy posted his setup as an example but I pointed out that it was almost twice as expensive.

I do like how he goes on to explain how he got better deals than normal for the equipment, like that matters to everyone else?

My setup can be purchase by anyone at anytime. But there is no point in arguing with you 2, you just can't see the other side.

Come on down to our track anytime with your HV setup and you just might get smoked
Stallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 06:32 AM   #43
Tech Adept

Send a message via Yahoo to white03

Higher voltages are all well and good, but what about cost?? Speedos, batteries, and most of all parts that will break on the cars?........I have a vision....its........its......that things are going to stay the same. Ahhh....F it!
white03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 08:06 AM   #44
Tech Fanatic

There are a few ESC that does handle 3S lipos and a few more coming out. We all see some of the guys running the crazy fast 2.5 and 3.5 motors and when they mention temperature and run time, you know that they are running really poor. Yes, they are fast, but I went racing with a few guys and one had the 3.5 and GTB running 2S Trakpower lipo, I had an old TC3 with a Plettenberg Extreme (4600Kv) and 3S 5000mAh lipo and there my LHS owner and his friend with some crazy fast nitros. I was able to just run faster and longer then those guys. What was more impressive is how the guy with the 3.5 just couldn't keep up. I also had to wait for them to get everything sorted out before we could race again. It would be nice to see someone show ROAR how much cooler and reliable things would be for 1/10 scale just by going to 3S and the appropriate motor.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:33 AM   #45
Tech Addict

Quote:
by stallard
You guys and others pointed out how we would all save money if we switched to HV, Crazy posted his setup as an example but I pointed out that it was almost twice as expensive.
I showed my setup because the thread was asking why, not because it was cheap. You are right, its expensive to start, But in the long run it should be cheaper. The parts are higher quality (No offence castle) and the quality is what makes them cheaper in the long run. also the fact that its running at half the max RPM's and peak draw is under the 25c rating(20c =50 amps, mine pulls about 40 amps on eagletree. I understand that cost (now more than ever) is a consideration, but the question was for why only 7volts. I just wanted to show my experiment for the HV argument, I never meant it to be an argument. This is not to change rules, but some looser clubs could run this with the 2s electrics and even Nitro's without any problems.

Just so you know, My 2s powered T4 with 4600MM is in fact faster than this truck. This one could be faster, but i need a taller gear than i had. With the right gearing i could pull 50 easy out of this, But it might go beyond the batteries limit