Wiki Posts
Search

New ACADEMY 1/10 scale 2WD BUGGY

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 08:04 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tmail55
Great site, on the "old" site he had gearing for brushed motors also!

I run SP/Tekin motors and SP ESC the Novak gearing works for the SP 13.5 and Tekin 10.5 in T4 and SC10.

Your tran is 2.60x1 like AE's IF I remember correctly, you should be fine with Novak gearing.

See you UNDER the lights @ Farmers Hobby and Raceway!!
The Academy tranny ratio is actually 2.42x1, but I suppose the Novak gearing will work or at least be a good starting point. I hope the track didn't get too wet to run on tonight, I am looking forward to some more night racing!
Old 03-26-2010, 08:14 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

what version of the speed passion motors are you using? sounds like the V3.0s like taller gearing (-ie- bigger pinion) that a more RPMish motor like the Ballistics.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:21 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cain
what version of the speed passion motors are you using? sounds like the V3.0s like taller gearing (-ie- bigger pinion) that a more RPMish motor like the Ballistics.
well actually I just got sponsored by them yesterday, so I haven't received my motors yet. I will probably be running the new V3.0 9.5, 10.5 and maybe a 7.5 with the SP GT2.0

I have 2 more rounds in the Super Cup spring series for stock 13.5 that I will run my Novak 13.5 with the SP GT2.0 in and then I am done racing stock, so I am not going to get a SP 13.5
Old 03-26-2010, 08:36 AM
Tech Legend

congrats! I really like how the SPs use the plug setup on there motors.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:44 AM
Dob
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by slakr
I use that site as well, but it seems a little weird at times.

For the Castle 4600Kv it states: The ideal final drive ratio for this car and motor is about 5.5:1

For a Novak 10.5 (4200Kv) it states: The ideal final drive ratio for this car and motor is about 8:1

And for a Novak 8.5 (5000Kv) it states: The ideal final drive ratio for this car and motor is about 9:1

I was told when I first ran it with a 4600 to go 22/83. Temps were good, infield speed was fine, but I couldn't use it all on the straightaway. I just puttered around my driveway with 20/83 and its so much smoother and should be plenty on the straight. Might even go down some more on the pinion.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dob
I was told when I first ran it with a 4600 to go 22/83. Temps were good, infield speed was fine, but I couldn't use it all on the straightaway. I just puttered around my driveway with 20/83 and its so much smoother and should be plenty on the straight. Might even go down some more on the pinion.
Thanks Dob.

22p/83s= 9.13FDR (website says: "Slightly under geared by -66%")
20p/83s=10.04FDR (website says: "Slightly under geared by -82.55%")
The website recommends 5.5FDR or 37p/83s=5.43FDR ("Slightly over geared by 1.27%")

Like I said; I have used the site before and it does seam to provide reasonable gearing for the Novak motors... but it appears that the the castle gearing is way out in left field. IDK, but there is a big difference from a 5.5FDR to a 9-10FDR and at a 5.5FDR I would think you would be looking at a motor melt down. I'm not bashing the site & I do use it. Just be aware to take the information with a grain of salt.

Anyway, I guess I got some of what I was looking for: someone that has been runing the Castle 4600Kv and where they were on their real world gearing.
I think WYD also used to run Acedemy in a GV2, so maybe he'll offer up some advice as well.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:07 AM
Tech Fanatic

congrats! I really like how the SPs use the plug setup on there motors.
Thanks! Yeah the plugs on the motor is a great idea and their speedos are pretty dialed. They have a lot of software updates and a lot of team support as well. I am looking forward to getting the stuff and dialing it in.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by slakr
Thanks Dob.

22p/83s= 9.13FDR (website says: "Slightly under geared by -66%")
20p/83s=10.04FDR (website says: "Slightly under geared by -82.55%")
The website recommends 5.5FDR or 37p/83s=5.43FDR ("Slightly over geared by 1.27%")

Like I said; I have used the site before and it does seam to provide reasonable gearing for the Novak motors... but it appears that the the castle gearing is way out in left field. IDK, but there is a big difference from a 5.5FDR to a 9-10FDR and at a 5.5FDR I would think you would be looking at a motor melt down. I'm not bashing the site & I do use it. Just be aware to take the information with a grain of salt.

Anyway, I guess I got some of what I was looking for: someone that has been runing the Castle 4600Kv and where they were on their real world gearing.
I think WYD also used to run Acedemy in a GV2, so maybe he'll offer up some advice as well.
I haven't seen WYD on here for a long time, but he definitely has a lot of info. I agree the difference between those FDRs is pretty substantial and seems a bit odd, but I can say that the Novak gearing was pretty spot on based on what I have been running for a FDR. A lot of guys I have talked to running the Castle stuff say that it is pretty sweet and performs well, but I can't see the gearing being that much different.
Old 03-26-2010, 01:17 PM
Dob
Tech Addict

WYd originally gave me a starting point which was around 23/83. A kid that used to run an Academy at my track advised me to run 22/83, but he was running a Tekin motor.

22/83 worked and the temps were 130 esc, 125 motor,but I was turning down the Epa. With the 20p, acceleration is so much smoother and I'm pretty pumped to get it on the track. Track I'm at - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COwxcT2LQHQ

For reference, without the EPA turned downed I wasn't topping out on the straight until more then 7/8's of the way down it. Things got hairy at times haha. Especially when they took out the sweeper and put in a hair pin !
Old 03-26-2010, 03:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Cool video. I actually have been to that track. Didn't race, just watched and turn marshalled a few heats. Did some work at the General Mills/Progresso plant in Vineland and was there over the weekend, so like I often do when I'm traveling... had to go check out the local RC scene
Old 03-26-2010, 06:02 PM
Dob
Tech Addict

Jw Rooster - Was wondering if you use the leads that came with Rfi lipos to run the car. Was just reading the thread about the Reedy batteries where the included lead is only capable of being used to charge the batteries (causing failure if used otherwise). I have been using the included deans lead to run, and now want to make sure its designed for that.
Old 03-27-2010, 06:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dob
Jw Rooster - Was wondering if you use the leads that came with Rfi lipos to run the car. Was just reading the thread about the Reedy batteries where the included lead is only capable of being used to charge the batteries (causing failure if used otherwise). I have been using the included deans lead to run, and now want to make sure its designed for that.
I have used them when I was borrowing a friend's speedo that was equipped with deans and they worked fine. I only used them a couple of times, but no issues. I normally use the bullet type connector wired straight to the speedo. I don't know why it would hurt anything, but you might want to get a hold of Tim@MRC just to be sure if you feel uneasy about it.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:07 AM
Dob
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by jw_rooster
I have used them when I was borrowing a friend's speedo that was equipped with deans and they worked fine. I only used them a couple of times, but no issues. I normally use the bullet type connector wired straight to the speedo. I don't know why it would hurt anything, but you might want to get a hold of Tim@MRC just to be sure if you feel uneasy about it.
Used them all of last season without incident. I just read about a few companies that included similar leads, but were only to be used for charging and people were melting down their electronics.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:18 AM
Tech Legend

I have used them and still use them, no problems. I don't know why a company would include a set of leads, especially deans style that can only be used for charging that doesn't state so right on the box.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:50 AM
Dob
Tech Addict

I have used them and still use them, no problems. I don't know why a company would include a set of leads, especially deans style that can only be used for charging that doesn't state so right on the box.
I assumed that was the case but got me thinking when I saw some problems popping up. I think the Reedy ones do state it but requires some reading of the manual, which most people don't. The RFI's didn't really come with a manual, just a slip that had basic Lipo care.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.