Community
Wiki Posts
Search

20 Minute Electric Main Li-Po Truck Class

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 05:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

Craps, do you know if those truerc.com 8kmah 10c 7.4 volt lipos will fit in the xxx-cr chasis, its battery slot is wider then the xxx battery slot. I was also curious as to how they performed for the guy in your area that ran them in an e-maxx. $80 8k mah lipos w/ warranty are very tempting.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:14 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by party_wagon
Craps, do you know if those truerc.com 8kmah 10c 7.4 volt lipos will fit in the xxx-cr chasis, its battery slot is wider then the xxx battery slot. I was also curious as to how they performed for the guy in your area that ran them in an e-maxx. $80 8k mah lipos w/ warranty are very tempting.

I really don't know, but they are listing them as only 45mm wide and they will fit all the other trucks.

XXXTruck is on here and maybe he will post how the TrueRC batteries work in his E-Revo.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

My next big hurdle is to figure out how to charge a MaxAmps battery with my Scorpion charger.

Anybody have any advice on how I can make a cable for this and have it work properly while being safe?

Here is my charger...
http://www.fmadirect.com/detail.htm?...925&section=32

And here is my current cable that I use to charge my Orion Carbon 3200's for my XRAY T2R...
http://www.fmadirect.com/detail.htm?...124&section=32
*the white lead connects to the battery balancing port

Any help that the LiPo experts could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

partywagon... I noticed recently that truerc had two different 8000packs listed. Most of their packs have been the 50mm wide ones, labeld 10c I believe. But they had a new one 45mm wide and listed as 15c.

The 50mm are just barely too wide for AE cars... I'm assuming too wide for Losi too. No problem with the 45mm packs (same as a maxamps) they are thicker than a nimh of course.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I have the ture rc 8000mah they are as good as maxxamps and thunderpower I have all three.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

glassdoctor is correct, the Truerc 10c 8000 (50mm wide) will not fit in a Losi XXXT MF1/MF2. We tried them in both my losi and a T4 (and my losi has a dremeled down battery box). They are just a hair too big to fit in. Their newer 15c 8000 (45mm) will be no problem getting them to fit. I am not sure how wide the new XXXcr's battery box is compared to the XXX's box, but they just might fit in. The XXXcr's box will have to be just a hair wider than 50mm for the 10c to fit in.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

The xxx-cr battrey slot was built so you could run the new ib4200s w/out the need for low profile battery bars. The 10c 8k mah pack is also flatter which means it may fit under the battery strap thing if you can squeeze it in there.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:34 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by slakr
My next big hurdle is to figure out how to charge a MaxAmps battery with my Scorpion charger.

Anybody have any advice on how I can make a cable for this and have it work properly while being safe?

Here is my charger...

And here is my current cable that I use to charge my Orion Carbon 3200's for my XRAY T2R...
*the white lead connects to the battery balancing port

Any help that the LiPo experts could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Well, I have been in contact with both MaxAmps and FMA Direct and I am still not 100% confident on how to make a cable to charge a MaxAmps 6000HV pack with my Scorpion charger. Both companies have returned e-mail responses, but either I am not phrasing my questions correctly or they don't want to commit to an answer. It is sometimes very aggravating that this hobby lacks standardization.

Still need some help if anyone can offer it.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:40 PM
Tech Master

Well, I have been in contact with both MaxAmps and FMA Direct and I am still not 100% confident on how to make a cable to charge a MaxAmps 6000HV pack with my Scorpion charger. Both companies have returned e-mail responses, but either I am not phrasing my questions correctly or they don't want to commit to an answer. It is sometimes very aggravating that this hobby lacks standardization.

Still need some help if anyone can offer it.
Bring it out to the Farm this weekend and let some of us look at it. XXXTruck, DougT, myself and others can surely come up with something. Lots of li-po experience out there this weekend.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:13 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Craps
Bring it out to the Farm this weekend and let some of us look at it. XXXTruck, DougT, myself and others can surely come up with something. Lots of li-po experience out there this weekend.
That is very kind of you to offer and I will try to make it down; but it is a 3 hour ride and I only have the charger; no MaxAmps batteries... YET.

I think I understand how to make the cable, I am just trying to be 100% sure that what I intend on doing is correct and safe.

This LiPo wiring tool helped me understand a little better about the battery wiring. http://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/_lipo.html

I still need to know which wire is the balance wire, which wire is battery (+) and which wire is battery (-) on the Hyperion LBA10 2S Balance Harness.
http://www.maxamps.com/LBA10-2S-Balance-Harness.htm

I think I need to connect my charger out (+) and (-) wires to both the battery Deans plug (+) and (-) as well as the battery Hyperion tap (+) and (-) and connect my charger balance wire to the Hyperion tap balance pin.

The Scorpion 2S 10A charger is a balance charger, but unlike the Hyperion balance charger; the Scorpion ALWAYS balance charges. With the Hyperion charger; you can charge... balance... or balance/charge.

I really don't want to buy another charger. If it comes to that, I might as well just go with the Orion Platinum 4800 batteries. Although I was looking forward to the additional capacity of MaxAmps.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:06 AM
Tech Master

That is very kind of you to offer and I will try to make it down; but it is a 3 hour ride and I only have the charger; no MaxAmps batteries... YET.

I think I understand how to make the cable, I am just trying to be 100% sure that what I intend on doing is correct and safe.

This LiPo wiring tool helped me understand a little better about the battery wiring. http://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/_lipo.html

I still need to know which wire is the balance wire, which wire is battery (+) and which wire is battery (-) on the Hyperion LBA10 2S Balance Harness.
http://www.maxamps.com/LBA10-2S-Balance-Harness.htm

I think I need to connect my charger out (+) and (-) wires to both the battery Deans plug (+) and (-) as well as the battery Hyperion tap (+) and (-) and connect my charger balance wire to the Hyperion tap balance pin.

The Scorpion 2S 10A charger is a balance charger, but unlike the Hyperion balance charger; the Scorpion ALWAYS balance charges. With the Hyperion charger; you can charge... balance... or balance/charge.

I really don't want to buy another charger. If it comes to that, I might as well just go with the Orion Platinum 4800 batteries. Although I was looking forward to the additional capacity of MaxAmps.
The balancer wires on the battery will have 3 wires, 1 red + and 2 black - wires. Just match them up on the plugs.

If you ordered the battery from MaxAmps, they should be able to put the right plugs on it for you!
Old 11-14-2007, 05:58 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Craps
The balancer wires on the battery will have 3 wires, 1 red + and 2 black - wires. Just match them up on the plugs.

If you ordered the battery from MaxAmps, they should be able to put the right plugs on it for you!
MaxAmps offers 4mm banana for the battery plug, but not the 3mm banana plug for the balance wire.

I think I have it all figured out now. Quite simple. Scorpion POS (+) and NEG (-) to Battery POS (+) and NEG (-) plug (Deans or banana - whichever I choose). Scorpion Balance wire to Hyperion tap node 1. That should be it.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:15 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

MaxAmps offers 4mm banana for the battery plug, but not the 3mm banana plug for the balance wire.

I think I have it all figured out now. Quite simple. Scorpion POS (+) and NEG (-) to Battery POS (+) and NEG (-) plug (Deans or banana - whichever I choose). Scorpion Balance wire to Hyperion tap node 1. That should be it.
Have you read the manual?

Never charge the pack through the Run (discharge) connector.
Always disconnect the Run (discharge) connector before charging.

I think this is the deans connector on your battery pack.

Always charge through the Safe Charge (3-pin) connector.

And I think this is the balance port/tap on your battery pack they are referring to.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:16 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Super_Roo

And I think this is the balance port/tap on your battery pack they are referring to.

Hope this helps.
Thanks. I don't have a MaxAmps battery manual because I have not purchased the batteries yet and because I am trying to figure out how to charge their batteries with my charger. Also, I can't find any battery manual on the MaxAmps website; so I can't read it there either.

That being said, it is not a problem for me to make the appropriate connections to use the balance port/tap to charge; however, the balance port/tap battery +/- wires are connected to the same location as the Deans plug +/- wires.
Check this website out and select a 2S2P cell configuration and to show balancer hookup.
http://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/_lipo.html

My only other real concern would be wire size. The wires on the port/tap are usually much smaller than the wires that go to the Deans connector and if you are charging a 6000mAh battery at 1C (6A); those are awfully small wires to carry that amount of current (not to mention if you have a 8000mAh battery or like to charge at 2C).

Does anyone charge their MaxAmps batteries with say a DuraTrax Ice charger through the Deans (or other primary battery connector)?
Old 11-14-2007, 09:42 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Super_Roo

Hope this helps.
Just a followup; below is the e-mail response from Jason Melville at MaxAmps...

"That is not correct. Some balancers will charge thru the balance tap but generally it’s chargers that will only do up to 3 cells. Anything bigger uses the Main lead because of the amps that are needed. Hyperion chargers charge thru the main lead on all packs and balance thru the balance tap."

For example, my HT Batteries LiPo charger charges through the balance port; but it is only capable of charging at 2A max.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.