Any tuning tips for traxxas rustler?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any tuning tips for traxxas rustler?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2003, 04:48 PM
Tech Regular

Default Any tuning tips for traxxas rustler?

I bought a rustler and it comes with stuff to change the suspension and gear ratio. I also wonder what all of the suspension stuff does.
Old 03-10-2003, 01:33 PM
Tech Initiate

Dude be a little more specific about the things you are talking about. I know the kit comes with 2 diffrent gears since the gears are also included for the Bandit.

Shocks are a whole other world. are you talking about all the diffrent Plungers? and Spacers?

Will be gald to help ya out but you need to give some details.

Ray
Old 03-12-2003, 02:25 PM
Tech Regular

Hey, the different gears will vary the speed and acceleration of the car. It should say some stuff in the manual about them. BTW are you Michael Udlehoven? just checking
Old 03-12-2003, 02:35 PM
Tech Rookie

You may want to check out This guy's site. You didn't specify whether you had nitro or electric . . . he has pretty decent articles for both. Enjoy!
Old 03-12-2003, 02:42 PM
Tech Initiate

With the gear ratio statement. Yes there is a ratio guide in the manual that came with your truck. I suggest buying all the gears listed on the spur side. there are four of them. 78, 81, 84, 87 64pitch. The stock gears arent that great and do make alot of noise. the stock setting is 18/84. Depending on the legnth of the track you are running on you could go up to the next ratio. Only do one ratio at a time till you reach the right Temp on the motor. You should be able to touch the can with your bare finger. Some people say for 5 seconds but we run Orion Motors and they run a little hotter. I dont ever see you needing a pinion gear over 20. We bought 15-20. Hope that helps.

And nope thats not me!!

Ray
Old 03-21-2003, 03:21 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks, I know what the piston and spacers do but I'm not sure about the others.
Old 03-21-2003, 06:51 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally posted by traxxasdude
Thanks, I know what the piston and spacers do but I'm not sure about the others.
Define "Other" try to be specific.

Dont try and use the extra Spur gear that came with your truck. It is for the Bandit and it has much smaller tires and that gear will burn up your motor.
Old 03-22-2003, 11:13 AM
Tech Regular

Are you sure that the other spur gear (84t) will burn my motor up, because I have been using it for about a week now, and I don't know what the rectangle with four holes, the little white gears, circles about 5mm in diameter, or the cylinder that starts big and all the sudden gets smaller do.

Last edited by traxxasdude; 03-22-2003 at 01:53 PM.
Old 03-22-2003, 02:17 PM
Tech Initiate

Ok...the rectangle with the four holes is for use where the mount is for the Manual Speed Control. Over the battery.

I think what you are reffering too as the little white gears is.

They are like washers? Four of them where to be in the bell cranks top and bottom where the long shoulder screw goes.
Step E-9 in the manual

The small circles are spacers used to adjust ridehight inside the shock.

The cylinder that suddenly gets smaller is a "Shoulder mount" If you didnt have the shoulder bolts for your shocks you would use those to fill the space in the top to mount it. We used ours to move the shock mount point. it took up the space to keep the shock in line with the lower mount.

the 84t spur gear is stock...We got our truck in kit form and it came with the gear for The Bandit and tossed it as to not use it.
Old 03-22-2003, 02:47 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks, but I am not reffering to the washers. They have teeth on the inside and outside. If you could post a pic on how to use the little circles that would be great.

Last edited by traxxasdude; 03-23-2003 at 04:05 PM.
Old 04-09-2003, 04:41 PM
Tech Regular

ah, found what they are, they adapt the servo for the servo saver (also found out the rest except little circle). And can anybody tel me how they tune there suspension/
Old 04-09-2003, 04:42 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by KevanB
Hey, the different gears will vary the speed and acceleration of the car. It should say some stuff in the manual about them. BTW are you Michael Udlehoven? just checking
nope and no I don't know him.
Old 04-16-2003, 05:03 PM
Tech Regular

uhh can any of you tell me how to tune my rustler and use those parts.