R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 04-11-2003, 08:53 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Default setups for 1/8 buggies

i need help in understanding the whys and hows in setting up my buggy

in my case i am setting up for a track that is very hard packed has alot of pretty big jumps and alot of bumpy areas

i have a mbx4xr and quite honestly i can tell my setup is off and i have gotten some advice that has helped my setup get better but i truely dont fully understand all the adjustments

i am running very near to the stock setup now as far as diffs and alignment are concerned

i have gone to big bore shocks with grey spring and 35wt oil

i was told last week by the top qualifying mugen racer i needed to go to a much thinner oil like 25wt and stiffer white springs

my main problem is my buggy has felt kinda clumsy as far as the bumpy sections go it kinda bouces around and sometimes can be hard to drive

and i would also like it to jump more level it seemed to noise up on the jumps considerably so i had to use much less throttle than i would have liked

any info would be greatly appreciated and put to good use
jason102276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2003, 07:13 AM   #2
Tech Rookie

Send a message via AIM to RickSevo

on the jumps go full throtle and if it noises ups slam the breaks many people told me this when i got my buggy u can almost control it in the air pretty cool 1/8th rocks!
RickSevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2003, 08:38 AM   #3
Tech Fanatic

yes your right i know i can manipulate the buggy in the air with the throttle and brake i have been working on learning it but i would also like to be able to fix some of the problem with setup
Old 04-12-2003, 09:00 AM   #4
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

You might want to look up an rc suspension tuning source online, I could go into what everything does in detail, but it would simply take too long, like writing a book.

As for the jumps part, that's simple, when you are hitting a jump, just make sure you are off the throttle at the lip of the jump. Not many people know that trick, but it will help the car fly much more level, and you will have to do little to no correction in the air (which if you mess up on, kills your landing) so basically haul ass up to that jump, but as soon as you reach the top, let off, it will propably shave off a little time on your laps too, since you can then concentrate on what you are going to do after the landing, rather than concentrating on the landing itself.
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2003, 08:03 PM   #5
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to rod_b

Jason - First off, 35wt and Mugen's 350 (which comes in the kit) are not the same. Someone told me that Mugen 350 is somewhere around 30wt or less. Secondly, I've been running the Kyosho light blue springs with hardly any pre-load. I run on hard packed dirt usually with a light film of dust, semi-bumpy. My XR handles this track very well, especially on the straight where one of my friends Kanai gets jumpy like your buggy.

As for jumping, I've found that letting off just after the rear-wheels leave the jump is the closest thing I can get to taking off and staying level in the air. Too early and the nose will dive. Too late and you'll be looking at the sky.

Hope this helps.
rod_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 04:01 PM   #6
Tech Fanatic

i wont get a chance to try it out for a couple weeks but i have changed to 27.5 front and 25 rear and i am using the grey springs untill the white ones are available

i can feel a big difference from the 35wt oil

hopefully the quicker reacting shocks will help on the bumpy stuff

is it true for bumpy tracks you should use stiff springs and thinner oil and the opposite for smooth tracks

and what is the deal with the diff fluids i have remained stock simply because i dont know what will happen if i change them?

i know to use the thickest in the center then somewhat thinner than that in front and 1000wt in the rear just about always

are the kyosho lsds like torsen diffs?

i know there are alot of tips for jumping i am practicing trust me

i did notice one thing is that i had the front shocks mounted in the second hole in from the outside on the top row and i moved them inboard 1 position and that made an effect on the way it jumped i dont remember if it was nose up or down but i know i switched back because i didnt like it but that was a different track than i run now
Old 04-16-2003, 07:32 AM   #7
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default suspension help

download the buggy setup tips from this site, they'll help heaps. www.gallery.uunet.be/heremanss
lineburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 10:27 PM   #8
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to rod_b

Tire question for the buggy experts. I ran on some loose, soft, moist dirt today and it seemed to get bunched up in the treads. I tried Crimefighters and Knuckles but I started losing the rear end from the dirt packing itself in. Are you supposed to run a tire with a more spread out pattern like mugshots or the short steppins?
rod_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 01:52 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to TambokGT

Quote:
Originally posted by rod_b
Tire question for the buggy experts. I ran on some loose, soft, moist dirt today and it seemed to get bunched up in the treads. I tried Crimefighters and Knuckles but I started losing the rear end from the dirt packing itself in. Are you supposed to run a tire with a more spread out pattern like mugshots or the short steppins?
try Panther's step pins
TambokGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 02:35 AM   #10
Tech Rookie

Jason,

Use 25wt oil with the Kyosho soft blue spring. Try and insert a 5 mm fuel tube outside the shock, this would solve your bouncy problems and the tube will prevent your car from bottoming out on huge jump.

This is my way, you can always try it out.

rob_b

Try the GRP Bulldog tires. It is good on this type of surface though it's blady funny looking.
presscage is offline   Reply With Quote