Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree12Likes

Ranch Pit Shop

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 08:10 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

i remember also strongly the "old" SRS Scale Racing Sports off road track, owned by Mike Dolan (and ran by Scott Afinson) in Tempe, AZ.

It was in the days "before the net", I would fax my mail order stuff to the 7eleven next to the track and they would go pick it up... !!
Talk about "old school" ;-)
Old 07-02-2006, 09:45 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by nc-hopsing
Hey Dave, I'm sure we must have raced together quite a bit in those days! Your name sounds familiar. Remember NORRCA? I ran all the series races back in 93-94. '93 ROAR Off Road Nationals in Bakersfield (Racers Haven?), There was even a outdoor track in NORCO, cant remember the name. M-n-M hobbies, So-Cal when it was in the old supermarket, the indoor track in Yorba Linda, I know there were others. Wow, memories

you are correct! it was and still is RACERS HAVEN HOBBIES. We are going stronger than ever...now with two stores in Bakersfield with a "min-car" only offroad and dirt oval track opening up at our newest location within the next couple of months...Man you guys are bringing up the ooollllllllldddddddd days!..LOL...

Jon Shearer
Racers Haven Hobbies
Old 07-03-2006, 03:30 AM
Tech Adept

Location: I dont race that LST anymore I'm Just to lazy to change my Screen name

I can remember back when i was just a little kid, my dad and a bunch of the guys from up here in oregon went down to the McCoy race at the ranch pitstop. they all raced Delta Eagles i belive. 1/8 2wd gas. My parents a selling there house and i was digging through some stuff and found my dads 3rd place 'L' main trophy from '87 i belive. Those are probably my first memorys of rc. I also remember some movie from the 80's, some cop drama that showed 2 hookers walking around and you can see the Ranch pit stop in the background. kinda funny bit of history.
Old 07-03-2006, 04:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PDXLST
I also remember some movie from the 80's, some cop drama that showed 2 hookers walking around and you can see the Ranch pit stop in the background. kinda funny bit of history.
Laughing because its sooo true!! Not just in a movie!
Old 07-03-2006, 08:41 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Tacoma
It closed because it was supposed to move. It was decided not to reopen. It closed not too long after they hosted the worlds, maybe a year later.

If it wern't for Allen and his skating, Team Losi as we know it probably wouldn't exist.

The Colton skate place was called Rancho Meditteranea Skatepark.

Hey Dave P, I saw those batteries that grenaded in the mag.
Should I come by and drop off some 4200's?
Haha, you saw that huh? That would be great. You know the las vegas IIC race IS coming up.
Old 07-03-2006, 08:50 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by nc-hopsing
Hey Dave, I'm sure we must have raced together quite a bit in those days! Your name sounds familiar. Remember NORRCA? I ran all the series races back in 93-94. '93 ROAR Off Road Nationals in Bakersfield (Racers Haven?), There was even a outdoor track in NORCO, cant remember the name. M-n-M hobbies, So-Cal when it was in the old supermarket, the indoor track in Yorba Linda, I know there were others. Wow, memories
I'm sure we did. I was one of the ones out there with a custom build Nitro Losi XX-T. Back before Losi had a nitro truck. Earl was running his truck. Some other guy was running his and I was running mine. It was good times. The only time I raced at Racers Haven was for a NORRCA race, but it wasn't hot. It was raining. It's a good thing the track was covered.

Does anybody remember The Race Place in Santa Fe Springs. Russ ran that track. Ahhh the memories!
Old 07-04-2006, 12:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Big Kid
Does anyone remember R&R Raceway in East L.A.? Or how about RCH in Huntington Beach? Both of those tracks were from the late 80's early 90's.

-Big Kid
Ya, I remember those. As for others here some that no body mentioned:

Fastlane (Ex Hotrod) indoor with pits on the second floor
Fastlane (Ex Hotrod) Outdoor ex-gokart track "HUGE" at the time the MRP Pro 10 came out (1st 1/10 pan car)
AJB indoor offroad in Covina
Bob & Jim's RC World in Riverside, indoor carpet track on old YMCA gymnasium.
TQ Hobbies; outdoor onroad and offroad near San Pedro
Hobby Bench Raceway; outdoor offroad track in Glendora, not everybody get to run a main. BOO
Hot Trax in Westminster off of Bolsa Chica, Huge indoor offroad track owned and operated by the folks who published "Competition Plus"

Then there are a couple of places that didn't last 6 months; a carpet track in West Covina off the 10 Fwy near Franciscito and a small onroad track with poles in the middle in Allhambra off of Fremont just north of Mission Rd.

When you see as many tracks as I have seen come and go you begin to appreciate the ones that have lasted. Most notably for me locally that would be So Cal Raceway. You have to appreciate that both Jim and Lana have done a good job of keeping their business afloat from the days when they were off of Valleyview in Cypress to where they are now. Keep in mind that its been 8 years since they been there in Huntington Beach. Thats a long time in the RC track business. Some of you may say "what about Revelation?" Don't forget Revelation went out of business for about 2 years or more in the 90s before someone began to reinvest in it again.
Old 07-04-2006, 12:45 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Default Old Tracks

I do remember The Race Place in Santa Fe Springs, it was ran by Russ & Roberta. They were the old owners of R&R Raceway.

When I started racing, here were the tracks I remember.

R&R Raceway / East LA

RCHR / Costa Mesa

AJB / Covina

Ranch Pitstop / Pomona

Does anyone remember the big ROAR race @ R&R?? I still have my trophy.

-Big Kid
Old 07-04-2006, 05:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tim W.
But why did it shut down
One of the main reasons it shut down was that the neighborhood was bad. You couldn't practice at night with being prop by a prostitute or tripping over the junkies in the parking lot. Used raced the McCoy for 4 years in the 80's, best finished was a 4th in the D Main. There was only one class (pros, beginners, etc. raced all in one class). I think it started out as the Thorp Raceway then Losi took over. It was a great on-road track, never raced on the off-road track.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:41 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rocket Ronbo

Loved racing oval when the track was in the back, and 1/8th onroad on the track in the front...

Ron
Don't you still love racing oval?
Old 07-07-2006, 10:28 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I raced there one time when I was like 10 or 11. When I heard that it closed I couldn't belive it because it always had so much buisness.

J
Old 07-07-2006, 01:22 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by YR4Dude
Ya, I remember those. As for others here some that no body mentioned:

AJB indoor offroad in Covina

Awwww yeah! That's was my "home" track, since I grew up in West Covina.

Do you remember around when did it close?
Old 10-20-2008, 07:44 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dpalXRC
I'm sure we did. I was one of the ones out there with a custom build Nitro Losi XX-T. Back before Losi had a nitro truck. Earl was running his truck. Some other guy was running his and I was running mine. It was good times. The only time I raced at Racers Haven was for a NORRCA race, but it wasn't hot. It was raining. It's a good thing the track was covered.

Does anybody remember The Race Place in Santa Fe Springs. Russ ran that track. Ahhh the memories!

years old but... I ran a Earls converted losi with Greg Degani back then. That must have been mid 90's. Those trucks were so heavy. Do you remember the wood brake drum?
Old 10-20-2008, 08:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

WOW, this sure brings back memories!!!!!! I don't live in Metro L.A. anymore but I was big into the RC race scene way back in the early to late 80s. I tell people about going to races and racing against the likes of Cliff Lett, Losi Jr, Jammin' Jay, Kinwald, just to name a few in a regular club race...

I too ran at RPS. Yup and even owned an RPS Dogfighter. Loved that thing. Sure wish I had one now....

You guys forgot the Race Prep Raceway in Reseda at the youth center. Geez, I remember racing the old Tamiyas there. Racing under the lights!

I also raced at Fastlane when it was in Valencia as well as when it moved to Saugus or whatever the actual address was. Fastlane in Valencia was awesome. Nice big track, lots of space, lots of pit space on the second floor. Randy ran a pretty good operation...

Then I can't remember the name of the other track that was in the San Fernando Valley just off the corner of Nordoff and Parthenia. Smaller indoor track. Can't remember the dude that ran it. I think his name was Dave. It was fun too...
Old 10-20-2008, 09:10 PM
Tech Initiate

I remember the Hobby Bench in Glendora over on Alosta. Cool place. The Ranch Pit Shop was nice, but it suffered from the usual "caters to racers" syndrome that a lot of tracks have. The original address was 1655 E mission blvd. pomona, ca. Like it's been said before, it's not a good area of town.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.