Search
Like Tree12Likes

Ranch Pit Shop

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 09:59 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dion
I must be really older than most of you, and I'm 36...I remember going there in 1980/81 when my brother and I got a Tamiya Sand Scorcher and Rough Rider, and I believe in 1983, my father got himself the Super Champ! I wasn't a racer, but we used to go there for all of our parts. My brother got the first RC-10 (gold chassis) and I got my Yokomo Dogfighter (chain driven 4WD) there as well. I remember when the main track was the on-road right behind the shop, and the back was off-road. Then they got rid of the on-road by putting dirt all over it. I don't remember time-frames of all the changes, but that place was my candy store when I was a kid.

Yes you are old dion, but did you ever jump the rear wall behind the original off-road track and sneak onto the go-kart track?
Old 06-26-2006, 10:40 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dion
I must be really older than most of you, and I'm 36...I remember going there in 1980/81 when my brother and I got a Tamiya Sand Scorcher and Rough Rider, and I believe in 1983, my father got himself the Super Champ! I wasn't a racer, but we used to go there for all of our parts. My brother got the first RC-10 (gold chassis) and I got my Yokomo Dogfighter (chain driven 4WD) there as well. I remember when the main track was the on-road right behind the shop, and the back was off-road. Then they got rid of the on-road by putting dirt all over it. I don't remember time-frames of all the changes, but that place was my candy store when I was a kid.
damn he's old
Old 06-26-2006, 10:50 AM
Tech Rookie

I remember racing there in '87, I was twelve then. I had one of those gold tub chassis RC-10's. My buddy and I used to hop the fence and go practice when they were closed on Thursay's .
Old 06-26-2006, 04:30 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Tacoma
Yes you are old dion, but did you ever jump the rear wall behind the original off-road track and sneak onto the go-kart track?
No, I couldn't bring myself to do it, besides, the area scared the SH!T out of me after dark. But in high school, we'd go there in a big group on Friday nights to run against each other.

What we did do was park within the industrial park next door and go into the Ranch through a break in the fence....
Old 06-26-2006, 04:31 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by teabag
damn he's old
But younger than you!
Old 06-27-2006, 06:55 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default hey

I ran the 1997 worlds there, great track!
Old 06-27-2006, 07:36 AM
Tech Apprentice

I ran there once or twice... still my favorite track...

My super champ (1983) was not the best car to start racing with (had to run modified since it had a mono shock), so bought a cox scorpion and life got better.

Loved racing oval when the track was in the back, and 1/8th onroad on the track in the front...

Ron
Old 06-27-2006, 10:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rocket Ronbo
I ran there once or twice... still my favorite track...

Ron
Once or twice!
Old 06-27-2006, 05:21 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Does anybody have pics of the track from back in the day?
Old 06-27-2006, 06:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

This is a great trip down memory lane!!! I didn't know much about what happened back then so I blamed it on Losi. I heard a rumor that Gil was getting out of racing and shutting down the losi line. Hobby Shack at the time was my LHS and they also began fading out their losi line. This was also about the time that Revelations opened also. When Ranch Pit Shop closed, I began running at MnM Raceway in Corona, but it wasn't the same despite that track being an awsome indoor track. WOW, that was all back in my electric dayz. I got out of the hobby about 1yr after ranch closed. I'm now back into it worse than ever since I found out that Revelations Reopened with a bang. It's all gas from here. GREAT SUBJECT FOLKS!!! LONG LIVE THE MEMORIES OF RANCH PIT SHOP
Old 06-27-2006, 07:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nc-hopsing
Thats right! It was the NORRCA nationals. I was in the "B" main of Expert stock buggy running a "pre-production" Traxxas TRX 2wd buggy that I had to build the night before qualifying. What a mistake that was! And hell ya it was HOT! Good thing the pits and track were covered. That track was super blue groove!!!
You were one main ahead of me. I couldnt drive my two wheel at all (super push) and was in the C in both Exp Stock and Exp Mod but got 5th in the A in 4 wheel Exp Mod. I loved that track.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by EEChris
Does anybody have pics of the track from back in the day?
yea lets see some pics
Old 06-28-2006, 11:58 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Does anyone remember R&R Raceway in East L.A.? Or how about RCH in Huntington Beach? Both of those tracks were from the late 80's early 90's.

-Big Kid
Old 06-29-2006, 08:37 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

it was RCHR or something ?
Radio Control Hobbies Raceway... very impressive indoor dirtrack..
It was in those days before So-cal
Old 06-29-2006, 10:09 AM
Tech Addict

I raced at RCHR quite a bit. I think it was actually concidered Costa Mesa. It was a nice track. I remember watching Cliff Lett helping out a very young Brian Kinwald back in those days.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.