Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree85Likes

AGAMA 1/10th 2wd

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2024, 10:35 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by YoKoMo-MX4
... the now ancient Tenth Technology "Predator" designs.

Love to see companies revisiting this. On certain types of tracks it is a superior vehicle design.
At the rear I think this is a better design for offroad though compared to the Pred as the lever arm is much longer, coming off the bottom wishbone. The problem with the Pred was excessive rising rate because of the short lever arm. I expect this to be much better than the pred for bump handling. The concept has been proven with the N1 so the suspension performance bodes well. Great to see such a different design , ballsy to go for it. Steering geometry is a key area, it needs to have similar ackerman to the current top high grip cars...the outside cornering wheel needs to be able to match those for angle / lock. I hadn't clocked it was 5 gear to start with. Will be a total weapon on carpet assuming the steering geometry is on the money.
HeavyD99 and Speed 8 like this.
Old 05-25-2024, 07:56 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by YoKoMo-MX4
... the now ancient Tenth Technology "Predator" designs.

Love to see companies revisiting this. On certain types of tracks it is a superior vehicle design.
Back in the 90's Dean Karns (who if I remember right was a Losi XXX guy at the time) showed up to a big race in Michigan with one of those Predator 10's or whatever it was called. Slammed body, Layed down shocks, Front wing... etc almost 25 years ago. That thing was a complete pile. Dude didnt even make the main at a Michigan State Champs. It was rough to watch.

Did that Predator design ever get any big race accolades? I think BK ran one a few times.

To be fair though... this design looks much more interesting in a 2WD format than the Predator wheeler than the Predator.

Old 05-25-2024, 07:56 PM
Tech Initiate

Default I'm in.

It is such a cool design that I preordered one today. It will be a lovely winter project.
AntH3000 likes this.
Old 05-25-2024, 10:59 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by westendorfy
Back in the 90's Dean Karns (who if I remember right was a Losi XXX guy at the time) showed up to a big race in Michigan with one of those Predator 10's or whatever it was called. Slammed body, Layed down shocks, Front wing... etc almost 25 years ago. That thing was a complete pile. Dude didnt even make the main at a Michigan State Champs. It was rough to watch.

Did that Predator design ever get any big race accolades? I think BK ran one a few times.

To be fair though... this design looks much more interesting in a 2WD format than the Predator wheeler than the Predator.
Kinwald won the Florida Winternats with it in '96 I think. At least 6 UK BRCA national series titles. So yeah, it was very successful. Could have been better on the bumps and big landings though...
Lonestar likes this.
Old 05-25-2024, 11:33 PM
Tech Apprentice

William Mitcham made the top 5 at the 1997 IFMAR Worlds with a Predator XK5.
Lonestar and AntH3000 like this.
Old 05-26-2024, 01:48 AM
Tech Initiate

Old 05-26-2024, 01:50 AM
Tech Initiate

Old 05-26-2024, 01:51 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by SQC049
I was going to pre-order but I'm going to wait until there is some word on a ball diff or if another brands ball diff will fit.
The nemo guys said this on there discord, so i would assume a ball diff will be a option.

"Yes tested on low traction and very impressive (We ran a ball diff during this low traction testing) "
Old 05-26-2024, 06:55 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Atomic-Carbon
The nemo guys said this on there discord, so i would assume a ball diff will be a option.

"Yes tested on low traction and very impressive (We ran a ball diff during this low traction testing) "
Talking about innovation, Atomic Carbon inda house! This forged carbon fibre anything to do with you?
Old 05-26-2024, 06:14 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Looks really cool , I always like when someone tries something different.

My only doubt is the material choice.

Sure, ''forged'' (its not forged, its a marketing thing, like on cars) carbon fiber looks interesting, but the classic woven carbon fiber like a 0-90 will surpass the forged material is every metric.

Dont get me wrong, forged CF is normally on par with regular 6061 aluminium in stress tests, but woven carbon fiber is much stronger than both of these.

The weird thing is that forged carbon fiber is mostly used to make parts that you can't make with a woven material (like a sharp 90deg angle).

But on this buggy, its all flat parts, or with a slight angle, which really isn't a challenge to make a woven part with those shapes.

westendorfy and baconracer like this.
Old 05-27-2024, 01:00 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by warracer

Sure, ''forged'' (its not forged, its a marketing thing, like on cars) carbon fiber looks interesting, but the classic woven carbon fiber like a 0-90 will surpass the forged material is every metric.

Dont get me wrong, forged CF is normally on par with regular 6061 aluminium in stress tests, but woven carbon fiber is much stronger than both of these.

The weird thing is that forged carbon fiber is mostly used to make parts that you can't make with a woven material (like a sharp 90deg angle).

But on this buggy, its all flat parts, or with a slight angle, which really isn't a challenge to make a woven part with those shapes.
Interesting, how do the piece price and tooling costs compare I wonder?
Old 05-27-2024, 06:28 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by warracer

The weird thing is that forged carbon fiber is mostly used to make parts that you can't make with a woven material (like a sharp 90deg angle)."for

Totally agree, I have had some experience with "forged" CF when building drone frames.
As you mention, "forged" is marketingspeech.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, it is made by using a mold and filling it with "shards" of CF and a binding resin before pressing and baking it into the desired shape.

But the question is, is it possible to just use a layer of forged cf and bind it with weaved stuff just to achieve the looks? I know this is done in several ways to get different looks and not compromising strength too much.

On the other hand I'm also not overly worried about it beeing too weak, as most of the parts could be made in in plastics as well and still be strong enough. I would imagine flat CF of most kinds should be strong enough to o the job.

HeavyD99 likes this.
Old 05-27-2024, 04:06 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

probably the only thing at least visually I wonder about is the rear without some kind of bumper setup to protect the rear shock from what I can tell. Someone running into you with the shock exposed a bit would be my concern.

Hopefully these guys don't go the "Lets have $30 a pair springs" like mugen did.

And hopefully this vehicle will lead them to do some good work with some sellers in the USA.
HeavyD99 likes this.
Old 05-27-2024, 04:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by S1lencr
Totally agree, I have had some experience with "forged" CF when building drone frames.
As you mention, "forged" is marketingspeech.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, it is made by using a mold and filling it with "shards" of CF and a binding resin before pressing and baking it into the desired shape.

But the question is, is it possible to just use a layer of forged cf and bind it with weaved stuff just to achieve the looks? I know this is done in several ways to get different looks and not compromising strength too much.

On the other hand I'm also not overly worried about it beeing too weak, as most of the parts could be made in in plastics as well and still be strong enough. I would imagine flat CF of most kinds should be strong enough to o the job.
Yes you can have long (like the length of the part) and short fibers (short to fill odd shapes).
I too wonder about using it for the main chassis, since it can be CF sheet as seen in the prototype.
Guess we'll see.
Old 05-28-2024, 08:54 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Agama N110

I preordered mine from VRP Racing! Supposed to be showing up by mid October! Gonna be a fun one!

Originally Posted by alternatepoc
It is such a cool design that I preordered one today. It will be a lovely winter project.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.