Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1073Likes

Team Associated B7 and B7D

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2024, 05:38 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by RogerM
1) definitely longer but more important than that ..... looks like it should have a fairly low level of jacking and/or roll induced roll centre migration (means less compromise needed in setup when trying to tune for a particular section of a corner)

2) in the video you can see a block on the chassis in front of the motor

3) looks like it from the side profile too but hard to tell

4) doesn't look like travel limiters to me, I believe they wrap around the front of the castor blocks and provide location for the vertically mounted outer camber link ball stud .... near limitless front roll centre adjustments, this has me VERY excited as we have to run with Schumacher tyres in the UK (I'm sure people know I'm not a fan by now).

5) Low mount but also quick change and very well located, no more nipping down a grub screw, wiggling, nipping down, wiggling, backing off ... darn now to sloppy again ;-)

There are a whole host of other things I can see in that video, if they have got the flex characteristics right this should be a weapon straight out of the box!
Spot on.

1: The caster offset seems a lot higher than the +4 on the B6 family to my eye.

2/3: I can see one in front of the motor. But it is hard to tell, because the blue of the Reedy Zapper Logo is right up against it. What is intriguing to me, is that the motor mount seems to extend up to the spur gear and top shaft. It would be amazing if the top shaft bearings were fully supported in an aluminum frame. It would be far more accurate for supporting the bearings, and more accurate tension on the slipper as well, and likely have a mild improvement on efficiency as a result. It would also prevent flex between the pinion and the spur, which could be a problem on a standard motor mount. This should all but eliminate that.

4: That is exactly what i saw them ass as well. The plate has a 0 printed on it. So it would make logical sense to have a +1 and -1 inset as well for horizontal adjustment, on top of vertical adjustment.

If the video the Hall Brothers posted is any indication...its gonna be quick on carpet.
Old 01-02-2024, 05:54 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 259 (100%+)

Seems like the motor mount would allow the motor to flex more during high G-force landings. Not sure if this would be an issue with pinion/spur mesh during flat landings. We'll see.
Buckland likes this.
Old 01-02-2024, 06:00 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by rraden
Seems like the motor mount would allow the motor to flex more during high G-force landings. Not sure if this would be an issue with pinion/spur mesh during flat landings. We'll see.
The motor mount seems a lot thicker than the current motor plate design. ANd if the motor mount is hung completely off of the transmission case, and is also tied into the spur gear top shaft, there should be very little gear mesh play at all. Because any chassis flex that happens, should happen completely under the motor, and at the rear tail of the chassis, which is where the gearbox is mounted. If anything, this should be a superior solution. At least on the laymens workbench on paper it is. Haha!
Old 01-02-2024, 06:06 AM
Tech Regular

These changes look great for those of us racing on high grip tracks but are we going to see a very different car for those who race on low grip? Maybe just a new rear gearbox specifically for low grip. How are you guys looking at this?
Old 01-02-2024, 06:20 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Piles
These changes look great for those of us racing on high grip tracks but are we going to see a very different car for those who race on low grip? Maybe just a new rear gearbox specifically for low grip. How are you guys looking at this?
Well in the video they showed a CAD model of a standup gearbox. B7 option or just a reference to how much things have changed?

Regardless of that I think the low-grip/high-grip debate has entered an interesting phase. 1/10th is swiftly becoming a high-grip class, and in the States it seems to have become an exclusively indoor class. 1/8th has taken the place of 1/10th outdoors.

Here in the UK and I assume also Europe and Australia/NZ it's not so clear cut. Our permanent outdoor tracks have definitely tended towards higher grip over the last decade, I don't see that changing, but we still race in the wet (almost every race meeting has some wet running because even in summer the astro dews up in the morning), and we still have a lot of 1/10th outdoor tracks.

Having said that, everyone was horrified at the idea of mid-motor 4-gear cars when they came out. But they worked in the wet. And then horrified by mid-motor 3-gear cars. But they worked. And horrified by laydown mid-motor cars. Guess what, they also work, and most people left their rear-heavy cars behind a long time ago.

So I think that if the B7 works on high grip it can be made to work on low grip with the usual tweaks.
RogerM and BuggyFan21 like this.
Old 01-02-2024, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Something to keep in kind is we have only seen the body off of the car that has carpet tires on it.

We probably will learn more about the D version as we get closer to the Clash of Champions race at Hoosier RC Hobbyplex later this week.
Pistol123 likes this.
Old 01-02-2024, 09:32 AM
Tech Regular

Default Big Bores

To me the shocks still look 13mm, but the stroke looks also shorter?
Old 01-02-2024, 10:36 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

So the B6-.2 had narrow rear c&d blocks, B6.3-4 had wider blocks which they told us was better for high grip tracks, now the B7 has blocks that seem even narrower than the first B6, soo which is really better for high grip? Any one else confused?
kufman, ZEe_NYC and 76jimmy like this.
Old 01-02-2024, 11:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by frankf
So the B6-.2 had narrow rear c&d blocks, B6.3-4 had wider blocks which they told us was better for high grip tracks, now the B7 has blocks that seem even narrower than the first B6, soo which is really better for high grip? Any one else confused?
I understand where you are coming from but as other things change new things are possible elsewhere. And the journey of high grip is still involving at a fast pace.
Old 01-02-2024, 11:43 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Looks like there will be a heavy showing of the B7 this weekend at the Clash of Champions. Curious if they will be running the B7D or the B7. Definitely be a good debut test with TLR, Schumacher, and X-ray all being there.
raved007 and Pistol123 like this.
Old 01-02-2024, 11:50 AM
mes
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by frankf
TBH I was confused by the wide pivots in the first place. The revisions after the B6.2 didn't make any sense to me, the .4 having some decent ideas but not taking them far enough in my book. The B7 seems to have exactly what I have been looking for for years. I couldn't be happier than getting a full production car incorporating quite a few of the ideas in my head with excellent parts support. I can't wait to see factory team option parts that add ball bearings to the sway bar mounts and am intrigued if the diff gear has become larger to allow for smaller spur gears and bring the CG down a bit more. Maybe the B7.1 will move the rear shock tower to the front of the rear shocks to reduce rear wing overhang and the T versions will get a gearbox, rear hubs and shock package to adjust bone angle for lower ride heights, but that may be wishful thinking on my part.
Pistol123 likes this.
Old 01-02-2024, 12:16 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mhughesjr
Looks like there will be a heavy showing of the B7 this weekend at the Clash of Champions. Curious if they will be running the B7D or the B7. Definitely be a good debut test with TLR, Schumacher, and X-ray all being there.
I wish. I bet we'll see full photos and whatnot but I doubt it will be a "heavy" showing. I'm guessing only the big factory guys will have them (Ayden, Spencer, Dustin, etc) and I can't imagine they have a ton of spare parts if someone breaks.
Old 01-02-2024, 12:24 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by b.j.a
I wish. I bet we'll see full photos and whatnot but I doubt it will be a "heavy" showing. I'm guessing only the big factory guys will have them (Ayden, Spencer, Dustin, etc) and I can't imagine they have a ton of spare parts if someone breaks.
So heavy is wrong term, but a lot of FT drivers will be there
Old 01-02-2024, 12:41 PM
mes
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by b.j.a
Based on the timeline of video releases I'd not be surprised to see the kits in US stores maybe #2weeks after the Clash at the latest. They may be being packaged as we are typing or passing through customs. As mentioned before, it doesn't really make sense to advertise a product you are not prepared to sell within a sensible time frame. Who knows, they might be even selling them in the week after the race true to the motto "what wins on Sunday..." although there's a few obstacles such as DP to be overcome. 😉
Team drivers might just get a bag of parts without fancy packaging and spares in a box. I doubt there's a shortage in parts for them in this phase.
Old 01-02-2024, 01:15 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mhughesjr
So heavy is wrong term, but a lot of FT drivers will be there
Oh totally, I didn't mean my post as a "gotcha", just sharing my best guess based on what I've heard.

Originally Posted by mes
Based on the timeline of video releases I'd not be surprised to see the kits in US stores maybe #2weeks after the Clash at the latest. They may be being packaged as we are typing or passing through customs. As mentioned before, it doesn't really make sense to advertise a product you are not prepared to sell within a sensible time frame. Who knows, they might be even selling them in the week after the race true to the motto "what wins on Sunday..." although there's a few obstacles such as DP to be overcome. 😉
Team drivers might just get a bag of parts without fancy packaging and spares in a box. I doubt there's a shortage in parts for them in this phase.
You're almost certainly right. And while FT drivers were unlikely to have been given a bunch of spare arms, it'll likely be a bit different when you have Brett and Co all together for a big race.
mes likes this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.