Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree193Likes

21.5 and 17.5 new stock classes?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2023, 11:24 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by staiguy
a good amount of uk tracks I see on YouTube are run at a school gym. Looks like people show up early and roll out the the carpet and set up the jumps for a weekend. Seems like a huge pain and needs a good amount of helping hands to setup but is a lot cheaper to rent over the costs of running a hobby shop AND track.
Our club does this - we rent a huge hall for club nights, takes us about 40 mins to lay 4 rolls of EOS carpet and setup the track with jumps, we then have 1 hour of open practice, followed by 3 legs of qualifying and 2 leg finals for all. Packing the track away is a bit quicker. Works well - the club doesn't have the cost of running a huge venue, so it let's funding acrue to cover things like new carpet every few years.

​​​​
kufman likes this.
Old 12-11-2023, 11:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ChadoSan
The only people complaining about motor speed and the “wrong” guys in classes is the “40+” crowd.

You’ll never see a young kid complaining about any of these things and they’re all having a blast.

And it appears that the 40+ crowd is what's going to keep this hobby going. I haven't noticed too many younger guys jumping into this hobby.
RCW, Billy Kelly, 0010 and 3 others like this.
Old 12-12-2023, 09:47 AM
Tech Adept

And it appears that the 40+ crowd is what's going to keep this hobby going. I haven't noticed too many younger guys jumping into this hobby.
Young guys are too busy with kids, job, life. Once I'm retired I'll be at the track every week! Right now I'm lucky if I make it once a month.
Old 12-12-2023, 11:26 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jauntyfedora
Young guys are too busy with kids, job, life. Once I'm retired I'll be at the track every week! Right now I'm lucky if I make it once a month.
Maybe if the race day were shorter it'd be easier to get more guys out. It's almost as if there's too many classes being run at most tracks...
Old 12-12-2023, 11:36 AM
Tech Champion

There is, in electric offroad.

Onroad is hit or miss. You have to network to see who's running where. Or bring 3 cars to the track and pray that people show up for one of those classes.

It's all so tiresome.

Outdoors is awesome though. 1/8th ebuggy only. Days go so much quicker. There may be a token truggy or nitro class. But 3 heats is nothing.
MonkeyCmonkeyDo likes this.
Old 12-12-2023, 11:39 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by RC10Nick
Maybe if the race day were shorter it'd be easier to get more guys out. It's almost as if there's too many classes being run at most tracks...
Length and of the race day has more to do with how the RD runs the day. I’ve done on road races with 2 1/12 classes that have been longer then 5 classes for off road.

Since the length of a race day comes up often. How long should an average club race day be? I’ve been to places that run 2 and 3 qualifying rounds. As I’m usually from out of state I prefer 3 rounds. But I understand why some tracks run only 2.
Bcollins82 likes this.
Old 12-12-2023, 12:03 PM
Tech Champion

Fridays should always be quick. Outdoors: QMM.
Indoor carpet:QQM.

Sat and sun should be variable. Announce short and long days on farcebook. Outdoors:QMMM or QQM. Carpet:Whatever, mix it up.
Old 12-12-2023, 12:13 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
Fridays should always be quick. Outdoors: QMM.
Indoor carpet:QQM.

Sat and sun should be variable. Announce short and long days on farcebook. Outdoors:QMMM or QQM. Carpet:Whatever, mix it up.
Format is flexible. But if a club races starts at 11am. Should there be an expectation of end time. One I go to aims for 4pm. If turnout is above average then 5-6pm. Majority of drivers there have a 2hrs commute to track. Just about every track I go to out of state is 3hrs minimum, plus a time change if go east(Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania).
Old 12-12-2023, 02:05 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OffRoadJunkie
local track here could run an under 18 class. Only problem is that are at every skill level, I think two of them are even expert level. Most others are sportsman and occasional rookies that sometimes move up. Majority of the college age kids and younger adults are intermediate level
Old 12-12-2023, 02:51 PM
Tech Elite

local track here could run an under 18 class. Only problem is that are at every skill level, I think two of them are even expert level. Most others are sportsman and occasional rookies that sometimes move up. Majority of the college age kids and younger adults are intermediate level

That's promising to see. At my last track, which is now closed, to have a full lineup, you would have to raise the age to 30 and down... maybe 35 and down.
Old 12-12-2023, 03:52 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RC10Nick
This has been my experience. Now with a kid, no way I can justify a full day of racing. When we had evening club races once a week, sure. I think this is going to be the major impediment to club growth. No one is going to want to 'dip their toes in' if the only option to do is to commit an entire weekend day to it.

My club recently adopted the model of renting a temporary location and setting up for the day on race days only. I get it from the perspective of managing club costs, but I'd be curious as to how European tracks have found this model works for bringing in new blood?
Old 12-18-2023, 05:54 PM
Tech Prophet

a good amount of uk tracks I see on YouTube are run at a school gym. Looks like people show up early and roll out the the carpet and set up the jumps for a weekend. Seems like a huge pain and needs a good amount of helping hands to setup but is a lot cheaper to rent over the costs of running a hobby shop AND track.

Like this. I’d run it But I can imagine the complaints from drivers about the lack of real jumps.
staiguy and MonkeyCmonkeyDo like this.
Old 12-18-2023, 06:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I would rather we broke the classes up into skill levels like the British and French do vs. Adding more classes to water down the masses.
Would make it easier on me and everyone else but maybe not fill ppls pockets as much? Idk.
please offer the 3-5 classes and offer the others on other days.
-d
Old 12-18-2023, 06:45 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by MonkeyCmonkeyDo
I would rather we broke the classes up into skill levels like the British and French do vs. Adding more classes to water down the masses.
Would make it easier on me and everyone else but maybe not fill ppls pockets as much? Idk.
please offer the 3-5 classes and offer the others on other days.
-d
Saturday race
16 heats per round. Just under 2hrs
6 classes. 17.5/21.5/mod 2w. Stock 4w. Stadium truck, SCT
49 in stock buggy
19 in 21.5
9 in mod.

Even if stock has been split into expert/intermediate, it would not have made the rounds any longer
Old 12-18-2023, 07:16 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly
Like this. I’d run it But I can imagine the complaints from drivers about the lack of real jumps.
oh yes there will be complaints but there are always complainers. I know a lot of guys at my local track are missing the big triples jumps instead of fast, long, low jumps or small jumps right before corners. Something about making the track drivable at all skill levels without tons of broken cars or “too easy” layouts. Last time the track looked similar to that, top level complained it was too hard to make a pass.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.