Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree193Likes

21.5 and 17.5 new stock classes?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2023, 03:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 51 (98%+)
Default 21.5 and 17.5 new stock classes?

So is 21.5 and 17.5 going to be the new stock buggy and stock four-wheel drive buggy classes?
Old 12-06-2023, 03:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dayglo33
So is 21.5 and 17.5 going to be the new stock buggy and stock four-wheel drive buggy classes?

OH-OH...
Sounds like another topic for arguments to start.

I can hear ZeroDefect blowing a fuse right now.
Old 12-06-2023, 03:32 PM
Tech Master

Only putting it out there because I'm seeing 17.5 4 wheel buggy popping up now in my area. And in my opinion, 13.5 and 17.5 motors have become quite fast.
mx836 likes this.
Old 12-06-2023, 03:35 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by OffRoadJunkie
OH-OH...
Sounds like another topic for arguments to start.

I can hear ZeroDefect blowing a fuse right now.
[Screaming and smashing old losi junk]

There's 21.5FT buggy, for noobs. "Superstock". With the HW Just Stock Esc spec'd, only. Because nobody could find a worse Esc.

17.5 "stock" buggy.

21.5 stock buggy. A feeder class for 17.5. Many racers are "struggling to jump to 17.5". Lame.

4 wheel buggy is 13.5 only.
Stadium truck is 13.5 only.

17.5 isnt enough motor to move a 4wd buggy. Its just going to be nuclear hot. We've been over this already.

Let me guess: That track sells motors and rotors?

kufman and Flipside6900 like this.
Old 12-06-2023, 03:37 PM
Tech Regular

Truth is that 13.5 4wd is almost as fast as mod 4wd was 20 years ago...
Old 12-06-2023, 03:38 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by rhodopsine
Good.

That's the way 4wd buggy is supposed to be. Stock 4wd is pointless.
kufman and tim powers like this.
Old 12-06-2023, 03:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
4 wheel buggy is 13.5 only.
I knew we've been doing it wrong for all these years over here! We still drive 10.5T in 4WD stock and 13.5T in 2WD.
Old 12-06-2023, 03:45 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by DirkW
I knew we've been doing it wrong for all these years over here! We still drive 10.5T in 4WD stock and 13.5T in 2WD.
That's better, for sure.

Boosted 10.5 would be fun. 6.5 sure is.
Old 12-06-2023, 03:45 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
Good. That's the way 4wd buggy is supposed to be.
Not saying it shouldn't be, but, back in the day, you would start in stock, which was far slower, and as your skills improved, you would switch to mod. Nowadays, the entry class is is probably too fast for most beginners. Mind you, 4wd wasn't a beginner class either back in the day.

Martin Paradis
Old 12-06-2023, 03:48 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by DirkW
Tracks in Europe are usually much bigger that their North American counterparts... Speed perception changes with the size of the tracks.
Old 12-06-2023, 03:56 PM
Tech Elite

I know there needs to be a class for us slower guys, but you will always have some jerk wad, who clearly belongs in the faster class, race in the slower class just so he can make the podium every race. Then his buddy will join the group and next thing you know, there will be a small group of them running illegal gear to try and stay on top. This will just lead the slower guys to request a slower class. next in a couple years, 27.5T will be a class again and the BS will start all over. Sure, you can have track owners/officials demand these racers move to a faster class, but most track owners/officials are buddies with these guys and/or too gutless to do anything.
Old 12-06-2023, 03:59 PM
Tech Master

Not 21.5 no timing on the can stock.

How long should a racer be allowed to race "
stock" class?
Old 12-06-2023, 04:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

yes we started a 21.5 superstock class. Ppl telling me to motor down and actually have a chance. LOL.
uhg or those ppl could go back to rookie or actually race a car with a race motor in it...
we also started 17.5 wheeler and 17.5 st. we run mod sct and its actually starting to pick up.
Old 12-06-2023, 04:13 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by OffRoadJunkie
I know there needs to be a class for us slower guys, but you will always have some jerk wad, who clearly belongs in the faster class, race in the slower class just so he can make the podium every race. Then his buddy will join the group and next thing you know, there will be a small group of them running illegal gear to try and stay on top. This will just lead the slower guys to request a slower class. next in a couple years, 27.5T will be a class again and the BS will start all over. Sure, you can have track owners/officials demand these racers move to a faster class, but most track owners/officials are buddies with these guys and/or too gutless to do anything.
Cherry picking has always been a problem, and unfortunately, the lower the power, the higher the advantage experienced racers have gets. It's a bit of a catch 22. Some people want instant gratification and do not want to take the time to learn the finer points of setting a car, some want to win at any cost and others want to compete in the most crowded field to have some challenge (the best reason to go to a slower class, IMHO). It's unfortunately a bad cycle... The best way to handle this I've seen was a clear rule that if you can run, say a 13 second lap, and do it on a regular basis, you had to move up. Problem is that attendance has been getting smaller over the years and track owners have been reluctant to turn back racers that won't comply with said rule
(rightly so, they need as many racers as possible to keep tracks open).
0010 likes this.
Old 12-06-2023, 04:27 PM
Tech Elite

Cherry picking has always been a problem, and unfortunately, the lower the power, the higher the advantage experienced racers have gets. It's a bit of a catch 22. Some people want instant gratification and do not want to take the time to learn the finer points of setting a car, some want to win at any cost and others want to compete in the most crowded field to have some challenge (the best reason to go to a slower class, IMHO). It's unfortunately a bad cycle... The best way to handle this I've seen was a clear rule that if you can run, say a 13 second lap, and do it on a regular basis, you had to move up. Problem is that attendance has been getting smaller over the years and track owners have been reluctant to turn back racers that won't comply with said rule
(rightly so, they need as many racers as possible to keep tracks open).

And by not moving those guys up can cause other racers to give up and not race at that track or may even just give up racing. When I race, it's a seldom thing. Now that my track closed, it's even more seldom. However, I'm talking about once every few months. I don't get the track time that most of these guys get, so there isn't much of a chance for me to make lead the pack. Therefore, a slower group of racers is more my style. It boils down to what ever gets people out on the track.
RCW and hunterdawg like this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.