Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree36Likes

Bearings and maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2024, 07:25 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

A little oil is better then nothing but letting it go to the point it was crunchy? I think I have too much free time on my hands. Usually do re-oils for both shocks and bearings are about every 4-5 race events or about 5 hours of run time. I did keep the transmission greased for more run time between re-greases. I don’t have that much time plus it’s a pain to take the entire back end apart.

the bearing relube process is quick and easy. De-grease with orange oil, quick air spray (don’t let them spin!!!), 2-3 drops of oil depending on beating size, and done. Give it a quick spin after to work the oil. Less oil is more when relubing
River19 likes this.
Old 05-02-2024, 12:19 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 0010
OK, possibly a dumb question, but here it goes. Does putting a little bearing oil on a greased bearing help, hurt or make no difference at all? I ask in reference to quick maintenance at the track when you don't have time for a full bearing service.

Thanks!
If it’s a metal shield bearing the grease will work it way out as it runs. So if it feels dry then replacing with oil is fine. The oil will accelerate the maintenance period. If the bearings are gritty they need to be cleaned and reoiled as explained above.
0010 likes this.
Old 05-02-2024, 03:20 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

What do you guys recommend for a "citrus based cleaner" ?

I just tore apart one of my TLRs today and replaced all the bearings with Whitz ceramic so I kinda want to stay on top of service.

The TLR kit bearings weren't rolling so well at least in the wheel hubs so this will be a good "reset".......
Old 05-02-2024, 07:28 PM
Tech Regular

Acer Racing recommends the bearing blaster and electronic motor cleaner https://www.acerracing.com/products/...earing-blaster

I use Home Depot Zep Heavy-Duty Citrus Degreaser diluted in an ultrasonic cleaner.
River19 likes this.
Old 05-02-2024, 09:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Zeros way of doing it with the grease is a good way of doing it back on pg1. It's how you do 1:1 scale car wheel bearings and not a bad way of doing it.
I use oil. Yeah racing bearing oil. I simply lay them out on a wad of paper towel. Flat preferably and oil em up. Let it sit for a minute. Wipe and re mount. When theyre crunchy yes toss em and replace. Lol.
I do not recommend running without the shield. Replace the shield and run em. Don't run em open ended.
I run on clay indoor and asphalt outdoor.
hths you
d
Old 05-02-2024, 11:24 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

River19 likes this.

Last edited by staiguy; 05-03-2024 at 08:05 AM.
Old 05-03-2024, 08:26 AM
Tech Regular

In a dirt offroad environment, I tend to see bearings as consumables. No matter how good your maintenance schedule is, some dirt will get in there and ruin your bearings. That plus all the shocks and impacts some of them are constantly subject to (ie. hub bearings...). I never found the time spent on trying to clean them out when gritty to be worth it, especially with the cost of replacements. Now carpet is a different environment, much cleaner, so it may be worth it in that environment, Still, these bearings are subject to loads they were not designed to withstand so they will wear out too.

Martin Paradis
hunterdawg, staiguy and River19 like this.
Old 05-03-2024, 09:00 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rhodopsine
In a dirt offroad environment, I tend to see bearings as consumables. No matter how good your maintenance schedule is, some dirt will get in there and ruin your bearings. That plus all the shocks and impacts some of them are constantly subject to (ie. hub bearings...). I never found the time spent on trying to clean them out when gritty to be worth it, especially with the cost of replacements. Now carpet is a different environment, much cleaner, so it may be worth it in that environment, Still, these bearings are subject to loads they were not designed to withstand so they will wear out too.

Martin Paradis
I think this is a logical approach for dirt or dirty environments.

The wheel hubs especially. I went with the ceramics mostly thinking of the gearbox. If/when the hub bearings start to feel gritty I will look into sourcing some bulk bearings of reasonable quality in the sizes for the 8 hub bearings.
Old 05-06-2024, 09:34 PM
Tech Regular

FWIW, I found my favorite 540 motor bearing

FTP2C-ZZ #7 LD

Boca Bearings SR2C-ZZ Sold as a 10 pack. ABEC 7 with grade 5 Si3N4 ceramic balls come cleaned with no lube. The price is comparable to the RC motor ceramic bearings, but the spec is actually rated for 103K RPMs. I run a bead of Acer SIN oil around the metal seal and let it sit for minimum of 20 minutes before installing them.