Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree22Likes

Bearings and maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2023, 06:38 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by EricW
DRYFLUID RC-CARS english (dry-fluids.com)

I have a bottle from a while ago, but I need to get a new one.
interesting. Thanks
Old 11-17-2023, 03:12 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by BigBuckORamma
Boca also has data sheets available upon request.
This is available on their website.Radial PlayP25BASIC LOAD (KGF)18DYNAMIC LOAD (KGF)50RPM GREASE (X1000)52.70RPM OIL (X1000)58.60
Old 11-17-2023, 09:11 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by oldfool
This is available on their website.Radial PlayP25BASIC LOAD (KGF)18DYNAMIC LOAD (KGF)50RPM GREASE (X1000)52.70RPM OIL (X1000)58.60
Not all bearings have that data on display, especially the smaller bearings. You can get it, but you have to ask.
Old 11-18-2023, 12:26 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

FWIW, I just found out that Avid grades their brushless motor bearings.

I tested a couple bearings in a new Fantom Helix RS 13.5 Spec motor. I will say the Abec 7 orange seal Boca outperformed the other RC branded ceramic bearings, including the Fantom hybrid bearing the market as selected for RC. The Boca bearings had lower amp draw and higher rpm. I was skeptical there would be any difference but Tunalyzer proved me wrong.
Zerodefect and BigBuckORamma like this.
Old 03-04-2024, 04:00 PM
Tech Addict

Personally i am not a fan of the AVID bearings, because they are not graded. There is argument as to whether this really matters, but i personally think it does. I like to know what i am getting, rather than "Trust me, bro".

Now, this is just me, everyone's financial situation is different, so I dont judge, but for me personally, it is a fools errand repacking RC bearings. Its just not worth my time, when the replacement bearing cost is a matter of $5.

I would recommend looking at the bearing kits from 1up Racing or J&T Bearing Company. They use genuine NMB bearings. Which are very smooth, and very high quality steel bearings, and will give you great life and good serviceability.
Because you are racing on black carpet, there is no need for rubber sealed bearings. You wont suffer from the gritty dust issues of dirt or clay. So you can run a full metal shielded bearing on the car without issue, and get the benefit of reduced friction.
Likewise, i also wouldnt use packed grease bearings either. They tend to be very draggy, and require a lot of running in to get the grease flowing nicely. With the metal shielded NMB bearings, for maintenance you can use brake clean to blast out the bearing (out of the car, obviously), dry with some compressed air, and then use a light oil, like the 1up Bearing Oil or J&T's Advantage Bearing Oil, to keep them well lubricated and protected. Then give them a little dab on race day to keep them running smooth.

Both 1up and J&T also offer "Pro kits" which keep the NMB in the axels, and steering system, but use ceramics in the transmission where they are protected, so you dont have to be as crazy with the maintenance on them, as they are not really exposed to dust and dirt.

Occasionally, bearings will go bad, You should check your bearings regularly after race days when you clean your car, to make sure they are all still running smooth, and free. If there is grittiness, binding, or clicking of any kind, throw them out and replace them. Both J&T and 1up carry bearing packs in the common sizes (usually the axle bearings) that you can use to replace worn out/damaged bearings, and they are usually $5-7 for a pack of 4 bearings. So why spend 15-20 minutes cleaning and repacking a bearing, when you can spend $1-2, and just replace it in 30 seconds?

https://pick1up.com/collections/comp...-ball-bearings

https://promotionrc.com/collections/...-kits-by-brand

You can also order both brands bearing kits from AMain as well.

I would just like to update this post, as i see this thread is still getting reads, and likes.

I no longer recommend the 1up bearing kits. The kit that came for my B7 had no ISO marking on them, and they were NOT genuine NMB bearings. To be frank, the quality of the bearings is subpar. They look and feel like cheap generic Chinese bearings. And if i am being honest, i feel a little ripped off.

And after only two club races, and the Desert Classic, there are a couple of hub bearings that are already feeling a little clunky, and will need to be replaced. And that is with a wipe down, and re-lube after every heat. The ceramic bearings in the transmission still feel great though, so fingers crossed those continue to last.

As far as i am aware, the JConcepts bearings are still genuine NMB's.

I will be hitting up my boys at J&T for some replacements, as they used NMB's the last time i ordered from them.
staiguy likes this.
Old 03-05-2024, 09:01 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I would just like to update this post, as i see this thread is still getting reads, and likes.

I no longer recommend the 1up bearing kits. The kit that came for my B7 had no ISO marking on them, and they were NOT genuine NMB bearings. To be frank, the quality of the bearings is subpar. They look and feel like cheap generic Chinese bearings. And if i am being honest, i feel a little ripped off.

And after only two club races, and the Desert Classic, there are a couple of hub bearings that are already feeling a little clunky, and will need to be replaced. And that is with a wipe down, and re-lube after every heat. The ceramic bearings in the transmission still feel great though, so fingers crossed those continue to last.

I will be hitting up my boys at J&T for some replacements, as they used NMB's the last time i ordered from them.
Not NMB but listed on paper as "ABEC 7 Si3N4 silicone nitride ceramic balls". Decent price at $6 per bearing but sold in sets. Right now my racing level is AVIDs are good enough but these seem like a nicer alternative, on paper, than AVIDs. I got a pair in the front hubs of my LD3. On feel/smoothness alone they seem just as nice. Havent had a time to get it on the track for real world performance.
Old 03-05-2024, 11:08 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by staiguy
Not NMB but listed on paper as "ABEC 7 Si3N4 silicone nitride ceramic balls". Decent price at $6 per bearing but sold in sets. Right now my racing level is AVIDs are good enough but these seem like a nicer alternative, on paper, than AVIDs. I got a pair in the front hubs of my LD3. On feel/smoothness alone they seem just as nice. Havent had a time to get it on the track for real world performance.
Which bearings are you talking about here?
Old 03-05-2024, 03:49 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Which bearings are you talking about here?
oops. Forgot to link it - https://exceleraterc.com/bearings/ion-metric/
BigBuckORamma likes this.
Old 03-05-2024, 05:06 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by staiguy
Those are BOCA Bearing Orange Seal Ceramic Hybrid Bearings. Good for the price. And cheaper than buying direct from BOCA.
staiguy likes this.
Old 03-05-2024, 08:39 PM
Tech Regular

When purchasing direct from Boca, you need to buy 4 and 10 packs to get the pricing down. Not all sizes and types are available in 4 or 10 packs.
Old 03-08-2024, 04:37 AM
Tech Lord

As mentioned most RC bearing "companies" do not produce berarings. And maybe they started with reselling NMB but as with most companies there is a hunger for money so a change to some chinese bearings is logical. To be honest, bearings in RC will fail, they have to withstand huge loads (high revs, bumps and jumps) they sometimes are not made for and gets a constant stream of dirt that sometimes crawls beyond the seal.

You can get the best quality you want an still it will be a question when they will fail or get some cheap bearing directly from Asia and replace them on time w/o any maintenance with a big smile because the price is to laugh about.
Old 03-10-2024, 04:06 AM
Tech Master

Laughable prices per piece, yes. But when you're replacing 200 bearings on small fleet of RCs for when friends/family come over to play with your toys, I had to change my bearing maintenance program. YMMV
Old 03-22-2024, 03:00 PM
Tech Rookie

exactly , well said .
Old 04-25-2024, 10:32 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

OK, possibly a dumb question, but here it goes. Does putting a little bearing oil on a greased bearing help, hurt or make no difference at all? I ask in reference to quick maintenance at the track when you don't have time for a full bearing service.

Thanks!
River19 likes this.