Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree181Likes

Losi 1/4 Promoto-MX Motorcycle

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2023, 08:29 AM
Tech Rookie

I got mine Monday, it is awesome. The steering actually is opposite, so you steer left and the wheel goes right. This is because a bike steers by leaning and the counter steer initiates the lean. It seems weird, but works well. It does take a while to learn to turn sharp, hard braking into the turn, then throttle and release the steering. I recommend gluing the exhaust tip, I already lost mine. I was running it at a local park and people were going nuts, it is the most popular RC vehicle ever.

I got the red version w/o battery, so I soldered on a different connector that fits my packs and it works fine. I did have trouble getting the redio to connect upon start up, but pointing the front of the transmitter toward the bike seems to help. I have not run it at the off road track yet, but I think it will be cool. It does amazing roost throwing drifts on power. I also ordered the Supermoto wheels and tires with the 50% discount coupon included with the bike. The stock knobs are wearing quickly on asphalt.
nitrous36, bratan and ThisIsRDG like this.
Old 07-05-2023, 08:57 AM
Regional Moderator

Thats good. So it seems promising. Maybe it'll spawn a new racing class.
Old 07-05-2023, 10:43 AM
Tech Master

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora La Reina de Los Ángeles del Río de Porciúncula, California, Unites States of America
Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

TLR Tuned Moto, would be great!! So much to be excited about this.

Glad more scale-like racing is becoming popular from motocross, monster truck, drag racing, rally racing, drift, rock racing etc. Losi has been touching most of these categories and excelling in them as well

Originally Posted by 76jimmy
If the riding characteristics translate 1:5 scale from 1:1. Entry speed and power on exit will determine how quick you can clear a corner. If you upset the front end on entry forget it you'll blow straight through. Lots of info on riding techniques for real motos not so much on rc. I'd love to get my hands on one to try. I can't help but think they are going to do a TLR version like the LMT? Cool to see something different out there
Old 07-06-2023, 06:58 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Hoosier RC Hobbyplex posted some videos of one on their Facebook page running on the offroad track. It'll be interesting how the Supermoto and Holeshot tires do on different surfaces
Old 07-06-2023, 02:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (94%+)

Old 07-06-2023, 04:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (94%+)

Originally Posted by Masami Halsey
NONE of the reviews talk about this. Does the driver have to turn right to initiate left turns? It's a mystery.

I suspect not, because the average reviewer doesn't have the skill to do this.

Most RC motos have had the gyro weight in the wheel, and this would create a completely different dynamic -vs- the chassis-mounted weight.

So, step it up, reviewers!
No the driver doesn't have to move at all. Like you said the real game changer on this that i think Many reviewers are missing is the fact the Gyro is powered up and stays powered up. If you hold the bike in your hand and try to move it. you can literally feel the gyro fighting you. I got mine today and man was i impressed. i have had many other rc bikes. but nothing like this thing. it just straight works. i cant wait to get to a track where i can get used to driving it. There is ways to get it to turn tighter. you have to drive it through the corner with the throttle. it will take some learning, but guys will get it figured out pretty quick.
Old 07-06-2023, 05:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by savage24x
Ordered the Jeremy Martin ClubMX model. Also got orange plastics, black wheels, and orange hubs along with the holeshots. Is it Christmas yet??? Sure feels like it!
Ugh, shop won't get them in until late July. No luck with the shop rep at Horizon either. Itching to get mine, seeing all of these videos and friends getting theirs already!
Old 07-09-2023, 05:57 AM
Regional Moderator

Losi Promoto MX first race at Backer Patch RC Park

https://youtube.com/watch?v=l6hKAraBmpQ&feature=share7
Rick Vessell likes this.
Old 07-09-2023, 06:21 AM
Super Moderator

Looks cool but I worry about parts support in the long term.
Old 07-09-2023, 06:38 AM
Regional Moderator

Im still concerned for durability. Because they're going to crash and flip a lot. Especially while people get use to them.
Old 07-09-2023, 09:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nitrous36
Losi Promoto MX first race at Backer Patch RC Park

https://youtube.com/watch?v=l6hKAraBmpQ&feature=share7
Wow, that was comically bad. Did anyone make it around one full lap without wrecking? Once or twice I saw a marshal put a bike back on the track only for it to just immediately fall over and need to be marshalled again.
Billy Kelly likes this.
Old 07-09-2023, 10:40 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Bike turns fine...

This thing turns fine. Took a lil getting used to but turns fine. Just like mentioned above. Brake when straight, turn, straighten the wheel and go. It turns very well, slow or fast. Just like a real bike, you are not going to make a u-turn going 100mph an a two lane road.

This thing is very tough so far. Ran it under my truck at full speed and hit the rear end. It sounded bad, real bad. Thought i broke something for sure. Only did cosmetic damage. The rear tire is getting beat up on pavement. Like all off raod tires do. The riders clothes are getting beat up as well. This thing is tough. Plastic body is getting scratches and scuffs.
Once people get used to turning these racing will be fun.

Real happy with this thing so far. I got the red #23.

Wheelie mode is awesome
Old 07-09-2023, 08:31 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RC10Nick
Wow, that was comically bad. Did anyone make it around one full lap without wrecking? Once or twice I saw a marshal put a bike back on the track only for it to just immediately fall over and need to be marshalled again.
Give it a little time. I raced in the early days of RC off road. It really wasn’t much better. People will get it figured out. Like real mx bikes, track features (berms) that suit them might go a long way too.
nitrous36 and mx836 like this.
Old 07-10-2023, 05:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Davidka
Give it a little time. I raced in the early days of RC off road. It really wasn’t much better. People will get it figured out. Like real mx bikes, track features (berms) that suit them might go a long way too.
Maybe, but the whole "they'll drive so much better when people learn how to drive them right" argument I'm seeing repeated everywhere about these things sounds like pure copium. This thing didn't look that impressive even with Frank Root driving it around a track so what chance do normal folks stand?

I also don't see many track owners modifying their tracks just for these things. That's a lot of work.

Unrelated, but how long until someone comes to this thread asking for carpet/turf setup advice?
nitrous36 likes this.
Old 07-10-2023, 06:13 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RC10Nick

... Unrelated, but how long until someone comes to this thread asking for carpet/turf setup advice?
Funny, was giving this a look as a fun vehicle and we got turf here with a rubber backing that they used to run 1/5 scales on due to its durability (we just go up to 1/8 now that we got it). Popular tires on our surface are schumacher mini darts / mezzos, proline pyramids, or jconcepts nessis / sirens, etc. So maybe the stock tires would be good on this?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.