Search
Like Tree149Likes

Team Associated B74.2 / B74.2D

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2022, 12:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 380 (99%+)

Originally Posted by MrLean
I think the gull-wing arms/tower is going to be a huge difference. One of the biggest weaknesses of the old car was the twitchy-ness, this should help tremendously (similar to when they changed the arms on the truck).

Most likely won't be able to bolt the new tower onto to the old gearbox, and probably won't be able to bolt the new gearbox onto the old chassis....which means I'll be getting a 74.2

Surprised they changed to thicker (and probably heavier?) turnbuckles, when they are trying to save weight. I don't remember ever having an issue with the old ones on any of my 64/74 cars. New ballcups are going to be a big hit with those who preferred the old b5m ballcups, though!
Same rear shock tower according to the instruction manual, which means same mounting holes. Hopefully the front will be as well.
MrLean likes this.
Old 09-08-2022, 01:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pocket_Fred
Ill stick with my 74.1 and throw the 13mm shocks on it and call it a day
Might do that and add the new internal diff gears.
Old 09-08-2022, 03:17 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Silverbullet555
I saw pic and they are using disks. I get what you're saying and wonder if there is a corresponding disk for the pinion?
Instruction manuals are already on the AE website. Rear gearbox casing has the adjustable height on pinion to match diff height.

There are two front boxes…one 0mm and one 2mm so no need for adjustable height at front, it’s built into casing.
Old 09-08-2022, 04:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

The Changes in this car are far more significant than you might think. Many of the features are designed specifically to reduce weight in the car, but that is only part of the story. The 13mm shocks make a big difference on the buggy drivability and landing is significantly improved. Actually the impact of 13mm shocks is even more on the 4wd than it is on the 2wd because of the weight differences. The LTC gears make a big difference and increase corner speed in a very noticeable way. Especially, with the plastic internal gears within the front and rear diff. The changes to the ball cups might seem like a small difference but you would be shocked at how much bind ball cups cause which can potentially impact traction in the car. Also, I am not mad about 3.5mm turnbuckles, this seems like the right move. Reducing weight up high will help as well, the B74.1 can suffer from a boaty feel on the track, so reducing weight by dropping the aluminum diff height adjustment will help with that. The new front arms will make some difference as well, what seems like a bunch of small changes actually adds up to be quite a bit of improvement. I was actually shocked at how much changed between the B74.1 and the B74.2.

The AE platforms are all about evolution, they take what works and continually improves them on a very regular basis. At least they are continually improving the platform (or at least trying), which is more then you can say from some of the other companies out there. I am pretty sure the AE team does a lot of testing in the real world and this really helps them to finds what works and what does not. I have to assume that the feedback from the team is what drove much of the changes on these platforms.

Anyway, I am personally excited to get the B74.2 and leverage the improvements and weight savings, because the lower weight car seems to make a big difference in drivability at my local track on the 4wd platforms.
Lordzod likes this.
Old 09-09-2022, 09:06 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by artwork
The Changes in this car are far more significant than you might think. Many of the features are designed specifically to reduce weight in the car, but that is only part of the story. The 13mm shocks make a big difference on the buggy drivability and landing is significantly improved. Actually the impact of 13mm shocks is even more on the 4wd than it is on the 2wd because of the weight differences. The LTC gears make a big difference and increase corner speed in a very noticeable way. Especially, with the plastic internal gears within the front and rear diff. The changes to the ball cups might seem like a small difference but you would be shocked at how much bind ball cups cause which can potentially impact traction in the car. Also, I am not mad about 3.5mm turnbuckles, this seems like the right move. Reducing weight up high will help as well, the B74.1 can suffer from a boaty feel on the track, so reducing weight by dropping the aluminum diff height adjustment will help with that. The new front arms will make some difference as well, what seems like a bunch of small changes actually adds up to be quite a bit of improvement. I was actually shocked at how much changed between the B74.1 and the B74.2.

The AE platforms are all about evolution, they take what works and continually improves them on a very regular basis. At least they are continually improving the platform (or at least trying), which is more then you can say from some of the other companies out there. I am pretty sure the AE team does a lot of testing in the real world and this really helps them to finds what works and what does not. I have to assume that the feedback from the team is what drove much of the changes on these platforms.

Anyway, I am personally excited to get the B74.2 and leverage the improvements and weight savings, because the lower weight car seems to make a big difference in drivability at my local track on the 4wd platforms.

I agree with you on the gearbox weight and arms. On the turnbuckles, to me, AE went to a Yokomo style setup. I did the same for this upcoming season and I had to do a double take. It was almost the same as mine.

The shocks are one where I will wait and see. I know I will get them, just do not know exactly when. From what I read (limited scope I know) it is 60/40 in favor of the shocks. Maybe when the chassis and gearboxes are available, I might just bite the bullet on the shocks.
Old 09-12-2022, 04:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MrLean
I think the gull-wing arms/tower is going to be a huge difference. One of the biggest weaknesses of the old car was the twitchy-ness, this should help tremendously (similar to when they changed the arms on the truck).

Most likely won't be able to bolt the new tower onto to the old gearbox, and probably won't be able to bolt the new gearbox onto the old chassis....which means I'll be getting a 74.2

Surprised they changed to thicker (and probably heavier?) turnbuckles, when they are trying to save weight. I don't remember ever having an issue with the old ones on any of my 64/74 cars. New ballcups are going to be a big hit with those who preferred the old b5m ballcups, though!
Originally Posted by b.j.a
Also, the AE guys did really well in 4wd MOD and 13.5 it at the ROAR nats. I wonder if any of them were running B74.2 components. Looking at some of the pics I'm willing to bet some of them were at least running 13mm shocks...
Originally Posted by jonski
Same rear shock tower according to the instruction manual, which means same mounting holes. Hopefully the front will be as well.
Hi guys, we just received our kits and havent been able to run the 74.2 yet but can answer a few questions:
- The 13mm shocks make a huge difference to the 4wd jump landing and we have been running for some time.
- The LTC gear sets also make a huge difference to traction and rotation and I've been surprised how much of an improvement these made on both low and high grip tracks. If you were to upgrade one part on your 74.1, do this
- LTC gears and 13mm shocks were used by the team on their 74.1 at the ROAR nats, rest is history .
- The front and rear shock towers are interchangeable from 74.1 to 74.2 [ie you can run gull on 74.1 and flat on 74.2]

Ray
DaveW, HeavyD99, RogerM and 6 others like this.
Old 09-14-2022, 05:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Up on Amain now for sale at $529.99 - https://bit.ly/3eS27WE
Old 09-15-2022, 09:27 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RazorRC
Up on Amain now for sale at $529.99 - https://bit.ly/3eS27WE
Is that an affiliate link?
Old 09-15-2022, 11:58 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Cromulent
It 100% is. "?avad=270765_d2aff08e1" is appended to the end of the URL, which is the tracking syntax of the affiliate link.

Normally, i dont have an issue with affiliate links, especially if he wants to post it in the details of his YT videos, but not disclosing it on a forum post...eh...not a good look, IMHO.

Here are some CLEAN standard links for anyone interested.

Team Associated RC10B74.2 Team 1/10 4WD Off-Road Electric Buggy Kit
https://www.amainhobbies.com/team-as...90036/p1447396

Team Associated RC10B74.2D Team 1/10 4WD Off-Road Electric Buggy Kit
https://www.amainhobbies.com/team-as...90037/p1447397
Old 09-16-2022, 08:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cromulent
apologies, yes I should have mentioned that, I do mark it as such in all of my videos.
Old 09-16-2022, 10:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Old 09-16-2022, 10:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

In for info.
Old 09-16-2022, 11:03 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

A-main claims my kit was delivered today, let the building begin This kit was perfect timing because I was needed new drivetrain parts on my .1.
Old 09-17-2022, 09:40 AM
Tech Regular

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 10-06-2022, 09:05 AM
Tech Adept

Where is all the action at? I just ran my new kit last night for the first time. Ran my fastest qualifier and main all season and finished both races with a 98% consistency. The car felt great and was super consistent, noticeable improvement on flat landings and feeling more "in the track" over my .1.

Just got my plastic gears (I run mod on a medium traction clay track with a center diff). The LTC gears feel really smooth and I have read a few places some are going up in diff fluid. I ran 10/400/7 with the kit gears last night but as I am putting in the plastic gears I might try 15/400/10. Anyone else change fluids with the LTC gears?
HeavyD99 likes this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.