Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Team Associated RC8B4e >

Team Associated RC8B4e

Like Tree26Likes

Team Associated RC8B4e

Old 02-24-2022, 10:52 AM
  #16  
Tech Adept
 
xfbaap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Elmvale Ontario
Posts: 182
Default

Originally Posted by carris View Post
yeah just got mine for a deal 😎
I live up in Canada, we never find deals 😬
Jordan Anderson likes this.
xfbaap is offline  
Old 02-24-2022, 11:40 AM
  #17  
Tech Legend
iTrader: (285)
 
Cain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: West Fargo, North Dakota
Posts: 33,414
Trader Rating: 285 (100%+)
Default

Looks like pricing approaching $700, seems to be the target of the new normal for 1/8 buggy?
Cain is offline  
Old 02-24-2022, 12:13 PM
  #18  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (6)
 
kufman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Elburn, IL
Posts: 3,548
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by MX304 View Post
Yeah, but I can't use any of the numerous full size 4S packs I have already invested way too much $$$$ in. Plus I have never liked the way saddle pack cars drive. That front motor config just puts way too much weight up front.
Ya, I tried this layout 10 years ago with my original RC8. I can't say it drove very well. The Tekno V4 conversion was the best for that car. Saddle configurations do some bad things for weight distribution (weight too far out to the sides, weight in the corners of the chassis, weight decentralized front to back). Curious choice for AE for sure.
kufman is offline  
Old 02-24-2022, 02:03 PM
  #19  
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 38
Default

Surely the much lower c of g with the saddle shorties has to be the future for E-Buggy?
AntH3001 is offline  
Old 02-24-2022, 03:36 PM
  #20  
Tech Legend
iTrader: (285)
 
Cain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: West Fargo, North Dakota
Posts: 33,414
Trader Rating: 285 (100%+)
Default

With AE running with this, curious what people have heard of how the xray take on this has worked out for them, maybe its handling characterstics would be kind of similar?
Cain is offline  
Old 02-24-2022, 03:57 PM
  #21  
Tech Elite
Thread Starter
iTrader: (20)
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,736
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
With AE running with this, curious what people have heard of how the xray take on this has worked out for them, maybe its handling characterstics would be kind of similar?
One of our locals has the XRay and has tried the saddle pack setup and the traditional brick layout. He likes the brick setup better. He felt the saddle layout put way too much weight over the front.
Cain likes this.
MX304 is offline  
Old 02-24-2022, 04:51 PM
  #22  
Tech Initiate
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Beaumont Tx
Posts: 46
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Looks to be interesting changes, torn on the saddle pack design Iíll have to see how it handles.
Dmill78 is offline  
Old 02-24-2022, 07:01 PM
  #23  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (2)
 
Alexv2024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Ohio
Posts: 906
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

You guys are discounting the changes the new front end will have. If its less aggressive or something like that, it might be a good combo with the saddle packs.

I think it'll be interesting to see how it performs once its released.
Cain likes this.
Alexv2024 is offline  
Old 02-25-2022, 08:04 AM
  #24  
Tech Legend
iTrader: (285)
 
Cain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: West Fargo, North Dakota
Posts: 33,414
Trader Rating: 285 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by MX304 View Post
One of our locals has the XRay and has tried the saddle pack setup and the traditional brick layout. He likes the brick setup better. He felt the saddle layout put way too much weight over the front.
The Xray has almost more of a caster racing-ish look to it when in saddle configuration at least from what I recall.

Originally Posted by Alexv2024 View Post
You guys are discounting the changes the new front end will have. If its less aggressive or something like that, it might be a good combo with the saddle packs.

I think it'll be interesting to see how it performs once its released.
Yeah you have a point there too.

Be curious to see how it works out. At least when the Caster Racing vehicle was around, it wasn't squirelly in the rear from what I recall at the tracks I went to where it showed up in the very early days of 1/8 e buggy when stuff was really blown out. Though, watching its battery packs and trays fly out of the car on a hard landing was not the most confidence inspiring lol.
Cain is offline  
Old 02-26-2022, 08:14 AM
  #25  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (85)
 
Davidka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 10,843
Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)
Default

Nice update. Interesting for all of the feature lists and data points offered on the launch page, they have not cited a weight savings number on the new configuration, which is glossed over in the video.I think it’s a big miss, considering what racers pay in the aftermarket for weight saving upgrades. At any rate, I think he 2x2s battery configuration will be attractive to 1/10 scale racers.

Tempted….

Edit: I indulged my curiosity a little. Weighed an older 4s/4200mah full length battery and 2x 2s/5000 batteries to compare.

4s = 530g
2x4s shorty = 425g.

Full disclosure, the 4s battery is generationally older than the 2s packs are. It is possible (likely) that a comparable 4s would be more energy dense and therefore lighter weight.
Davidka is offline  
Old 02-26-2022, 12:23 PM
  #26  
Tech Master
iTrader: (4)
 
RazorRC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 1,581
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Davidka View Post

Edit: I indulged my curiosity a little. Weighed an older 4s/4200mah full length battery and 2x 2s/5000 batteries to compare.

4s = 530g
2x4s shorty = 425g.

Full disclosure, the 4s battery is generationally older than the 2s packs are. It is possible (likely) that a comparable 4s would be more energy dense and therefore lighter weight.
Two 2S Gens Ace redline 6000mah shorties are 440g total, a single Gens Ace redline 6000mah full size 4S is 447g. Numbers taken from the GA website, but I have these batteries and they sound accurate.

Add in the extra wiring and plugs and the saddle packs are probably a little heavier.
RazorRC is offline  
Old 02-26-2022, 03:52 PM
  #27  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (85)
 
Davidka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 10,843
Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by RazorRC View Post
Two 2S Gens Ace redline 6000mah shorties are 440g total, a single Gens Ace redline 6000mah full size 4S is 447g. Numbers taken from the GA website, but I have these batteries and they sound accurate.

Add in the extra wiring and plugs and the saddle packs are probably a little heavier.
Thatís a better representation of the weights I think. There would also be more battery mounting parts and hardware for the twin packs.

Maybe the lightweight pitch is leaning on the use of short format packs. Been a while since I raced 1/8 somI donít know how common short packs are or arenít lately.

Davidka is offline  
Old 02-26-2022, 04:39 PM
  #28  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (17)
 
rearviewmirror's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Melbourne / Austin
Posts: 2,112
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by RazorRC View Post
Two 2S Gens Ace redline 6000mah shorties are 440g total, a single Gens Ace redline 6000mah full size 4S is 447g. Numbers taken from the GA website, but I have these batteries and they sound accurate.

Add in the extra wiring and plugs and the saddle packs are probably a little heavier.


platgof and RazorRC like this.
rearviewmirror is offline  
Old 02-26-2022, 07:22 PM
  #29  
Tech Master
iTrader: (4)
 
RazorRC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 1,581
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Whatíd they send me the heavy ones? Measured 424 and 425 on two different scales. I want a refund!



Davidka and bratan like this.
RazorRC is offline  
Old 02-27-2022, 08:16 AM
  #30  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (85)
 
Davidka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 10,843
Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)
Default

RazorRC , youíre special, they packed a few extra mahís into yours.
RazorRC likes this.
Davidka is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.