Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

*SOCAL raceway* offroad thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 09:56 PM
Tech Initiate

Default It could also be

The first mistake you made was buying that XTM. It's not something that you would want to develope your driving skill with.

Buy cheap, buy twice!!!

I know about Hobby People 's parts availability. You 're screwed most of the time when the first batch runs out.

Secondly, you can't compare setup with others that race AE or Losi.

Finally, Are you running the Novak 5.5 ? You can't lay the power down with that setup unless you 're totally dialed.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:57 AM
Tech Master

true ... i have nothing against the xtm and for 99bux for the rtr it was a great beginners truck,, the layout is just the same almost as the t4 ,,, the only thing different are the shocks which are bottom loaded like the losi,,,

i can get the car as dialed in as much as i can,, and when i just cant do anymore and ALL my extra parts run out,and i want to spend the xtra money, then i might upgrade... there are those that race the nitro version with success so i would like to do the same with the electric..

it aint the best car but it is mine and im trying to make best of what i have by taking advice from you guys so i have a better understanding on how to set mine up.. it will never be a losi or associated it will always be the underdog and for that i will continue to drive it,,,

as far as the gtb is concerned.. i love it and i have been able to use the power it has,,, when conditions are right and i have enough time to practice my driving is pretty good,, im not the best but i try,,, the changes i made just made my driving that more difficult

i will make the set up changes and see what happens..

for anyone that would like to drive it ,, your more than welcome
Old 07-12-2006, 07:08 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

I applaud you for trying to get this car to work. I am sure it is a very capable car. You just need to keep being willing to try new things. There are a very few cars that have a "Magic setup". You as a driver with your own preferences need to figure out how to make the car do what you want. Keep trying new things. Ask questions and there are a lot of very capable tuners at So Cal that if you identify what the car is not doing should be able to suggest good changes to help get the truck to handle the way you want it to. I am not a personal fan of XTM but then again I am not a huge fan of the AE cars but that is a preference. The XTM cars are very durable and have tunability. There is nothing wrong with the truck and with some effort you should be able to get it to do what you want.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:22 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Casper
I applaud you for trying to get this car to work. I am sure it is a very capable car. You just need to keep being willing to try new things. There are a very few cars that have a "Magic setup". You as a driver with your own preferences need to figure out how to make the car do what you want. Keep trying new things. Ask questions and there are a lot of very capable tuners at So Cal that if you identify what the car is not doing should be able to suggest good changes to help get the truck to handle the way you want it to. I am not a personal fan of XTM but then again I am not a huge fan of the AE cars but that is a preference. The XTM cars are very durable and have tunability. There is nothing wrong with the truck and with some effort you should be able to get it to do what you want.
well thanks for those words.. i havent been given the xtm much justice,,, every time i have been to a race, it was after working a night shift (10pm-6am) and the final heat was usually late that night (supercross and babcock) ,,,, it sucks trying to land a jump when you can barely keep your eye open and you think your seeing things that arent there .. lol
Old 07-12-2006, 03:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 117 (100%+)

jaew1 do you go on saturdays? i remember quite a few kids and some guys had some xtm trucks..and i was on the straight...and i gunned it..expecting to dust all of em..but one was like hella fast. lol. i assume that was u.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:32 PM
Tech Master

i was there one saturday... i had a beat up old body... i have a new one now,, the same in the video (ofcourse) black with a lil white and red.. but it probably was me..not 100% sure but maybe 99% sure

this is me ajbrl.. not a pretty pic so i hope you guys arent eating.. http://jbphotography.smugmug.com/gal...263/7/73953632
Old 07-12-2006, 06:00 PM
Tech Elite

oh nvm. it was some other guy. he had the stock body...im not sure what he was running..pretty sure it was some sort of novak brushless...wasnt much faster than my 5800 so..yep. diff. guy haha
Old 07-13-2006, 07:04 PM
Tech Master

well going there tonight.. took away my antisquat,, , kept the tires on,, i have others that i will switch out just to make sure.. i raised my rear end slightly, ,, dogbones level.. and now that the wire on the motor is soldered back together i will be able to drive the way i know how..lol..
Old 07-14-2006, 05:30 AM
Tech Master

well after driving around on used r3's ,,, which work perfectly fine on a new wet layout,,, but suck for the present conditions... i put on a set of evil twins,,, wow what a difference... a huge difference... the car actually flipped over backwards when i first WOT,,,,, and did somersaults on the back straight,,,,, i will try addidng the 2-degrees antisquat and see what type of performance i will get from that... i can only test it on monday so i hope the track hasnt changed,,, if so then i will have to go to a different tire..

im still learning about set ups so bare with me.. might have to get a set of those evil twins for my 4wd aswell..
Old 07-14-2006, 07:26 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Slim is going to change the layout on Sunday.This one has been in there for a while, it's time for a change.
Old 07-14-2006, 07:48 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by moto67e
Slim is going to change the layout on Sunday.This one has been in there for a while, it's time for a change.
yeah i figured that much,,, kind of thought/ wished it would stay for longer,, like some layouts have in the past...... change is always good.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:29 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

I talked to Slim tonight and he said he is going to change some of the jumps but the pipes are going to stay the same for the most part.
Old 07-17-2006, 12:31 AM
Tech Addict

Just got back from the Hot Rod Hobbies Shoot-Out... all I can say is that as a racer, SoCal spoils you big time. 4 days of running in 100+ degree heat, sleeping in an RV, going to sleep late and getting up really early, and having to pit out in the sun really makes you appreciate everything SoCal offers. Or SoCal just makes you lazy. Or perhaps I'm just really lazy. I would have killed for an air conditioned building to pit in (and I had several people in mind, too ). I'm looking forward to getting back out to SoCal.
Hopefully the new layout will be good... I'm looking forward to seeing what Slim can do with the track the way the pipes are now. the last two layouts have been pretty fun.
Old 07-17-2006, 12:40 AM
Tech Elite

hey jb. dude, you should pit in ur RV! LOL! haha jp...anyway...maybe you should try those portable ACs..that go for like i think 20-30 bucks at walmart? you drop in some water or ice or something, and it blows out cold air..now THAT is how u do it..

lol, yea the top reason why i like socal is that you have everything around you...food is only a few steps away.....the part shop is right there...and even though it is hot in the driver's stand a bit (well...kinda for me..cuz i try to concentrate LOL) its always nice to sit infront of your fan..or stand infront of the gigantic fan for a few minutes...yep...socal is the ideal place...theres food, parts, facilities, two tracks, nice pits, and the 99cent store for cheapo stuff..

so...how was the hodrod shootout? besides being 100 degrees...how did u run?
Old 07-17-2006, 12:58 AM
Tech Addict

lol... I was staying with AJ Freeman and his dad in their RV. They did have an AC unit, but it gave out every day after a few hours of running.

I ran pretty well in stock. I made the A. They ran triple A mains, which was pretty fun. I qualified 9th, got 6th in my first main, 2nd in my second main, and 5th in my third main, for a fifth place finish overall... got a trophy, so that's kinda cool. I should have pictures up sometime this week on my website if all goes well.
As for Mod and 19t.... hehe... I don't want to take about it I pretty much blew out in both of those classes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.