Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rustler 4×4 vlc pinion issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2021, 11:19 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Rustler 4×4 vlc pinion issue

So I just bought my my first rc car and on the second day of having it, after a small rollover, the gears aren't engaging and the car won't move. Upon removing the cover to the gears, I noticed that the pinion gear is only touching the very edge of the larger gear. (Sorry I don't know a lot of the part names yet). The motor post that the pinion is on is still spinning when I accelerate, but the pinion just slides around the post. When I physically push the car back and forth, the gears all still move, it just seems to be detached from the motor post. I am very new to all of this, and any step-by-step help would be greatly appreciated.
Tried posting a pic, but apparently I'm too new to the forum to do that....
Old 04-17-2021, 06:14 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

It sounds like motor may have moved and messed up the gear mesh. It also sounds like you may have lost the set screw (or it could have loosened) that holds the pinion gear to the motor. The pinion uses a small set screw on the side that screws down onto the flat on the motor shaft.
The pinion interacts with the spur gear and they need a specific mesh set where the gears need to be as close together as possible and then backed off just slightly so that the spur gear can barely move back and forth without the pinion moving. There are a couple of screws holding the motor to the mount that you can loosen and tighten to adjust the gear mesh.

Old 04-22-2021, 07:43 AM
Tech Rookie

Maybe you must readjust the motor. Look if the mounting has such a slotted hole where you can vary the distance between the smaller and the bigger gear