Search
Like Tree23Likes

Tapping plastic during build

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2020, 10:19 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by UK.hardcore
if you use a tap you remove material and that means you lose strength.
I disagree with this if you're talking about the strength of the threads in the plastic holding the fastener in the hole. This is because sometimes self-tapping the screw leaves a worm of plastic that comes out when a screw is removed, or can get mashed into the threads in the plastic if removing and replacing the screw. This doesn't happen or matter enough for me to bother with using a tap set, but I think this does weaken threads in plastic where it happens. Generally less material meaning less strength, but mashed up threads are threads with less material doing its job.
Silverbullet555 likes this.
Old 12-15-2020, 12:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I wouldn't tap plastic. like mentioned before, it would weaken it. A little drill works nicely.

If hand threading plastic with a bolt is getting too hard, I would recommend not building a Kyosho kit. They use a really hard plastic that can cause some serious had cramps.
Old 12-15-2020, 02:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 119 (100%+)

I've had to drill out too many stripped heads of titanium and aluminum screws on used vehicles, where someone threaded the screw directly into Associated 'hard' plastic without any prep work ... if the application warrants it, tap the hole as a precaution ...
Old 12-15-2020, 03:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I wouldn't tap. When you tap you remove material, and the screw will probably come lose.
The principle that is use on RC cars is that the screw forms the thread, moving the material towards it, therefore making the plastic "hold" the screw. The same principle is use in machining, its called roll tapping. The hole size is bigger than on a cut tap, what roll tapping does is it "rolls" the material towards the tap, forming the thread, not cutting it.
Silverbullet555 likes this.
Old 12-15-2020, 04:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I tapped the holes on one kit and will never do it ever again, every screw that was tapped started to back out on it's own. I would have to check every screw after each run and re tighten them. Then I used thread lock and that helped a bit. Also the threaded holes stripped out easier because of the constant retightening. Maybe tap to get the holes started, but not all the way.
Old 12-15-2020, 04:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Double post whoops!
Old 12-15-2020, 07:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nitrodude
I wouldn't tap. When you tap you remove material, and the screw will probably come lose.
The principle that is use on RC cars is that the screw forms the thread, moving the material towards it, therefore making the plastic "hold" the screw. The same principle is use in machining, its called roll tapping. The hole size is bigger than on a cut tap, what roll tapping does is it "rolls" the material towards the tap, forming the thread, not cutting it.
This is a screen capture from a website describing pros and cons of using roll (form) taps compared to cutting taps

I have never used a tap on any plastic mainly because I didn't think it was necessary. After reading the posts here, especially the one from the fella who did use a tap and the screws kept coming loose, I realize just what a bad idea it would be. Spinning a tap in for the first couple of threads or so would be a good compromise I think but only if it was extremely hard to get the screw started in extremely hard plastic
nitrodude likes this.
Old 12-15-2020, 07:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OffRoadJunkie
If hand threading plastic with a bolt is getting too hard, I would recommend not building a Kyosho kit. They use a really hard plastic that can cause some serious had cramps.
No argument here. When I'm assembling a part that uses more than one screw I'll turn one screw in two or three turns and switch to the other screws and back again until they're all tight. Gives my wrist a little bit of a break between screws. On a slightly different topic, what are your guys opinions of disassembling to put in Ti screws after initial assembly was complete. My opinion is taking screws out and putting new ones in probably doesn't have enough effect to decrease the hold of the screw but I also think nothing would be as good as the first time the screw goes into the plastic. Opinions?
Old 12-15-2020, 09:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Milkdudd
No argument here. When I'm assembling a part that uses more than one screw I'll turn one screw in two or three turns and switch to the other screws and back again until they're all tight. Gives my wrist a little bit of a break between screws. On a slightly different topic, what are your guys opinions of disassembling to put in Ti screws after initial assembly was complete. My opinion is taking screws out and putting new ones in probably doesn't have enough effect to decrease the hold of the screw but I also think nothing would be as good as the first time the screw goes into the plastic. Opinions?
I can't speak to current materials as I haven't built a kit in 20 years that required regular maintenance and taking them down completely. Back in the day, we completely disassembled cars every week in between races. Didn't seem to create a problem with screws backing out. Perhaps because of what was discussed earlier. The threads forming vs cutting them perhaps.
Old 12-16-2020, 08:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I haven't had an issue with it. They go back in pretty easy.

I'm referring to taping it with the original screw before inserting a Ti-screw. I would not tap plastic with a tap. I would, however, tap that... never mind.

Last edited by OffRoadJunkie; 12-16-2020 at 10:14 AM.
Old 12-16-2020, 08:24 AM
Tech Elite

never pre-tap plastic its designed to be used without tapping.
Old 12-18-2020, 03:18 PM
Tech Apprentice

I'll start threads with a tap, just to make sure everything starts straight. Then I'll use a screw with some grease in it.
Old 12-18-2020, 04:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

It's been my experience with Ti screws that they are slightly undersize from the CS (Carbon Steel) or AL (aluminum) screws they are replacing. Perhaps it was the Ti screw provider I used, but for that reason I tend to not use them. The miniscule saving in weight is not worth sacrificing the grip the previous screw provided.

Where possible, I try to put the same screw back into the hole it came out of. Not practical in a pit/race environment, obviously, but is doable on the workbench.

Oops. Dinner's ready. Gotta go. Cheers. 'AC'