Like Tree1215Likes

Backyard off-road track

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2021, 07:44 PM
Tech Apprentice

Latest iteration of my side yard track

Old 04-27-2021, 06:25 AM
Tech Master

That back turn is really fast. I like making high banked turns and running a car through like it's on a Hotwheels track. I used to have a 1/16 Slash and it couldn't turn without rolling over so I made a track full of high banked turns and it was really fun to drive.
Old 04-27-2021, 11:22 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Backyard RC
That back turn is really fast. I like making high banked turns and running a car through like it's on a Hotwheels track. I used to have a 1/16 Slash and it couldn't turn without rolling over so I made a track full of high banked turns and it was really fun to drive.
Yeah, shooting at that back berm and banking into a wall-ride is a lot of fun. I'm not entirely happy with where I moved the jump. Last year it was smaller and much closer to the corner closest the camera. It gave you more room to setup for the jump so you didn't need to get right on the brakes coming out of that back berm. You could also carry more speed off the hill since you didn't need to worry about sliding into the jump. I may get one of those T-Bone mini track jumps and use it to figure out placement better.
Backyard RC likes this.
Old 04-27-2021, 12:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gnfam
Allergy season has been kicking my butt here in Northern California, but I finally straightened up the backyard track enough to pull out the LapMonitor and run some laps. Running a Losi Mini-B w/ a mini-t 2.0 body. Lots more space to mount the LapMonitor transponder.
https://youtu.be/Yu7hAgCy5GU
gnfam, mind if I ask what size is that corrugated pipe you're using? It looks like 4 in or 6 in. I've been looking for something a little out of the ordinary color wise. Found 4 in yellow and blue pipe available online

I I know it sounds goofy but I would kind of like to alternate colors every 8 ft or so. A little extra work joining the pieces but I'd only have to do it once if I used screws. Ideally I can find colors I like in 3 in pipe. If anyone knows a source for that feel free to share. Glad the snow is now melted and the season is upon us!
Billy Kelly likes this.
Old 04-27-2021, 05:24 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Milkdudd
gnfam, mind if I ask what size is that corrugated pipe you're using? It looks like 4 in or 6 in. I've been looking for something a little out of the ordinary color wise. Found 4 in yellow and blue pipe available online

I I know it sounds goofy but I would kind of like to alternate colors every 8 ft or so. A little extra work joining the pieces but I'd only have to do it once if I used screws. Ideally I can find colors I like in 3 in pipe. If anyone knows a source for that feel free to share. Glad the snow is now melted and the season is upon us!
Please tell me that you have a Menards near you. That is double the price I paid for my yellow pipe. https://www.menards.com/main/plumbin...3947312&ipos=2

I have not seen blue before. I personally would stay away from the vented corrugated pipe and stick to the solid. i have used both and the problem with the vented pipe is that it can fill with dirt very easy. I have a 100' section of black that is vented and it is nearly full with dirt. It's very heavy and nearly unmovable.

As for connecting shorter pieces I like to use the internal couplers. They are not very expensive at all. https://www.menards.com/main/plumbin...244805&ipos=16

Hope something here helps.
Old 04-28-2021, 12:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LowClassCC
Please tell me that you have a Menards near you. That is double the price I paid for my yellow pipe. https://www.menards.com/main/plumbin...3947312&ipos=2

I have not seen blue before. I personally would stay away from the vented corrugated pipe and stick to the solid. i have used both and the problem with the vented pipe is that it can fill with dirt very easy. I have a 100' section of black that is vented and it is nearly full with dirt. It's very heavy and nearly unmovable.

As for connecting shorter pieces I like to use the internal couplers. They are not very expensive at all. https://www.menards.com/main/plumbin...244805&ipos=16

Hope something here helps.
Thanks LCCC, I do have a Menards maybe 15 miles away or so so that's not too bad. Guess I was under the impression I should get perforated but after what you said maybe the solid is better. Maybe the perforated fills with muddy water and when water either drains out or evaporates you're left with a pipe full of dirt. Still think three inch would be better for my use. I'm not in any hurry. I need to get the track all finished first. Started grinding the dirt out yesterday with my billy goat dethatcher/power rake. This is going to be more work than I thought!

LowClassCC likes this.
Old 04-30-2021, 09:15 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Milkdudd
It's 4in. Bought it at Home Depot.
Old 04-30-2021, 09:25 AM
Tech Adept

gnfam: It looks like you can extend the pipe out another two to three feet at the upper left of your track. Right after the jump. 8 second laps is funny but I'd be doing the same thing if that's all the space I had.
Hearing the Laptimer say Mini B after each lap was funny too. I wonder what things you can get it to say? I would name my car Scoobity Doobity.
How do you like your Mini B? Does it hold up to consistent laps?
Yeah it looks like there's more space, but there are a bunch of roots from a big tree that's just out of frame. The pipe is kind of hiding them. Yeah, I'm really happy with the lapmonitor. I thought I would have more issues with it skipping laps since it works via IR, but I leave all of the windows clear on my bodies, and it almost never misses/skips laps. And still really happy with my mini-b and mini-t 2.0. I run a Reflex 14b as well, but the Losi vehicles are slightly better size for the small space I have. Considering selling the Reflex, but my son wants me to keep it even though he pretty much never drives it anymore.
Backyard RC likes this.
Old 04-30-2021, 09:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Shawn B
My track is 80x50 and I purchased 5 gallons but used less than 4 gallons, I already had some extra dirt leftover also so I used the rest for a couple new jumps and large berm coming onto the strait. On Friday (payday) I will be ordering more so that I have on hand for future use/layout changes
How durable is that treatment? Im considering turning my tiny backyard into a mini track for my 1/10 racers and probably mess around with my smaller scale stuff. But I want it to be high grip so I don't have to buy different tires or have a different setup just to run at home.

Also an open question for any kind of treatments anyone runs. I know of a track that was med grip that just recently started maybe using elmers glue but he has a sprayer with glue in it and will continually treat the track to keep the grip up. I want to avoid that.

Old 05-03-2021, 08:04 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Just finished up my track…. Need to get my buggies on it and start tearing it up!!!
Attached Thumbnails Backyard off-road track-a3e9465c-7d77-4184-94be-2015e31f5e5a.jpeg   Backyard off-road track-3c145e73-cd86-4854-9474-dc0a8b07a370.jpeg  
Old 05-03-2021, 08:25 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Shawn B
I thought the same thing and tried the wood glue but it was a waste of money bc it peeled from the surface and made a mess.Same with Soiltac, I later purchased the product that you speak of and found it to have a black type of resin in it almost like a 2 part epoxy,followed the directions with it thoroughly mixing before using and it works unbelievable! The surface set rock hard with no dust and the grip is insane like an indoor track
What is the product you bought for this and where can i find it bud?
Old 05-04-2021, 05:57 PM
Tech Master

You've got some good views at that track.
Old 05-05-2021, 04:10 PM
Tech Regular

You've got some good views at that track.
Thanks!!! Its definitely a cool view but its a big wind tunnel!!!
Old 05-05-2021, 04:19 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by deftones.jt@gma
What is the product you bought for this and where can i find it bud?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/274613087697
Old 05-08-2021, 04:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Big news at VBRC!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.