Search
Like Tree1215Likes

Backyard off-road track

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2020, 07:20 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Milkdudd
Can you tell me what class of cars or trucks you ran on that? Did you have any problems with overheating Motors or ESC? How fast would you say your cars are relative to a smooth hard dirt track or clay. I know grass will be slower just wondering if it will be hugely slower. If that's one of those questions that is impossible to really answer I'll just start with an oval with my 10th scale stadium truck and take it from there
I run a 1/10 SCT outside. The grass seems to effect it only when not manicured. When the grass cut low I don't believe the truck is slowed much. If your yard is small I don't think you'll be able to WOT anyhow.
Milkdudd likes this.
Old 04-10-2020, 07:27 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default My track

Here is my track several track changes this years layout.

Dirt-Racer and Milkdudd like this.
Old 04-10-2020, 08:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

No need to apologize it's all good. What class of car do you run on it? How short do you cut it? Obviously any car could be run on grass but it seems to me anything with bigger wheels and more ground clearance will do better. I'm concerned it will be slow running and cooking Motors and ESC with high temperatures. One of my lawn mowers is an old one that I don't use. I think I could drill some new axle holes and get the blade almost to the ground. Or maybe a spacer above the blade to lower it. I think if I could cut the grass to less than an inch would be my best bet. As of now I only have two wheel drive buggies and Stadium trucks. Would be nice if I could run these with good results. If at some point I convert to dirt maybe I could run smaller cars. It seems obvious that a little car will make a track seem a lot bigger
1/8 eTruggy.

It's already wearing a pattern into my grass in the backyard. Might try to cut the back shorter than normal.
Milkdudd likes this.
Old 04-10-2020, 08:37 AM
Tech Apprentice

I have a backyard track in the works as well. I have ordered some different scale vehicles, but I am sizing the track for 1/18 scale. So... 1/16, 1/18, 1/24 are the sizes I will try. If my son really likes it... i will build a much bigger track for the 1/10 scale stuff.

I have a seriously bad habit about over doing stuff, which I think I mentioned in another thread. Lol anyways. I am subscribing and will post pics when done.
Milkdudd likes this.
Old 04-10-2020, 08:42 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Evoking1230
1/8 eTruggy.

It's already wearing a pattern into my grass in the backyard. Might try to cut the back shorter than normal.
are you planing on going dirt... or leaving turf?
Old 04-10-2020, 09:57 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Rayone
Here is my track several track changes this years layout.
Nice. How expensive was all of the corrugated pipe?
Old 04-10-2020, 10:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by old_metal_head
I run a 1/10 SCT outside. The grass seems to effect it only when not manicured. When the grass cut low I don't believe the truck is slowed much. If your yard is small I don't think you'll be able to WOT anyhow.
I think my concerns that running on grass would slow the cars and cook the electronics were way overblown. I've seen some videos on Facebook and YouTube and the cars seem pretty darn fast. Will still monitor temperatures though. Of course that's a good idea on any track
Old 04-10-2020, 11:20 AM
Tech Adept

My Tekno SCT tears up the yard.

But my 1/16 Slash struggles in high grass even with a brush-less motor upgrade.
Old 04-10-2020, 11:41 AM
Tech Apprentice

I would say $200 to 300 for pipe.
Old 04-10-2020, 01:25 PM
Tech Master

jg6743: Those jumps are huge! I've been experimenting with jump making designs. My dirt is fine sand and isn't going to pack very well. I've got a block of modeling clay that I put in a 5 gallon bucket filled with water. I used the clay filled water and mixed it with the sand and had pretty good results. I'll probably make a wooden jump or two. I just saw that T-Bone Racing is making some jumps.

Old_Metal_head: Since you have plenty of space you shouldn't have any problem widening the lanes. Try 8 feet and go from there. It's funny that once you get the lanes as wide as you need them you'll find that your vehicle tends to use only a portion of that space.

If you don't have enough space to make wider lanes you can make berms to help keep the speeds up.

Right now I believe LC Racing to be the best mini rc vehicles but I have a feeling that Arrma is going to give us something this year.
Old 04-10-2020, 04:24 PM
Tech Adept

Backyard
my soil is very sandy... I just shaped my jumps and covered with indoor outdoor carpet. Makes the landing jumps very forgiving if you come up short.
Backyard RC likes this.
Old 04-11-2020, 12:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I don't think I've ever seen this but has anyone ever seen a track where the lanes themselves are elevated a few inches from the rest of the yard with dirt or gravel or a combination so that rain would run off rather than puddle? Thinking way outside of the box if a track wasn't too big maybe even build it with vertical boards that defined the lanes and fill them with gravel then dirt. Or maybe at 3:30 in the morning I'm just becoming delirious
Old 04-11-2020, 05:17 AM
Tech Adept

I don't think I've ever seen this but has anyone ever seen a track where the lanes themselves are elevated a few inches from the rest of the yard with dirt or gravel or a combination so that rain would run off rather than puddle? Thinking way outside of the box if a track wasn't too big maybe even build it with vertical boards that defined the lanes and fill them with gravel then dirt. Or maybe at 3:30 in the morning I'm just becoming delirious

I had a track at my previous house that didn't drain well. I was going to use doomed drain covers as corner markers... and have drains running under track.

RazorRC and Milkdudd like this.
Old 04-11-2020, 08:57 AM
Tech Adept

Default Lanes

Originally Posted by Backyard RC
jg6743: Those jumps are huge! I've been experimenting with jump making designs. My dirt is fine sand and isn't going to pack very well. I've got a block of modeling clay that I put in a 5 gallon bucket filled with water. I used the clay filled water and mixed it with the sand and had pretty good results. I'll probably make a wooden jump or two. I just saw that T-Bone Racing is making some jumps.

Old_Metal_head: Since you have plenty of space you shouldn't have any problem widening the lanes. Try 8 feet and go from there. It's funny that once you get the lanes as wide as you need them you'll find that your vehicle tends to use only a portion of that space.

If you don't have enough space to make wider lanes you can make berms to help keep the speeds up.

Right now I believe LC Racing to be the best mini rc vehicles but I have a feeling that Arrma is going to give us something this year.
I think I just need to widen the turns so I can get a good line. I want to make banks on the tight turns as well. I’ll have to angle my box blade and try to make a solid bank.

I never heard of LC racing so I looked it up. Looks solid.

Old 04-12-2020, 09:07 AM
Tech Master

You've got a lot of flexibility with your space. Be careful digging down too much or you'll get water pooling. I usually use the excess dirt from scraping the top layer down again and again to make berms and jumps.

The mini scale vehicles need more track grooming because the smaller tires are affected by rocks that a 1/10 truck would just roll over.

An elevated track would be amazing in an area prone to rain. It would take more work but might be worth it. I've seen tracks where they've dug ditches to channel the water out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.