Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree71Likes

Is RC an addiction??

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2019, 07:22 PM
Tech Initiate

Great topic, makes the rest of us feel like we’re not alone!
Old 11-25-2019, 09:04 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Hi, my name is Cliff and I race toy cars....
mrramirez and hookedup like this.
Old 11-25-2019, 09:22 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Addiction is largely psychological. You can get addicted to anything as long as you get a little zing of excitement when you do the thing, and a large pang of disappointment, frustration, or anxiety when you don't do the thing.

From 2013 to 2018, I wasn't able to stop buying RC stuff on a nearly-constant basis until I finally had a kid. Now I get my dopamine hits from seeing him giggle rather than hearing the mailman knock on my front door.

Last edited by fyrstormer; 11-25-2019 at 09:33 PM.
Old 11-26-2019, 12:26 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Yeah it is, but it beats a drug addiction, and I can't afford to have both.
Old 11-26-2019, 03:04 PM
Tech Initiate

I'm just getting into this hobby now and I just turned 36. I've always had a passing interest since I was a little kid. I finally decided I was going to get myself a buggy to get started and I'm hooked. I already have 2 buggies and I'm obsessed. I can barely drive them currently, but I'm improving and learning every time I take them out. I've only been on this "rc kick" for about 2 months, but I'm pretty sure I found something I really love here. My coworkers are pretty tired of hearing about rc this and rc that, but I don't have much else on my mind to talk about that I find interesting. I would say I'm definitely addicted, but it's a good addiction. I have somewhere to focus my creativity and tinkering needs as well as something to help get the driving and speed itch scratched. Also, a really enjoyable place to just escape everything mentally when I need to. I have a feeling I'll be into this for a long time and I can't wait to get my daughter into it.
Old 11-27-2019, 04:19 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by fyrstormer
Addiction is largely psychological. You can get addicted to anything as long as you get a little zing of excitement when you do the thing, and a large pang of disappointment, frustration, or anxiety when you don't do the thing.

From 2013 to 2018, I wasn't able to stop buying RC stuff on a nearly-constant basis until I finally had a kid. Now I get my dopamine hits from seeing him giggle rather than hearing the mailman knock on my front door.
Heh, wait until he’s old enough to want to try driving some of those cars... Truth be told, it’s probably the best parent-child hobby you can do together. My daughter seems to be taking an interest as I am getting stuff together to return after almost 20 years, and I hope that her 1&1/2 year old brother takes a similar interest in about 5 years or so.
aspiringracer and Newby Dave like this.
Old 11-28-2019, 09:09 AM
Tech Regular

lol love this topic!!! After 35 years of competitive racing I would argue that it is more of an obsession. However in that 35 years I've heard and personally experienced countless of arguments with family members and loved ones of spending too much time and money on our toy cars. If it is an addiction it is a good one considering what other kind of trouble we could be getting ourselves into. I personally believe family members should be grateful that we spend long hours in a family orientated environment and tinkering with our toy cars at home. Rather than what ever other kind of trouble we sure know we could be get ourselves into.
Old 12-07-2019, 05:05 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by mx836
I just sold one so I have 17 at the moment and even a couple of planes. It’s definitely addicting.
agreed.. but it’s a good one!! I’m now looking for a second buggy.. 1 MT, 1 Truggy, & 2 Buggies.. not so bad..
Old 12-07-2019, 07:40 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Every time I feel guilty buying a new car, I visit this thread and makes me feel better
zipperfoot and hookedup like this.
Old 12-07-2019, 09:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

hookedup likes this.

Last edited by zipperfoot; 02-11-2020 at 04:22 AM.
Old 12-07-2019, 09:11 PM
Tech Champion

Knockoffracer likes this.