Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Is RC an addiction?? >

Is RC an addiction??

Like Tree71Likes

Is RC an addiction??

Old 11-19-2019, 03:05 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Is RC an addiction??

Hi guys my name is Chris, and i might have a problem..

its been about 20yrs since i owned my RC10 and my Kyosho Lazer ZX. I have been out of the loop since my late teens until recently, i stopped by my local hobby shop three months ago to see what was available.. I ended up buying a RTR Traxxas UDR.. a week later i bought an ARRMA Kraton. Then an Outcast. A few weeks later i took my Kraton to the track.. Now i have a RC8T3.1 and a Tekno EB48.4. The wife thinks Iíve gone a bit loopy and perhaps sheís right.. most of my spare time (what little i do have) Iím wrenching on a vehicle or driving another.

If if this is an addiction then Iím not ashamed to admit it. Itís a Blast!! and Iím having fun learning in this new hobby. And wow there is a lot to it! I You guys on this forum and others have been very helpful too! Good stuff!

Chris
Old 11-19-2019, 03:27 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

A lot of us joke that it is. There’s parts of it that definitely have the characteristics of it. Ever seen some of the MiniZ body collections. 500+ that will never come out of the case. But can’t even consider selling. Spending hours searching for that one body to complete a display collection.
Old 11-19-2019, 03:35 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I fell in love with what 1/10 4wd buggies would do with a mod power system in them... It went 1, 2, 5, 7, to 9 at one point, and down to 7, of just wheeler's.. Haven't raced in months but they've not just sat idle.. Some say i'm addicted to them XD
hookedup likes this.
Old 11-19-2019, 03:39 PM
Tech Adept

Default Nope

I donít have any idea what you mean ďaddictionĒ. Pfffttt. I too was out for quite a few years until the kids grew up enough and wanted to get one
Shnoo and hookedup like this.
Old 11-19-2019, 04:45 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Room 1
Old 11-19-2019, 06:16 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

RC isn't the addiction for me … racing is... and at this stage of my life it seems to be about the only affordable means to do that, and I can do it on my own without needing a crew to help pull it off …

Constantly watching websites for gear, and with all the sites available on the internet centered around the RC world, THAT becomes addicting in itself
Blue 31 and Johnoly99 like this.
Old 11-19-2019, 07:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by tomkatn View Post
RC isn't the addiction for me Ö racing is... and at this stage of my life it seems to be about the only affordable means to do that, and I can do it on my own without needing a crew to help pull it off Ö

Constantly watching websites for gear, and with all the sites available on the internet centered around the RC world, THAT becomes addicting in itself
yup.. well itís progressive.. and Iím just starting at the track.. soo Iíll check in next week
Old 11-19-2019, 07:58 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

"Of course not! I can stop any time I want to.."
Shnoo and hookedup like this.
Old 11-19-2019, 08:10 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Addiction is a strong word. RC came back to me at a very... Well bad time in my life. I chose RC, that was 17 years ago. Peaked at 80 units, down to 40. There are so many facets to the RC hobby, I feel it won't end.

The wife turns into a pumpkin at 9PM. I shoot straight down to the basement and wrench, watch videos, paint, or plan what I'm going to sell to get that next sweet,s kit. She doesn't mind what I spend so long as the bills get paid. She also knows I could be out engaging in rather delinquent activities. She doesn't mind my going out with the guys every Saturday night to play with toy cars in a parking lot 40 minutes away. She doesn't care that during the winter months the same group of guys come to our home and run Mini-Z in the basement. I'd go as far to say, I met my wife because of RC.

Without this incredible hobby of ours, I'd be in jail, or worse. So like I said, calling it an addiction is a little strong. Yes the joke is there, but that is all it is.

Old 11-19-2019, 08:36 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Knockoffracer View Post
Addiction is a strong word. RC came back to me at a very... Well bad time in my life. I chose RC, that was 17 years ago. Peaked at 80 units, down to 40. There are so many facets to the RC hobby, I feel it won't end.

The wife turns into a pumpkin at 9PM. I shoot straight down to the basement and wrench, watch videos, paint, or plan what I'm going to sell to get that next sweet,s kit. She doesn't mind what I spend so long as the bills get paid. She also knows I could be out engaging in rather delinquent activities. She doesn't mind my going out with the guys every Saturday night to play with toy cars in a parking lot 40 minutes away. She doesn't care that during the winter months the same group of guys come to our home and run Mini-Z in the basement. I'd go as far to say, I met my wife because of RC.

Without this incredible hobby of ours, I'd be in jail, or worse. So like I said, calling it an addiction is a little strong. Yes the joke is there, but that is all it is.
Holy shit dude this has to be the best setup I've ever seen! Super nice touch with a mini z track to top it off wow! You're just missing a RX-78 gundam lol!
Knockoffracer likes this.
Old 11-19-2019, 08:48 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Thanks Gyro. It's funny you mention the Grandaddy Gundam. No matter how many times I say I'm going to buy one, I always walk out without one. Makes the wife LOL everytime.
Gyr0 likes this.
Old 11-19-2019, 09:04 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

I'm so happy you called him the granddaddy lol! I always refer to him as the OG, papa, big papa, etc! Hands down my favorite ever mech! Again man just wow with the dream setup!
Knockoffracer likes this.
Old 11-20-2019, 05:03 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Yes it is

Much healthier addiction than crack though
Knockoffracer and Shnoo like this.
Old 11-20-2019, 05:37 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

It is certainly an addiction, at least for me. I find myself justifying why I need another new vehicle and get excited for new models etc. I just think when you are passionate about a sport/hobby etc there is an element of addiction that comes with it. I am the same way with RC as I am with bikes. I think my fiance is a lot happier knowing that I like to spend my money on RC or bike/motorcycle stuff so that I can do something that I like, rather than be at the bar or gamble it away. Doing RC keeps us happy so it is probably an addiction for most of us, but in a good way.
Old 11-20-2019, 07:31 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

When I was growing up, I never really stuck with any hobbies. I played sports but would quit 1/2 way into the season (if I made it that far).

Probably 9 years ago, I was driving back from MI and noticed a small track (not big enough for full size cars) just off the highway. I had to get off the next exit and backtrack to see what this place was. Turns out, it was Stateline RC Raceway in Fremont, IN. I was ready to hand over my wallet that day. Ended up buying a slash and started racing in the novice class.

Don't get me wrong, I've had times where I was burnt out after a big race for a week or two but I've never lost that fire. Plus, I've made a lot of great friends over the years racing.
Johnoly99 and hookedup like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.