Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree652Likes

New TLR 1/10 4WD buggy?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2019, 06:09 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Ok...so to the guys that have actually seen this buggy.
Does anything on it seem to stand out or make it different? I’m a serpent guy but their 4wd is really dated so I’m looking for something new.
Tried an l1 and struggling with it. Now I get this is a Losi thread but i really have no bias(except maybe a bit to serpent) so between the three new cars on the horizon the Losi, Xray and Yokomo what are your guys thoughts??
Rcdad42 likes this.
Old 11-28-2019, 06:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Last edited by zipperfoot; 02-11-2020 at 03:38 AM.
Old 11-28-2019, 08:40 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by zipperfoot
Kind of hard to make a recommendation on a buggy that hasn't been released yet. But if you want to rely on what I observed, I can say in my area, the B74 is very fast, the Yokomo is also very fast, and for me personally, I just started driving a Xray 2019 XB4. Very happy with the buggy. Steering is very good, grip is up there. Still working on setup. I am a mediocre driver who comes and goes from the sport, so I never seem to get my skills to the point where I could be a contender at club races. But for me the XB4 is a very nice buggy. I can say based on what I have witnessed, the Losi has a lot going for it. It really boils down to who is driving it.

I last watched the Losi drive at the Kinwald Classic. The A main was won by Rivkin. Tanner Denny was driving the 22x-4 and finished fourth. Frank had a couple of tough breaks. Based on how fast the buggy looked, any of the Losi guys could have won the race.

To speak to the Losi, If I recall correctly, I watched Tanner crash and work his way back to the front. Very impressive considering the field of drivers. With the grip the buggy was demonstrating, it really caught my eye. From what I could see in the pits, the buggy has the usual shaft drive, shorty layout that is now popular. Looks like it will have easy access diffs. Could not tell if the center diff was gear or slipper. Frank already verified Gen 3 shocks.

Top five at the Kinwald Classic that I watched:

1. Rivkin - AE B74
2. Tanner Stees - Xray?
3. Tommy Hinz - Xray?
4. Tanner Denny - Losi 22x-4
5. Jackson Brunson - AE?

All were fast.

FWIW, there is a 4wd Serpent Spyder EVO kit sitting in the display case at HobbyAction in Chandler, AZ. where the race took place. Has been discounted heavily. Been sitting there for six months and no one has bought it yet. There is no parts support for Serpent or Xray at that shop. I'd say go with what is supported in your area. Unless you are like me and don't mind spending on back up parts in case you break.
thanks for the input man. Really appreciate it. One thing i do for myself is get a new 4wd every year. Doesn’t matter what brand to me as long as it runs well. The new Xray does look cool though and our indoor season only runs till end of March sooooo...
you know how itchy we get with these cars
zipperfoot and Teknewbee like this.
Old 11-28-2019, 08:58 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RazorRC
That was the new TLR Magic Tire Sauce. Look for it soon at horizonhobby.com, MSRP is $99, but MAP is $4.99.
In two weeks
RazorRC and Teknewbee like this.
Old 11-28-2019, 10:00 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by zipperfoot
Kind of hard to make a recommendation on a buggy that hasn't been released yet. But if you want to rely on what I observed, I can say in my area, the B74 is very fast, the Yokomo is also very fast, and for me personally, I just started driving a Xray 2019 XB4. Very happy with the buggy. Steering is very good, grip is up there. Still working on setup. I am a mediocre driver who comes and goes from the sport, so I never seem to get my skills to the point where I could be a contender at club races. But for me the XB4 is a very nice buggy. I can say based on what I have witnessed, the Losi has a lot going for it. It really boils down to who is driving it.

I last watched the Losi drive at the Kinwald Classic. The A main was won by Rivkin. Tanner Denny was driving the 22x-4 and finished fourth. Frank had a couple of tough breaks. Based on how fast the buggy looked, any of the Losi guys could have won the race.

To speak to the Losi, If I recall correctly, I watched Tanner crash and work his way back to the front. Very impressive considering the field of drivers. With the grip the buggy was demonstrating, it really caught my eye. From what I could see in the pits, the buggy has the usual shaft drive, shorty layout that is now popular. Looks like it will have easy access diffs. Could not tell if the center diff was gear or slipper. Frank already verified Gen 3 shocks.

Top five at the Kinwald Classic that I watched:

1. Rivkin - AE B74
2. Tanner Stees - Xray?
3. Tommy Hinz - Xray?
4. Tanner Denny - Losi 22x-4
5. Jackson Brunson - AE?

All were fast.

FWIW, there is a 4wd Serpent Spyder EVO kit sitting in the display case at HobbyAction in Chandler, AZ. where the race took place. Has been discounted heavily. Been sitting there for six months and no one has bought it yet. There is no parts support for Serpent or Xray at that shop. I'd say go with what is supported in your area. Unless you are like me and don't mind spending on back up parts in case you break.
I'll agree with that statement about the Serpent SDX-4 EVO... Right now, it is literally the oldest car in their Off-Road lineup. Now that the SRX-2 Gen 3 is out, I would imagine that Billy Easton is now setting his sights on that buggy to give it the update it needs, so I would expect an SDX-4 Pro (which is what every other EVO car has been named for its follow-up) some time in the first half of next year. At least I would expect it, based on the relatively good feedback I've heard about the Gen 3.

As I make my way back toward racing again in 2020, I had already decided on running Serpent On-Road cars (and was planning on waiting for the SRX-2 Gen 3 myself)... BUT, the Worlds came around, I got all excited over the 22X-4 (as it came to be named), and then the 22 5.0 ELITE dropped. It got me excited enough about what Losi was doing. Throw in the announcement that Gil Jr. would be getting more involved again, and that was all she wrote. Picked up the ELITE, and I'm eagerly (but patiently) waiting on this one.
zipperfoot likes this.
Old 11-28-2019, 02:37 PM
Tech Adept

Default It’s Thursday

So...... it’s Thursday, yeah yeah, turkey and all but.... anyone seen or heard of it yet??? 😎😆
Teknewbee likes this.
Old 11-28-2019, 02:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jonnywachter
I was literally just stating a fact, and you all are blatantly ignoring it. I'm sorry you all cannot see the fact that the car looked that much faster because Dakota was driving like a mad man which in turn is why he made the mistakes he did. I'm not one to get into a keyboard war so that's all I'm going to say.

except it’s not a fact. It’s an opinion based on your perception. There is no way for this to be a fact.
Roberto Falcon likes this.
Old 11-28-2019, 04:49 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Johnoly99
So...... it’s Thursday, yeah yeah, turkey and all but.... anyone seen or heard of it yet??? 😎😆
Mmmmmmmmmm. Tuuuuuuurŕrrrrkey🤔
Old 11-29-2019, 08:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Davv
Ok...so to the guys that have actually seen this buggy.
Does anything on it seem to stand out or make it different? I’m a serpent guy but their 4wd is really dated so I’m looking for something new.
Tried an l1 and struggling with it. Now I get this is a Losi thread but i really have no bias(except maybe a bit to serpent) so between the three new cars on the horizon the Losi, Xray and Yokomo what are your guys thoughts??
I have seen one in person.... Looks well built. Looks like the Xray AE cars which are all similar. By looking at it I can't say if it will be better than anything else currently out there but my guess is it will be very similar to Xray and AE which are fine cars. One thing is for sure TLR will have product support like AE so those would both be safe bets in my my opinion. Xray Yokomo are pretty much non existent where I race/live
Old 11-29-2019, 03:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BRSracing
I have seen one in person.... Looks well built. Looks like the Xray AE cars which are all similar. By looking at it I can't say if it will be better than anything else currently out there but my guess is it will be very similar to Xray and AE which are fine cars. One thing is for sure TLR will have product support like AE so those would both be safe bets in my my opinion. Xray Yokomo are pretty much non existent where I race/live
The new XB4 is great kit i try to drove one my local racer dang very easy to drive compared to b74 and eb410.2. Can't wait to get mine
Old 11-30-2019, 07:28 PM
Tech Initiate

I am waiting somewhat impatiently, my 22-4 2.0 just isn't up to the task at my local track anymore. I ran my Son's B74 a week ago and qualified 3 spots up from where I do with my 22-4 and finished 2nd. I just can't seem to keep up with my TLR where I could with the AE.

I was hoping they would announce it in time for Christmas and I could get it on the track in January, but the lack of info may have me jump ship and go with the B74 so I can continue to be competitive.

I appreciate the holding back for more testing, but honestly, a lot of the possible durability issues won't be realized until it gets in the hands of the average joe racer that's going to crash it hard and clip tubes/boards harder than those seasoned pros and semi pros.
Old 11-30-2019, 09:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tommckay
I am waiting somewhat impatiently, my 22-4 2.0 just isn't up to the task at my local track anymore. I ran my Son's B74 a week ago and qualified 3 spots up from where I do with my 22-4 and finished 2nd. I just can't seem to keep up with my TLR where I could with the AE.

I was hoping they would announce it in time for Christmas and I could get it on the track in January, but the lack of info may have me jump ship and go with the B74 so I can continue to be competitive.

I appreciate the holding back for more testing, but honestly, a lot of the possible durability issues won't be realized until it gets in the hands of the average joe racer that's going to crash it hard and clip tubes/boards harder than those seasoned pros and semi pros.
The waiting is killing us all but look at it like this...…..if they release it and it ahead of schedule and a part is defective could you imagine the keyboard warriors saying 'they should have waited and got it right" posts?? We as racers are great for the hobby and our own nightmare. I think the lack of a spy shot is what has folks all worked up. It would be nice to hit the Christmas rush and have guys running for the beginning of the year but if it's not in the plans then we have no choice but to wait unfortunately.

Old 12-01-2019, 01:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

[QUOTE=STLNLST;15554345]The waiting is killing us all but look at it like this...…..if they release it and it ahead of schedule and a part is defective could you imagine the keyboard warriors saying 'they should have waited and got it right" posts?? We as racers are great for the hobby and our own nightmare. I think the lack of a spy shot is what has folks all worked up. It would be nice to hit the Christmas rush and have guys running for the beginning of the year but if it's not in the plans then we have no choice but to wait unfortunately.[/QUOTE
The Wait.....
Best Marketing Ploy ever......
TLR will sell the same number of kits whenever it hits the Market. And those that think somehow the teams are testing in some cream puff enviroment where strick speed limits are maintained couldnt be more wrong.More real world brakage than Us.
Think about it Those guys dont pay for parts and get to run wide open during testing with no fear.
When they do race they are running lap speeds (most )of Us never hit.So when they do have a Come Off S#:t breaks on them Too.Often worse
Than Some.
Cheers!
Teknewbee likes this.
Old 12-02-2019, 07:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

the incubus likes this.

Last edited by zipperfoot; 02-11-2020 at 03:37 AM.
Old 12-02-2019, 07:19 AM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

[QUOTE=zipperfoot;15555007]
Originally Posted by BmainStar

Sure, but I don't know too many pros that drive full speed down the straight, overshoot the turn and slam into the wall. Or at my track, try to take a turn too fast and over jump a double while off line and smack into the announcer stand. Granted, no amount of testing is going to protect a buggy against this sort of abuse but this is real world use.

I disagree with the comparison that pro drivers are stressing the buggy more than a weekend warrior is. They may be navigating the course faster, and pushing the buggy harder, but the below average to average Joe is bouncing off the pipes like bumpers at a bowling alley, or casing jumps, landing hard, clipping pipes, crashing into other drivers, etc. I would say the possibility of breakage is greater for the non skilled vs skilled driver.
I'd actually disagree to an extent. Usually, the hardest of hard crashes, come from those pushing the limits with confidence they aren't going to crash. And we get it wrong sometimes. Those massive impacts, those are the real part breakers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.