Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
The "what to race" question - Is the slash a bad idea?  Is the TT02b better? >

The "what to race" question - Is the slash a bad idea? Is the TT02b better?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree31Likes

The "what to race" question - Is the slash a bad idea? Is the TT02b better?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 01:01 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jon003
Huh, I just started after decades long hiatus. I started racing with my basher traxxas rustler vxl, then switched to an EB410, 13.5T.

Takes some practice, to be sure, but I don't think its too fast, and I'm an old guy.
At a standard sized track maybe not as much. On this small, tight track space. Someone jumping right to 13.5 would probably be bad.

Old 05-16-2019, 01:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jon003
Huh, I just started after decades long hiatus. I started racing with my basher traxxas rustler vxl, then switched to an EB410, 13.5T.

Takes some practice, to be sure, but I don't think its too fast, and I'm an old guy.
You're looking at two things that are a very big problem right now. First "you have previous experience". Don't undersell that at all. I want to catch utter noobs.

Second, there is no practice. We have one off road track, and it's two hours away from Chicago. Whatever someone picks up, it needs to be "useful" as a basher. And be controllable enough that they're not pile driving into the walls of the bar.

4wd makes a car more fun on un-prepped surfaces, and means it can reasonably tackle grass. 13.5, was enough for me to jump half of the off road track at the old windy city. I think euro truck power is closer to what someone should be starting out with. :-) It means that someone could use the car in driveways, baseball diamonds, and other places, to get better with their car.
Old 05-16-2019, 01:19 PM
Tech Prophet

What about Kyosho? While I’ve been looking into possibly adding buggy’s. I found that Kyosho had a RTR 2whel buggy. 15T brushed motor.

34310B Ultima RB6.6 Readyset
Old 05-16-2019, 01:20 PM
Tech Elite

Does the slash have an oil filled diff?
Old 05-16-2019, 01:36 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Nerobro
Does the slash have an oil filled diff?
no. Just Grease. It is not a sealed diff
Old 05-16-2019, 01:39 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly
What about Kyosho? While I’ve been looking into possibly adding buggy’s. I found that Kyosho had a RTR 2whel buggy. 15T brushed motor.

I had no idea that this RTR buggy even existed. That is a great price for someone looking to get their feet wet in racing without breaking the bank. Are there Parts readily available for this thing? If so, I may pick one up for my 12 year old son
Billy Kelly likes this.
Old 05-16-2019, 01:43 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by MaX-D
I had no idea that this RTR buggy even existed. That is a great price for someone looking to get their feet wet in racing without breaking the bank. Are there Parts readily available for this thing? If so, I may pick one up for my 12 year old son
I haven’t looked more into it yet. I’m in an auction for another, I’m honestly tempted to let the auction go, and just give the Kyosho a shot. Since actually racing is slim chances for me.

It does look to be a 3 year old release. Seeing them available from Kyosho is a positive sign for parts.
MaX-D likes this.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:03 PM
Tech Elite

no. Just Grease. It is not a sealed diff
Then the 22t is a much, much better option.

https://www.horizonhobby.com/1-10-ul...tr-p-kyo34310b And it's in stock. If a race organizer were friendly, dropping a car with a 15 turn brushed motor in with the 17.5's shouldn't be to bad...

Parts looks "ok" but we'd need to do more research. Parts for the TT02 are everywhere, and easy to get.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:14 PM
Tech Prophet

every random part I checked showed in stock. Looks to share parts with the race kit as optional upgrades
MaX-D likes this.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:17 PM
Tech Elite

In the worst case, we found a chassis we can pimp about as a "here's how you can get a car cheap". :-)

(I love threads like this.)

I'm still not convinced the TT02b isn't a good answer. Though I should start digging up my list of faults with the car. They're numerous. But not as endemic as the ones in the slash.
Old 05-17-2019, 12:11 AM
Tech Regular

The Ultima RB6.6 readyset parts are all compatible with the race kit, so parts are readily available. They are a good way to start as they can upgrade what breaks and end up with a competitive kit that grows with them. I race the Ultima RB6.6 and Lazer ZX6 and never have a problem with parts, but then race kits in 17.5T don't tend to break. I'm in New Zealand and can get parts locally easily, or Amain has everything.

I also have the TT02B and have tried it at a track. Its great on my backyard track and they handle surprisingly well in stock form, plenty fast enough for our fun silvercan type class. However, on a proper track you realise they are slow and don't jump well. Admittedly this was with a heavy NiMH pack, a shortly lipo would help. The newbie racer would also need a good supply of diffs, but at NZD5 each thats not a major. Otherwise they are bulletproof, they have heaps of slop and rubberry arms and damper stays which mean they bend rather than break. They are also great as a first kit and perform pretty well when not on a track.

Many onroad clubs in New Zealand have adopted a TT02 spec class and its really successful, so maybe the offroad clubs could take this on board
Billy Kelly likes this.
Old 05-17-2019, 01:28 AM
Tech Elite

And... we hit upon the problem i've had with my TT02b. I've eaten like four diffs. Well, not so much the diff, but usually the drive pinion. I was hoping.. that with a more relaxed motor, and fewer of the upgrade parts I put on mine, they'd live better.

Slow... is a benefit. The silver can motors provide entertaining speed with the TT01 and the euro truck body... So the TT02b would never clear a double, but it might still be useful.

.... I have one sitting in my amazon cart. I still haven't hit buy yet.
Old 05-17-2019, 04:52 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by jgil089
The Ultima RB6.6 readyset parts are all compatible with the race kit, so parts are readily available. They are a good way to start as they can upgrade what breaks and end up with a competitive kit that grows with them. I race the Ultima RB6.6 and Lazer ZX6 and never have a problem with parts, but then race kits in 17.5T don't tend to break. I'm in New Zealand and can get parts locally easily, or Amain has everything.

I also have the TT02B and have tried it at a track. Its great on my backyard track and they handle surprisingly well in stock form, plenty fast enough for our fun silvercan type class. However, on a proper track you realise they are slow and don't jump well. Admittedly this was with a heavy NiMH pack, a shortly lipo would help. The newbie racer would also need a good supply of diffs, but at NZD5 each thats not a major. Otherwise they are bulletproof, they have heaps of slop and rubberry arms and damper stays which mean they bend rather than break. They are also great as a first kit and perform pretty well when not on a track.

Many onroad clubs in New Zealand have adopted a TT02 spec class and its really successful, so maybe the offroad clubs could take this on board
That’s good to read on the Kyosho. I have now bought both 2 and 4 wheel buggy’s this week. But may still decide to give that Kyosho a try.

Old 05-17-2019, 10:24 AM
Tech Elite

I want to know what happened to kyosho. They were the other guys after Yokomo, Losi, and AE. Now you just see them in 1/8th gas classes... and micro classes.
Old 05-17-2019, 10:39 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Nerobro
I want to know what happened to kyosho. They were the other guys after Yokomo, Losi, and AE. Now you just see them in 1/8th gas classes... and micro classes.
under new ownership for the last year.

https://www.bigsquidrc.com/new-ownership-for-kyosho/

think thats the 3rd owner for Kyosho since in got in the hobby in 2010

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.