Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
TLR TEN-SCTE 4x4 1.0 VS 3.0.  Worth the upgrade? >

TLR TEN-SCTE 4x4 1.0 VS 3.0. Worth the upgrade?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Owl
  • 1 Post By killer rock

TLR TEN-SCTE 4x4 1.0 VS 3.0. Worth the upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 09:25 PM
Owl
Tech Adept

Default TLR TEN-SCTE 4x4 1.0 VS 3.0. Worth the upgrade?

Hello all,
I've been out of racing for about 8 years. I have a TLR TEN-SCTE 4x4 that I converted from the TEN-T nitro truggy back before TLR even made a 4x4 SCT.

The trucks look really similar, so similar I needed to have them side by side to even notice some changes. However someone let me drive their 3.0 and it was so easy to drive. While I can put down some good laps with my truck, I have to work allot harder to do so. The guys 3.0 pretty much drove itself, I could wrap the corners with ease and speed while the truck just rolled through the corners. My truck I have to get on the brakes hard and basically drift the corners to keep up.

I'm wondering if its worth the price to upgrade to the new truck or maybe I can do some more setup work to my truck to get it on par with the competition. I was told the box setup for the 3.0 was really good, do you guys think simply applying that setup to my truck would get my truck close to the 3.0? Or is there some improvements in the 3.0 that are worth the upgrade.
Thanks

Sorry, didn't see there was a thread dedicated to the 3.0 as it was a page or 2 down. I'll post this there.
chucko likes this.

Last edited by Owl; 03-25-2019 at 09:45 PM.
Old 03-30-2019, 12:09 AM
Tech Regular

Location: northern Indiana southern Michigan all depends on the day.
Default speaking on is it worth it

It's all depends on if your ready for a new truck or not. And what level you intend to race at. At the club lvl a 4x4 basher slash could be just as competitive with a basic set up and the right tires.if you looking at the big time or will to be competitive at a level higher the the club seen you'll find these older trucks just not as refined.

But you could go through your old scte with bearings, shocks/springs, diff oil new tires and a body all to mirror your friends setup. Including motor running for similar performance. And be quite happy even having a car that handles quite the same, not 💯 but 90% the Same. And feel the car drives great. And possibly be money ahead.

Then again nothing beats a brand new build. And depending on how deep yor money bags are. You could be 1000+ in to it especially if you get all New electric. Which my not be a bad idea depending on age.

I'm not going to tell you to go buy a new truck because it's worth it. A properly setup older rc can still hang with the latest and greatest. But if your looking for 10ths of a second, because your on that level then pull the trigger.
chucko likes this.