Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
SkyRC 8.5T motor in 1/10 buggy - goes slow after short run on full throttle >

SkyRC 8.5T motor in 1/10 buggy - goes slow after short run on full throttle

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By craigparris1

SkyRC 8.5T motor in 1/10 buggy - goes slow after short run on full throttle

Old 03-28-2019, 04:17 AM
Tech Rookie

Default SkyRC 8.5T motor in 1/10 buggy - goes slow after short run on full throttle

Hi guys,

After reading various reviews, and seeing plenty of posts with people putting the same motor in similar cars, I recently bought the SkyRC Cheetah 8.5T / 60A ESC combo to install in my HSP 1/10 buggy. It runs fine (actually, it's super-quick compared to the stock 540 motor that came with the buggy) - however, if I run it at full throttle for maybe only a couple of minutes, the motor suddenly just slows right down and won't go any quicker. After a short rest it will run again, and in fact if I only get the throttle to about 3/4 it will run fine for 10-15 minutes (and it still zips pretty quick). But give it a burst at full throttle again, after only a minute or so, it will slow right down to a crawl.

There was no specific manual provided for the motor (and I can't find one), but the ESC light (which begins blinking red) goes to solid red and in the ESC manual that states that "motor turbo timing" is on. I'll admit that I don't really understand what that means, and stuff that I read about timing doesn't really make all that much sense to me ....

So, a couple of questions:

- is the motor speed being automatically reduced because it's running to quick for too long?

- have I bought a motor that's got too much grunt for the buggy that I have?

- is there anything that I should change in relation to the "timing"? (I'm guessing not, but not sure)

- or do I perhaps need to alter the current gearing to reduce the overall top speed (and therefor the motor won't think it's running too fast)?

Or, do I just not know what I'm talking about and there's something completely different going on?

Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated. Ultimately I just want to get everything tuned up just right, and I know that with some regular maintenance on the brushless motor I should be able to get a reasonable life out of it.

Thanks,

Craig
Old 03-29-2019, 06:38 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

I have never had much luck with SkyRC ESC's I went through 6 of them in a very short period of time and lost confidence in the brand.

Anyway... are you using a NiMH pack? If so, then you might need to disable the LVC which is designed for LiPo's... if you don't have a programming card then it will be extremely difficult, but possible to do with button press sequencing and listening to tones... you will need to RTFM very closely.... good luck!
Old 03-30-2019, 02:26 AM
Tech Rookie

Hi Bill,
Thanks mate - yeah, it appears that turning off the LVC setting did the trick. A programming card came with the bundle, so that made it easy.

The motor is super quick (maybe too quick - a bit scary when it's flying at full throttle!). Had one bad stack and broke a couple of small parts ..... but hey, what else am I going to spend money on?
billdelong likes this.
Old 03-30-2019, 07:50 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Something to watch out for (at least this is problem that repeated for me) is that if you take a hard hit or land with a chassis slap, the ESC can start to do strange things like momentarily go full throttle with complete loss of steering. I race at a club, and it wasn't that big of a deal to me until car "ran away" from me right into a turn marshal and left a huge bruise on his shin that lasted 8+ weeks... I still feel bad about that incident and have stopped running SkyRC ESC's since.

When your ESC fails, I would encourage you to consider HobbyWing, I have switched to that brand for all 5 classes that I currently race and they have been extremely reliable over the years