Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Second track to close in Illinois since December

Leisure Hours Raceway closing it's doors
Old 02-14-2019, 08:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bassbuster
You wouldnt survive out here in that boat. The SF Delta has swallowed many a john boats and have had deaths due to high 4 foot rollers due to the wind. Clear Lake gets 6 foot rollers. Most lakes here in Northern Cal can get very nasty. IM glad I got a bass cat. It can run on top of those waves. Ranger is known as a slow but comfy boat. Wouldnt touch one.
Comparing Bass Fishing to R/c Racing is Apples and Oranges.What He was saying is You or Others dont need a Million dollars invested to catch Bass.Same for R/c The New Sanwa m17 Do Ya gotta have it? No...
P.S.I lived on the Delta and Killed with a 14 Foot Jon Boat!!!
Old 02-15-2019, 04:15 AM
Tech Master

fishing... south shore of lake erie... I was 10..

went to the public library... for a "BOOK" on fishing... got a stick.. some old kite string.. went to store for hooks..
rode my bicycle 5 miles to the 72th street docks........went fishing...

NO Father in my life.. a guy has to learn from somewhere...
Old 02-15-2019, 05:29 AM
Tech Champion

Check out your five favorite tracks websites and face book pages.

Is a schedule posted front and center, not hidden behind an obscure clicky? No.
Are the classes posted? No.
Rules? Forget about it.
Are practice days available, and listed?

Do you have an info thread on Rctech? No. Even if no one posts there, at least list the classes, rules, and a schedule every month.

Does your friggen track even pop up in google?

Is there a recommendation for a class to start with, VTA, F1, 2wd buggy, 2wd SCT, etc.etc. with a budget minded complete parts list?

Does your track look like a hazmat waste dump, that scares parents and spectators away?

Sure, I'll just drive 2 hours to find out I have the wrong motor, or that racing is on Sundays now, not Saturdays. Get your S#%& together or go out of biz!

Your dinky hobby shop will be fine if you actually have the consumables that we're actually using during the race. Too often, even track shops, only have leftover product that I don't need. I don't mind paying a little extra for a set of tires I need NOW.

Last edited by Zerodefect; 02-15-2019 at 05:41 AM.
Old 02-15-2019, 08:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 166 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971
How about we ditch these high cost indoor AC tracks, and build more tracks in a field in BFE. In the 80s when I started on the east coast, tracks were in the middle of no where in a field. We charged off out car batteries of generators. Also, the European model of renting a gym, and laying down carpet and jumps, is another cheaper options to 24/7 rent on a building. If your building rent is 20K a month, that is hard to maintain in RC.
That's what our on-road group does here in Washington State. We rent out an unused school gym in the winter. Summertime we share a track setup for 1/8th scale nitro On-Road. For off-road we have a few options for carpet. Dirt tracks (especially clay) are just not cost effective. Too much overhead, and tracks lose money every month. Not something I would want to get back involved with.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:22 AM
Tech Adept

The track in Stockton Ca. Rents a building at the fairgrounds during the winter for onroad. carpet. Fairgrounds supply tables and chairs. The tracks name is 209rcraceway. There on FB. They run like twice a month on Saturdays but sometimes they run 2 day races during the weekend. I believe the Silver Dollar RC tracks that are run by Amain are on the Fairgrounds there in Chico Ca. I wish they would try to setup a indoor track using one of the fairgrounds buildings during the winter. Would be nice if they also ran a Onroad track on there parking lot.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:48 AM
Tech Adept

I have a possible solution, and an example of how we could improve the number of tracks in some areas. Unfortunately, it will require some help from local shops and a little work from people in the hobby. Complaining about track closures doesn't help. In our Area the local RC club worked with the city to procure an open lot on property owned by the city. The city not only went for it, but secured the lot for 5 years as I understand it. On city property the liability concern's could be handled under the same verbiage as a city skate park releasing the city from any liability. I understand that not all cities have a lot, but most do. For profit tracks are not the only way to boost club racing. Find out when your city holds meetings, attend, and pose the question. Take examples of how other cities have done it, show how the un-used property could benefit the area with people bringing money/tax revenue to the area. When people drive to the area, they buy food, gas, and RC items from local hobby shops, this all equals tax revenue for the city. I would print out all the benefits of having parks and recreational activities from the many online sources and present that to the city. Start a facbook page, prove demand, club support, some sponsored funding, take examples to them, a plan for parking, show them its no different than a park. I was sooo happy I moved to an area where this worked, big props to people here that made it happen in Eagle ID. Turn off the f'ing Xbox, get out and try this! If you are a local shop owner this is a no brain'er. I now have this track 1 minute from my house, its free to use every day like a park. Imagine not paying entry fees for as much practice as you want, how good would you get?! ...and guys this is a real track see vid. I cant wait for spring, my son and I are going to have a blast, and get more involved in supporting our local track. Less video games, more real life fun. Period.

This is the track on city property (contact them on facebook to get details on how they did it):

JCG1 likes this.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:21 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

for you guys whose clubs rent gyms or fair grounds, etc. Are you basically leaving the tracks up or do you need to tear them down periodically during your race season? This usually has been the sticking point for some public places as they are also used for other items, so we need to keep that in mind relative to teardowns of the track and having people available to do it.

Kind of hoping to find a spot in a dying mall with other business like food shops, could benefit that way for those business too.
TheWorstDriver likes this.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:19 PM
Tech Master

the Cleveland Ohio Track .. when it was in a school gym..

down and up every day of racing... 6 guys... 1 hour before.. and 1 hour after.. roll up and move to storage room....

Midena Ohio.... fairground building. using soda pop on concrete..... gallons of pop... mopping.. then washing it off every night after racing.
Old 02-15-2019, 03:34 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Mickey_B
One other thing I have witnessed first hand is alot of racers at the rc tracks are not friendly and don’t want to be bothered with talking to new people that are interested in the hobby. They hide in trailers or air conditioned canopy’s and pretty much ignore everyone until it’s there turn to race. Add in the fact that you often see grown adults acting like babies on the driver stand when things don’t go thier way or they break down and you start really understand why the hobby is not growing. I even would run into trouble with trying to find people to help me pit. I remember one occasion at a club race mind you, I took my car down to pit lane and asked the guy next to me if he would throw my car on the track and refuel later. Dude straight up said, no I am only pitting for my son, who evidently was going to be the next Ty Tessman after being the C main. I was like okay well can you just throw it on the track once I go up. Made some eye contact and just ignored me. For that race I literally put my car on the track started the race and midway ran down the drivers stand refueled my own buggy and ran back up. There was also like 6 other drivers with people pitting for them. They were all completely oblivious to me and the fact that was I having to race and pit for myself. Which after that I seriously wanted to sell my stuff and quit from people being straight up dickheads. This was also my 4th time at the track, so I had seen and met a lot of people.

I fill my own tank before Q's so I don't use up my pit guys effort before the mains.

Best part is when you run back up the stand, some fat slob moved over, and is in your spot. Haha. So now you have to elbow, everyone on the stand, in the face, to get a decent spot to race from.

Pitting for a racer used to be an honor. I actually enjoy it.
Old 02-15-2019, 04:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TheWorstDriver
I have a possible solution, and an example of how we could improve the number of tracks in some areas. Unfortunately, it will require some help from local shops and a little work from people in the hobby. Complaining about track closures doesn't help. In our Area the local RC club worked with the city to procure an open lot on property owned by the city. The city not only went for it, but secured the lot for 5 years as I understand it. On city property the liability concern's could be handled under the same verbiage as a city skate park releasing the city from any liability. I understand that not all cities have a lot, but most do. For profit tracks are not the only way to boost club racing. Find out when your city holds meetings, attend, and pose the question. Take examples of how other cities have done it, show how the un-used property could benefit the area with people bringing money/tax revenue to the area. When people drive to the area, they buy food, gas, and RC items from local hobby shops, this all equals tax revenue for the city. I would print out all the benefits of having parks and recreational activities from the many online sources and present that to the city. Start a facbook page, prove demand, club support, some sponsored funding, take examples to them, a plan for parking, show them its no different than a park. I was sooo happy I moved to an area where this worked, big props to people here that made it happen in Eagle ID. Turn off the f'ing Xbox, get out and try this! If you are a local shop owner this is a no brain'er. I now have this track 1 minute from my house, its free to use every day like a park. Imagine not paying entry fees for as much practice as you want, how good would you get?! ...and guys this is a real track see vid. I cant wait for spring, my son and I are going to have a blast, and get more involved in supporting our local track. Less video games, more real life fun. Period.

This is the track on city property (contact them on facebook to get details on how they did it):

https://youtu.be/h-RV3eA1vBE
Unfortunately that track is so new it has not yet proved it's ability to stick around. The original track location was working for over 25 years so maybe theres hope. The biggest issue is that is a very large track and not very suitable for 1/10th buggies, it's far more a nitro track and although the nitro guys are very enthusiastic there are dozens of 1/10th people for every nitro.... Supply and demand in action, time will tell. Meanwhile I know of a group looking into a 10th scale facility nearby, looking to not only have a place for serious racers but for the massive number of monster bashers that are so prevalent in the hobby today.
Old 02-15-2019, 06:46 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by asc6000
Unfortunately that track is so new it has not yet proved it's ability to stick around. The original track location was working for over 25 years so maybe theres hope. The biggest issue is that is a very large track and not very suitable for 1/10th buggies, it's far more a nitro track and although the nitro guys are very enthusiastic there are dozens of 1/10th people for every nitro.... Supply and demand in action, time will tell. Meanwhile I know of a group looking into a 10th scale facility nearby, looking to not only have a place for serious racers but for the massive number of monster bashers that are so prevalent in the hobby today.
thays actually a pretty good idea. A monster truck track with big jumps, more for fun. The hobby shop can sell tons of parts since bashers break parts almost every pack. It’s amost like the sole purpose of bashing is to go out and see who can break the car first. I say this from personal experience as a basher 😎
Old 02-16-2019, 03:32 AM
Tech Master

to big for 1/10 scale.. ??????

our 1/10 scale electric 2 wheel only track ... is 50-55 seconds PER LAP... 60-80 racers every week...
MOD record is 42.3 seconds.... just set by Jerry A G A I N...
I am NEW to MOD... second year in dirt.. I am doing 44-45 second laps.
Zerodefect likes this.
Old 02-16-2019, 05:21 AM
Tech Champion

Where's that?
Old 02-16-2019, 05:38 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
Where's that?
Chuck is in Texas. Everything bigger in Texas.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.