Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree211Likes

A CRY FOR HELP (RC tracks Closing)

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 10:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 140 (100%+)
Default A CRY FOR HELP (RC tracks Closing)

SCVRC and Tamiya closing, West Coast RC and all others that are gone.

This has to STOP happening. RC manufacturers have to know when tracks close, they lose customers. And any track in SOCAL that closes is a huge hit to their bottom line. If tracks close, people sell their stuff. It's that simple. Some will travel yes but it gets old fast. Letting tracks like West Coast and all the others close is just mind boggling. SOCAL is the HUB of RC. Kyosho, Associated, and many others are located here. These guys have to know that if there is nowhere to run/race our cars they will have no customers (I know they're global companies but c'mon). Maybe manufacturers pool some money together (stop offering "sponsorships" to everyone) and open a first class facility in SOCAL. Or save the tracks that keep closing. Imagine if OCRC closed! Holy Shizz that would just stop RC for me (and I spend $$$$ on this hobby). Not driving to San Diego every week. Sorry. I know RB has other business' that support him and his family (which I'm so thankful for) so I know he is not relying on every single dollar that comes in (I hope he makes millions with OCRC but other tracks unfortunately do rely on every single dollar and it just doesn't seem to work here in SOCal....RENT IS TO DAMN HIGH!.

Just thinking out loud but it seems like tracks just don't make enough money these days in socal because of high rents for indoor buildings. Maybe cities will subsidize buildings for this hobby just like they build skate parks all over the city for kids. Again, thinking out loud. If the worry about paying such high rent was out of the way, tracks would be able to keep the lights on for many years to come.

Again...just thinking out loud (and pissed we keep losing such great tracks).
Old 01-20-2019, 10:16 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

RC racing is a very problematic business model. The track exists to attract and retain customers/racers. Problem is, there isn’t much money to be made in selling them RC stuff and if that stuff is available on line for 10% less, the track’s hobby shop becomes a small parts shop. If the market is strong enough, a track can exist there, but it’s very easy to over serve a market with 2-3 tracks, diluting the customer base at each. I’m lucky to have a couple of stable tracks in my area and I see how hard these guys work to make it happen.
Lonestar and big james like this.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:23 AM
Tech Rookie

Rent can be very expensive, and for sure is the biggest cost expense for any business. Every business needs every dollar it can to make improvements provide for their family, that is just how business works more money = better facility, better life for the owners.

However one thing that I would like to touch on that has always bothered me is sponsored racers. Everyone says these are the death of RC while I do not think they are the best for RC they really aren't overly bad. It motivates racers to get better and and come out and practice more. They say these are contracted buys which may be true, however a local track can sponsor a local driver or individual jut as easily as any manufacture or distributor can. It's just a way of doing business, or getting customers in the door. Most manufactures are putting MAP, coupon policies, and many other things in place but by no means do I think this should we have a say in if they want to stop their sponsor program. This is a great source or revenue for them, sure which isn't getting relayed to the tracks very much, but then again like I said if the local tracks don't like it why dont like it why dont the copy what they are doing too?

However, expensive rent or other prices are out of our control. But $10 practice fee for an all day thing is super cheap when that is the main source of your income.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:23 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I don't race, but that sounds super unfortunate. Not having a spot to rc really stinks
Old 01-20-2019, 10:29 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by timannnn6
SCVRC and Tamiya closing, West Coast RC and all others that are gone.

This has to STOP happening. RC manufacturers have to know when tracks close, they lose customers. And any track in SOCAL that closes is a huge hit to their bottom line. If tracks close, people sell their stuff. It's that simple. Some will travel yes but it gets old fast. Letting tracks like West Coast and all the others close is just mind boggling. SOCAL is the HUB of RC. Kyosho, Associated, and many others are located here. These guys have to know that if there is nowhere to run/race our cars they will have no customers (I know they're global companies but c'mon). Maybe manufacturers pool some money together (stop offering "sponsorships" to everyone) and open a first class facility in SOCAL. Or save the tracks that keep closing. Imagine if OCRC closed! Holy Shizz that would just stop RC for me (and I spend $$$$ on this hobby). Not driving to San Diego every week. Sorry. I know RB has other business' that support him and his family (which I'm so thankful for) so I know he is not relying on every single dollar that comes in (I hope he makes millions with OCRC but other tracks unfortunately do rely on every single dollar and it just doesn't seem to work here in SOCal....RENT IS TO DAMN HIGH!.

Just thinking out loud but it seems like tracks just don't make enough money these days in socal because of high rents for indoor buildings. Maybe cities will subsidize buildings for this hobby just like they build skate parks all over the city for kids. Again, thinking out loud. If the worry about paying such high rent was out of the way, tracks would be able to keep the lights on for many years to come.

Again...just thinking out loud (and pissed we keep losing such great tracks).
my thoughts exactly timannnn.

It’s even more sad cause the future of this world has their eyes fixed on iPads and iPhones. Instead of using theirs hands and brains learning how things work in real or toy life.

Wouldnt it be a dream if if they had tracks at the local parks paid for by Uncle Sam.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:04 PM
Tech Master

I started RC racing in 1991... never missed a winter...

I have seen 7 tracks close over the years... a few very good tracks..

at one time... a Saturday night indoor 1/10 scale pan car.. over 100 racers every week..
and that is also a problem... to many for the bathrooms... overload the electric for the building.. heating issues..

biggest issue I see... one or 2 races a week.. to little income for most tracks..
even if track is connected to a hobby shop..

here in south Texas... a Hobby Lobby closed last winter...
and they supported RC racing and a local track.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:13 PM
Tech Elite

To me rc racing and hobbyshops have been a win big and close hard thing . ive been doing rc racing since the 80"s seen places open with big fan fair then close 8 months later with shelves full.. same with paintball. big bucks in some n close in the red.. those that dont race dont help the cause..I went in with 4 guys a few years back opened a rc track then the building owner thought they could do a better job ..lol gone now.I was happy to hav a new RC shop open less than 5 miles from me sure I pay way more than internet but its in my hands when the cash leaves them..support rc shops rc tracks and buy more gear
ROLLINGaFTGT likes this.
Old 01-20-2019, 01:24 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I haven't raced since the mid 90's there was a local track we raced it, it ended up closing so I stopped racing, now that I'm back into it, the three tracks near me are like 50-70mi away, really sucks
chuck_thehammer likes this.
Old 01-20-2019, 01:49 PM
Tech Apprentice

I'd sell too if no track to race at. My track/hobbyshop will match any online price. I'm sure that doesn't translate to much, but it all adds up. I've spent quite a bit of money there, and happy to spend more if it helps keep the doors open. I practice and race when I can. Bashing in a park just doesn't do it for me.
Old 01-20-2019, 01:59 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TxLoser
I'd sell too if no track to race at. My track/hobbyshop will match any online price..
That's part of the problem with being an lhs. They don't likely make any margin doing that. More money passes through the business, but if they don't generate profit, they're on borrowed time.
Lonestar likes this.
Old 01-20-2019, 02:23 PM
Tech Regular

In Australia most if not all of the tracks are run and maintained by club members. Essentially non-profit and the land is provided by local council/government. Perhaps there needs to be a shift in approach from commercially run tracks to a community run track. Above too has its challenges with some members doing most of the heavy lifting but it does give us a track to race on.
Old 01-20-2019, 02:35 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Matty A
In Australia most if not all of the tracks are run and maintained by club members. Essentially non-profit and the land is provided by local council/government. Perhaps there needs to be a shift in approach from commercially run tracks to a community run track. Above too has its challenges with some members doing most of the heavy lifting but it does give us a track to race on.
^^This, I came here to post the same thing, you see this much more often outside of the US. The model of the track with a shop isn't going to work in this digital age with online sales, direct sales etc. I really believe the next step is a club track where cost is either offset with help of the city, or it is membership based and work is shared by the club members who pay a monthly fee for access. Form an LLC or non-profit, find some land and focus on pulling in new members who will pay dues to race on the track/s. As mentioned above, it will take work and with all things, you need to work through the division of labor, but people will help and donate to have a consistent place to race. And if everyone has a vested interest in the track, more pride will be taken in keeping it up with regards to maintenance.

But the old model simply isn't going to work, no matter how many people curse at sponsored drivers and/or ebay and Amazon. imho
Cain, oldernoob and aracefan like this.
Old 01-20-2019, 02:50 PM
Tech Master

Medina Ohio,,,

the city park... has a good size dirt RC track.. and its controlled / run by the local RC club...
google earth has a good showing of it....
several ball fields,, dirt bicycle trails in the woods.
skateboard track..
ZEe_NYC and stangdriverdoug like this.
Old 01-20-2019, 03:08 PM
Tech Rookie

I agree that a club owned model may have to be the future for tracks here in the states. Even the tracks that are successful aren’t really profitable, they just make enough to keep the doors open. It’s a labor of love.
losicorey and RCSteveH like this.
Old 01-20-2019, 03:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Local community civic cooperation seems the future for RC racing. At least at the grassroots local level.

Problem is RC tracks in recent years have grown so large that the area they demand is out of proportion to the space available economically. Civic facilities are often multi use having to spread the taxpayer dollars among the various stick-and-ball sports, horseshoes, and whatever. Aspiring to a civic supported RC track may require racers to lessen their expectations on the size of track that comes available. 1/10 tracks are most likely the easiest sell. Large 1/8 and 1/5 tracks not so much so.

Best lobby the racer has for obtaining a civic supported track is a consortium of LHS-the few that may be left. Approach it as a combined effort to provide the racer a reliable place to race and to maintain their business model. Business prospering and paying taxes to the local government always works as a foot in the door.

My 2-cents. Regards. AC
petersen114 likes this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.