Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree211Likes

A CRY FOR HELP (RC tracks Closing)

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 05:58 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Man, this thread hits the spot. I have 1/12 carpet pan cars with no place to race. I haven't seen a track nearby in 10yrs.
chuck_thehammer likes this.
Old 01-28-2019, 07:07 PM
Tech Adept

When my then BFF and I were 15 years old we bought a 14' John Boat and then built a deck in between the 2 seat decks with a live well and we used a 15HP Mercury tiller motor and we would KILL the pros in tourneys.
You wouldnt survive out here in that boat. The SF Delta has swallowed many a john boats and have had deaths due to high 4 foot rollers due to the wind. Clear Lake gets 6 foot rollers. Most lakes here in Northern Cal can get very nasty. IM glad I got a bass cat. It can run on top of those waves. Ranger is known as a slow but comfy boat. Wouldnt touch one.
Old 01-28-2019, 07:47 PM
Tech Initiate

I hear about tracks closing down but i wonder if it is the hobby shop + track combination because the track I race at on a good day has 6 or 7 people show up on a race day and its been running for a very long time we pay 40 dollars a year for membership and 15 a race day, the hobby shop and track idea should be scraped in my opinion
Old 01-28-2019, 08:16 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by prorcguy
I hear about tracks closing down but i wonder if it is the hobby shop + track combination because the track I race at on a good day has 6 or 7 people show up on a race day and its been running for a very long time we pay 40 dollars a year for membership and 15 a race day, the hobby shop and track idea should be scraped in my opinion
Could be they already own the building and land? Or have a very good landlord that isn’t looking to make money. I’d guess that that bought the property at low price back then, now days probably couldn’t open the same place. Not sure what property or buildings go for up north. But here it’s common to find rents of $100,000 a year( just rent, no utilities) for buildings that would struggle to fit even a small track, and pit area. Plus now everything has to be handicap accessible. I’ve read of a few track closing because of this alone. Cost of rebuilding drivers stand, or adding a wheelchair lift was more then they could justify.

There are an easy dozen buildings I know off that haven’t been used in years. But would cost small fortune to clean out, a build a even basic facility.
chuck_thehammer likes this.
Old 01-29-2019, 02:06 AM
Tech Master

a building.
city permits and inspections. almost impossible to pass in a timely manner.
rent / mortgage
Fire Marshall inspections, almost as bad as city inspections.
insurance for property
insurance for liability
Electric, think of 40 racers needing 15 amp service EACH and power the building services... so a building having 1,000 amp service... MINIMUM
Heat
water
sewer
personal, even operator needs a paycheck.
repairs
maintenance

you think of your home rent or mortgage and the PLUS is costly..
you have NO idea for a business, unless you own one.

rc tracks. I used to race at WERE
closed food store
closed Store Front, strip mall.
closed bowling alley
closed restaurant
closed school.. gym and class rooms
closed food store basement.
closed car repair garage.

follow a trend.. old buildings.. that had Failed businesses

go take the Small Business Administration CLASSES... for starting a business

Last edited by chuck_thehammer; 01-29-2019 at 02:17 AM.
Old 01-29-2019, 05:52 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by king96bill
I too am worried about all the knock off companies showing up, a lot of people just getting in the hobby don’t realize what there buying and get a bad taste from crappy products. But i also understand why they get so much business, this hobby is not cheap and can be really intimidating when just getting started. For me when I got started in crawling 6 years ago I thought if I didn’t buy every option part that my car would not perform at all and be a waste of time. But it is concerning that a lot of good tracks and stores are closing, but everything is about price and people would rather save a couple bucks and go online. Don’t get me wrong not all hobby shops are created equal but if your lucky enough to have a good one close to you support it. Btw love the channel and always look forward to new videos.
All of these are great and valid points. Honestly what might help the most is if the pioneers/professionals in the hobby are asked questions on how to get into the hobby,specifics on “how to “ do a build they have watched someone else do , or simple/general track set up questions, etc. That these Proffesionals took the time to actually respond to people.
There are a lot of (professionals) in the hobby that don’t reply to emails,messages etc from people who have had there interest peaked by the hobby in one form or another. SHARE THE KNOWLEDGE. Yes I know you can watch videos on just about anything now days but if someone is asking you a direct question on a build,set up,parts #, fabricating,track set up and you can’t take 5 minutes out of your day or week to reply? Well then you are part of the problem. Track , magazine and store closings are probably a part of life and will always happen but without helping out the average Joe hobbiest / newb the hobby will no doubt continue to have its ups and downs.
In closing there are a TON of good people in the hobby that do take the time to others. I’m just saying if your reading this and you have to think about it then you are probably part of the problem. Just one mans opinion.
Going off the last 5+ years on forums. Those asking about those low buck knockoffs usually aren’t interested, or even aware of RC racing at any level. They have seen some crazy YouTube video and that all that want to match. Had countless discussions over the years. Watched as 50+ will say don’t buy. They see one positive video and ignore all the info provided. Now they would most likely never ever come on to the forums. Most just go to Facebook.
Old 01-29-2019, 06:19 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

While I agree that companies should have protection from "direct copy/clones", I have a greater appreciation of "reverse engineered" designs which improve upon the original design. For example, there are many aftermarket brands which offer more tuning options with geometry that you just can't get from the OEM. This breeds competition not only on the track, but also in the marketplace as more brands continue to expand innovation (on copied designs) which are improved upon.

In contrast, I have a bigger concern with Traxxas who has morphed into a "Patent Troll" and have abused the system which has effectively eliminated their competition which in turn stifles innovation, if nothing is done to stop them, then my biggest fear is that Traxxas will develop a monopoly which is currently the path they are systematically doing, more on my thoughts here: Boycott Traxxas

I know that Traxxas will threaten to revoke the dealer status from a hobby shop if they carry too many parts from competing brands, shops lose the ability to run the business the way they want... another prime example is DollarHobbyz who used to chop up RTR's from Traxxas and sell parts for about 50% off, but about 2 years ago they sent a statement that Traxxas threatened to revoke their dealer discount if they didn't change their whole business model and have since been forced to sell Traxxas parts at full price with Traxxas labeled parts bags... shrug
Old 01-29-2019, 07:47 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by billdelong
While I agree that companies should have protection from "direct copy/clones", I have a greater appreciation of "reverse engineered" designs which improve upon the original design. For example, there are many aftermarket brands which offer more tuning options with geometry that you just can't get from the OEM. This breeds competition not only on the track, but also in the marketplace as more brands continue to expand innovation (on copied designs) which are improved upon.

In contrast, I have a bigger concern with Traxxas who has morphed into a "Patent Troll" and have abused the system which has effectively eliminated their competition which in turn stifles innovation, if nothing is done to stop them, then my biggest fear is that Traxxas will develop a monopoly which is currently the path they are systematically doing, more on my thoughts here: Boycott Traxxas

I know that Traxxas will threaten to revoke the dealer status from a hobby shop if they carry too many parts from competing brands, shops lose the ability to run the business the way they want... another prime example is DollarHobbyz who used to chop up RTR's from Traxxas and sell parts for about 50% off, but about 2 years ago they sent a statement that Traxxas threatened to revoke their dealer discount if they didn't change their whole business model and have since been forced to sell Traxxas parts at full price with Traxxas labeled parts bags... shrug
No reason to bring Traxxas into this discussion. Comparing what they did to Dollar Hobies is like comparing a Ford, Chey dealership chopping up new cars to sell parts

Traxxas doesn’t care about RC racing. Hasn’t in the 8 years I’ve been in the hobby and doing just fine without. If they thought they could make money by owning tracks, or creating their own race series. I’m sure they would. But they see where they hobby has moved to.

Old 01-29-2019, 08:24 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

I think Traxxas is the only brand in off-road racing that has a dedicated "Spec Slash" class at many clubs, even in oval racing there is a "Mud Boss" class that is catered to the Slash. I believe Traxxas has far more influence in the racing community than you realize.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:13 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by billdelong
I think Traxxas is the only brand in off-road racing that has a dedicated "Spec Slash" class at many clubs, even in oval racing there is a "Mud Boss" class that is catered to the Slash. I believe Traxxas has far more influence in the racing community than you realize.
It’s completely possible. I can only really go off the local tracks that offer off road. 1 just closed, neither of the others offer a Slash class.

I do know the recent 4tec2.0 has given a number a reason to consider on road. And a few have been running a class based of it.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:22 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

How about we ditch these high cost indoor AC tracks, and build more tracks in a field in BFE. In the 80s when I started on the east coast, tracks were in the middle of no where in a field. We charged off out car batteries of generators. Also, the European model of renting a gym, and laying down carpet and jumps, is another cheaper options to 24/7 rent on a building. If your building rent is 20K a month, that is hard to maintain in RC.
Pistol123 likes this.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:33 AM
Tech Addict

Dont forget the rising cost to get into the hobby. For 1/10 touring, the cutting edge kits Are well over 500 bucks with nothing But a bare chassis. Sure budget oriented chassises do exist, But for those
who want to be on the front, they just need
a little bit edge that cost a fortune. I have no objection towards getting faster. But when someone is looking at 500 plus for a bare chassis, It makes me wonder, Are we racing for fun or Are we getting a bit too serious?
Old 01-29-2019, 09:39 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971
How about we ditch these high cost indoor AC tracks, and build more tracks in a field in BFE. In the 80s when I started on the east coast, tracks were in the middle of no where in a field. We charged off out car batteries of generators. Also, the European model of renting a gym, and laying down carpet and jumps, is another cheaper options to 24/7 rent on a building. If your building rent is 20K a month, that is hard to maintain in RC.
Outdoor tracks work in warm climates. What about the other half of the country? Outdoor season is about 20 weeks in Chicagoland. Probably going to loose couple to rain minimum.

The field is owned by someone. Not everyone just gonna let a group come in a use it. Most schools either use their gyms on weekends or due to insurance reasons can’t allow outside use
Old 01-29-2019, 10:03 AM
Tech Master

rc indoor tracks have air conditioning ??? never seen that.

indoor is Winter... way to hot indoors for summer. and the Ohio humidity is unbearable.
outdoor is summer. when dry..

where I race now ... its owned by a RV camp ground... for winter racing...outdoor... dirt.
they have been racing here for many years... me, 2 winters. well this is my second winter.
dirt is not easy, when you are used to Carpet. pan car
Old 01-29-2019, 10:03 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly

Outdoor tracks work in warm climates. What about the other half of the country? Outdoor season is about 20 weeks in Chicagoland. Probably going to loose couple to rain minimum.

The field is owned by someone. Not everyone just gonna let a group come in a use it. Most schools either use their gyms on weekends or due to insurance reasons can’t allow outside use
I see schools rent out their gyms all the time to outside organizations. My daughter does cheerleading. They rent a gym weekly and cheer is more dangerous than RC . Outdoor tracks in a field, often involve someone into RC building a track on their own land. Then the club members help build and maintain the track. All I am saying is, when your costs out weight your profits, you close. How do you fix that? Lower your costs....You will never stop people from shopping online. The only thing you can control is your own cost structure.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.