Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Whats the difference between these two motors? >

Whats the difference between these two motors?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Whats the difference between these two motors?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 03:19 AM
Tech Adept

Default Whats the difference between these two motors?

So I'm looking to purchase a new racing motor for my E-buggy and I'm set on one from Hobbywing, as I have a Hobbywing ESC and I want to use the full-sensored mode that the ESC offers.
Up untill now I have used an 'ok' off-brand 2000kv motor with fairly weak batteries.
I'm looking at either the Hobbywing 1900kv motor or 2200kv motor. I know most of you are thinking "1900kv is king" right now, but hear me out.
I don't race on your typical tracks, especially the ones you see in the US. I race on everything from tight dirt tracks to crazy grip astro tracks to a HUGE multi surface track with a 100m straight.

Now to the actual question: What would be the better option: Buying the 1900kv and changing the gearing for the different tracks OR buying the 2200kv and changing the gearing + turning the power down/up on the radio.

I know 2200kv is overkill but I have a feeling 1900kv might be 'underkill'. It would seem that the 2200kv would give me a little more versatility, but Maybe I'm seeing this wrong. Anyway I'd like to hear your thoughts.
Old 11-30-2018, 05:45 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

My opinion- I’d still go with the 1900kv. It sounds like most of the mixed surfaces are higher grip. That means more amp draw so harder to manage temps and run time. A 1900 kv motor will move a 1/8 scale buggy as fast as it’ll ever need to go and should give you at least as good an operating range.

FWIW, when I ran 1/8e on medium sized tracks, I used a 1700kv. While the 1900kv was slightly faster than me at the end of a straight, I had more punch than the traction could harness (set my speed control's current limiter to 65-70%), was able to make a 15 minute main on 4,500mah/4s packs.

Last edited by Davidka; 11-30-2018 at 07:22 AM.
Old 11-30-2018, 05:58 AM
Tech Master

temperature management,
battery management.

gearing, amp draw, motor heat... then there is RUN TIME..
a dialed back motor is not as efficient as a properly selected motor for the track and gearing.
Old 12-01-2018, 07:41 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Whatever track you're going to go to most go and see what everyone else is running and pick the closest thing to that.
Old 12-01-2018, 08:13 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

As Davidka stated, you will be best served at 1900KV, a few years ago everyone was trying to run 2000-2200 KV, yet these days with changing track conditions, smaller tracks, a 1900KV is a safe bet. You wont be overpowering your buggy when grip is strong, and the same you wont be wasting power when there is a lack of grip.