• 1 Post By rekim
  • 1 Post By a1
  • 1 Post By Racer56556

Best SCT for Loose/Loamy Track?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 01:47 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Best SCT for Loose/Loamy Track?

Looking to pick up a short course truck to run at my local track. The track never really grooves up much and is very sandy on top. I know that traditional wisdom says I should use a rear motor, stand up transmission with ball diff. However, I've read recently where guys are using mid-motor trucks on all surfaces.

So, with that in mind, what would you guys recommend? I've heard the SC6.1 is primarily for high-bite tracks, but I have no idea if that opinion has any merit. Naturally, when thinking about the latest technology, the TLR 22SCT 3.0 and the AE SC6.1 both come to the forefront of my mind.

Anyway, your thoughts would be most appreciated.

- Chappy
Old 11-27-2018, 04:06 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Ive run a few rear and mid motor trucks and the fastest truck so far on any surface for me has been the TLR. Its just so easy to setup and in box stock form has tremendous steering. Never really raced them outdoors but on some low bite blue groove it was the most stable and easiest to drive. The shocks are pure butter and it doesnt feel as twitchy as the SC5m or SC6.1.
Old 11-27-2018, 03:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 159 (99%+)

Either truck will be great. The deciding factor might simply be which one has better setup sheets and support for your track conditions.
ChappyEight likes this.
Old 11-27-2018, 04:28 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

i think for loose track you would want a true rear motor. i would go with the TLR 22sct 2.0, which can be built as either RM or MM
Team Losi Racing

i think the 2.0 required you to buy additional bits to make it a MM, but out of the box it comes as RM
MaX-D likes this.
Old 11-27-2018, 04:39 PM
a1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

sc10 can be had pretty cheap, even cheaper used. Its a rear motor and proven with hundreds of set up sheets. You can find one used for about 100 bucks
ChappyEight likes this.
Old 11-27-2018, 11:26 PM
mes
Tech Elite

The TLR 22 3.0 buggy generates a huge amount of traction, and I can't see how the SCT would be any different. RM is not faster at all except maybe on point-and-shoot tracks. As soon as there are flowing corners, the MM set-up will produce faster laptimes also on dusty tracks. Been there...
Old 11-27-2018, 11:29 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Believe it or not a slash with a low lcg chassis works surprisingly well on loose outdoor tracks . If you are running a spec motor it’s going to be to heavy but if running mod you can definitely hurt peoples feelings.
MaX-D likes this.
Old 11-30-2018, 09:19 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

TLR SCT 2.0 Mid motor with 4.5t Reedy motor and Proline Badlands all the way around.
Old 12-01-2018, 09:54 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The yoshi truck is damn good outdoors. I used to despise 2wd as my lead finger didnt reward me when driving them, however the kyosho Sc6m was insanely easy to drive with tons of steering and stability. So much so that when my friend handed me the wheel for the a main out of the blue, I won by 2 laps and some change (I've raced in 6 total races - heats included, in 2wd.)