Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree353Likes

Kyosho Ultima RB7 Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 07-26-2018, 08:58 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Kyosho Ultima RB7 Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: tobamiester
Kyosho RB6.6 to RB7 conversion kit RB66TORB7 from Conversion Kit

Parts included (and updated list for RB6.6)

UM703B Front Bulkhead

UM753-1B Shock plastic parts set x 2

UM760 Chassis

UM761 Front suspension arms

UM762 Rear suspension arm

UM763 Front hub carrier

UM764 Wing Stay

UM765 Centre bulkhead (waterfall brace)

UM766 Universal joint ring

UM767 Wing

UMB06 Body

UMD05 Decal sheet

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2021, 07:01 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OffRoadJunkie
After the race, did you check your plastic dog bone sliders? What condition are they in?
Honestly I havent even taken the buggy out of my truck yet. First kid is due any day now and I've been a preoccupied with last minute things to get ready. I had planned to keep a close eye on these based on your issues though. I'll let you know what I find.

Originally Posted by =Arise=
Try another 0.5 degree of rear toe, even another 1°. I was struggling for rear sideways grip as well for a time.
I'm running 4 ° on my set-up for wet clay.
I tried a brass weight under the transmission, that helped but it was still rear happy in tight turns, it would also have a swinging pendulum effect when it started to come around. It made it hard to catch and correct. The car also started to slap off jumps a lot more. So I removed that and played with rear toe. 3.5 was good, 4 was great.
I also dropped the rear oil by 2.5 wt. As I didn't have the weight there anymore.
Car is a lot more planted in the rear on all corners. But you can still get it oversteering if need be. It feels well balanced now.

I just run my rear camber at -1°. Same as the front. Could give -2° a go, that should give mid to later corner grip a bump as well.
I'll definitely try those changes, what you are describing with the swinging pendulum just about mirrors what I get out of mine. I'm used to a rear sliding with my rc8b3 but that is at least controllable and predictable, this just doesnt want to correct until you let it coast to correction. I'm actually running 2 deg camber front and back, i'll keep them there and try the toe adjustment first and work the camber after if I'm not satisfied. Appreciate the suggestions!
=Arise= likes this.
Old 03-09-2021, 07:27 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Functional
Honestly I havent even taken the buggy out of my truck yet. First kid is due any day now and I've been a preoccupied with last minute things to get ready. I had planned to keep a close eye on these based on your issues though. I'll let you know what I find.

I'll definitely try those changes, what you are describing with the swinging pendulum just about mirrors what I get out of mine. I'm used to a rear sliding with my rc8b3 but that is at least controllable and predictable, this just doesnt want to correct until you let it coast to correction. I'm actually running 2 deg camber front and back, i'll keep them there and try the toe adjustment first and work the camber after if I'm not satisfied. Appreciate the suggestions!
No worries.
Let us know how it goes with the extra toe in on the rear.
I'm going to play with the rear roll centre to see if I can fine tune it.
Old 03-10-2021, 11:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default Is good buggy

=Arise=, Functional and Milkdudd like this.
Old 03-10-2021, 11:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

So I no longer have to worry about those plastic universal shaft sliders anymore, I broke down and bought the metal diff cups and uni. shafts.
=Arise= likes this.
Old 03-10-2021, 01:03 PM
Tech Apprentice

So I no longer have to worry about those plastic universal shaft sliders anymore, I broke down and bought the metal diff cups and uni. shafts.
Well you should get barely any wear with the steel items especially with a 17.5.
I've been running mine with a 7.5 since June and they still look good.
It's odd that those plastic pieces wear so quick. Maybe it's a flaw in the material they used.
Old 03-10-2021, 01:09 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by =Arise=
Well you should get barely any wear with the steel items especially with a 17.5.
I've been running mine with a 7.5 since June and they still look good.
It's odd that those plastic pieces wear so quick. Maybe it's a flaw in the material they used.
It could be. The other ones I had in there lasted for a few months for each set. However, I was running at 0 timing. Now it's at 45. I was thinking that might have something to do with it. Either way, I don't think the metal units are going to show a performance difference, so I just decided to go that route. I did purchase some new sliders just in case I decided to go back to them.
Old 03-11-2021, 08:08 AM
Tech Elite

Just in case some of you were wondering, you can use the aluminum universal shafts, from the RB7ss, on the RB7 without any other mods. The dog bone pin is metal, FYI...
=Arise= and Functional like this.
Old 03-12-2021, 12:51 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (86%+)

Just in case some of you were wondering, you can use the aluminum universal shafts, from the RB7ss, on the RB7 without any other mods. The dog bone pin is metal, FYI...
Any issues with them being 64mm as opposed to the stock 65.5mm shafts?

Thx
Old 03-14-2021, 11:58 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JCG1
Any issues with them being 64mm as opposed to the stock 65.5mm shafts?

Thx
Not at all. I was afraid the drives would slip out and I would have to put shims on the insides of the hub, but I didn't have to. I'll be out camping/riding this week, but when I get back, I'll post a picture.

Just in case there is a difference, I will add one disclosure. I pulled the diff out of an RB7 and put it in the RB7ss. I am not sure if the cups are the same size as the RB7ss after market units. I do know that they have different part numbers and they no longer make the cups that come in the box for the RB7. I just found out this information while going over the parts list for the RB7.
JCG1 likes this.
Old 03-15-2021, 08:59 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default car twitchy on astro turf

Hi guys, I've got my car just about dialed in our local astro turf track but I can't seem to get rid of the car feeling twitchy, it's very sensitive to small inputs and has a small tendency to oversteer under hard braking. Generally the track likes a clay setup and the standard astro setup doesn't work. Below is a lap of the track with my zx7

Old 03-15-2021, 10:10 AM
mes
Tech Elite

Without knowing your set-up it is hard to guess what your car needs. Thicker shock oil or smaller pistons in the front or moving the battery to the rear might help to tame your front end and limit weight transfer to the front when braking.
Old 03-15-2021, 10:29 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (86%+)

Not at all. I was afraid the drives would slip out and I would have to put shims on the insides of the hub, but I didn't have to. I'll be out camping/riding this week, but when I get back, I'll post a picture.

Just in case there is a difference, I will add one disclosure. I pulled the diff out of an RB7 and put it in the RB7ss. I am not sure if the cups are the same size as the RB7ss after market units. I do know that they have different part numbers and they no longer make the cups that come in the box for the RB7. I just found out this information while going over the parts list for the RB7.
Do you know the weight of the aluminum shafts?

Thx
Old 03-15-2021, 10:52 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Brocklee
Hi guys, I've got my car just about dialed in our local astro turf track but I can't seem to get rid of the car feeling twitchy, it's very sensitive to small inputs and has a small tendency to oversteer under hard braking. Generally the track likes a clay setup and the standard astro setup doesn't work. Below is a lap of the track with my zx7
How does the car feel without the camera on the back wing? The camera weight high and at the back of the car could be acting like a pendulum, making the rear unstable and want to swing out. Also, if you have front toe-out, it can make the car unstable in sweepers at high speeds. Could also try shortening the rear shocks by turning in the shock eyelets (or going to a shorter one). This will lessen weight transfer forward and should help on the oversteer issue when braking.
Old 03-15-2021, 11:15 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by mes
Without knowing your set-up it is hard to guess what your car needs. Thicker shock oil or smaller pistons in the front or moving the battery to the rear might help to tame your front end and limit weight transfer to the front when braking.

I've got my setup sheet attached. I ordered the rear ldw weight last night for the car so it sounds like I'm going in the right direction. the only weight I have added to the car is a battery weight to bring it up to 1500 grams. I also missed the spot for the rear pills, I've got rr d-in and rf a. Going through this I think I can widen the front track as I've got it set to narrow right now
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
RB7SS_EditableSetupSheet.pdf (1.26 MB, 33 views)
Old 03-15-2021, 11:20 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by dmcguire
How does the car feel without the camera on the back wing? The camera weight high and at the back of the car could be acting like a pendulum, making the rear unstable and want to swing out. Also, if you have front toe-out, it can make the car unstable in sweepers at high speeds. Could also try shortening the rear shocks by turning in the shock eyelets (or going to a shorter one). This will lessen weight transfer forward and should help on the oversteer issue when braking.

The camera was just for kicks and giggles after the race had finished, I run it with a wing for the race. its a GoPro hero 5 session back there and adds a decent amount of weight and makes it feel top heavy, I've got a stiff 3d printed mount I made that replaces the wing altogether so its not bouncing around on the body or on the wing. I'll give the shorter eyelets a try in the rear again, I had played around with the shorter ones and thought it made it worse but that was a couple of weeks ago with a different tire.

Edit: the car feels amazing in sweepers currently, but I'm running 1* front toe out.

Last edited by Brocklee; 03-15-2021 at 11:24 AM. Reason: additional info

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.