Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree353Likes

Kyosho Ultima RB7 Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 07-26-2018, 08:58 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Kyosho Ultima RB7 Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: tobamiester
Kyosho RB6.6 to RB7 conversion kit RB66TORB7 from Conversion Kit

Parts included (and updated list for RB6.6)

UM703B Front Bulkhead

UM753-1B Shock plastic parts set x 2

UM760 Chassis

UM761 Front suspension arms

UM762 Rear suspension arm

UM763 Front hub carrier

UM764 Wing Stay

UM765 Centre bulkhead (waterfall brace)

UM766 Universal joint ring

UM767 Wing

UMB06 Body

UMD05 Decal sheet

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2020, 06:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OffRoadJunkie
Yea...
I noticed that. I started a thread on here about it. I'm wondering when the E-version will come out.
Yes I noticed that you started that other thread but not until I had already posted here. I don't expect nitro is in my future but it's good to see them committed to off-road racing. After the company was taken over by new owners fairly recently you just never know until things are announced. I don't see why changes in their nitro buggies wouldn't work their way over to electric at some point
Old 12-21-2020, 06:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Milkdudd
Yes I noticed that you started that other thread but not until I had already posted here. I don't expect nitro is in my future but it's good to see them committed to off-road racing. After the company was taken over by new owners fairly recently you just never know until things are announced. I don't see why changes in their nitro buggies wouldn't work their way over to electric at some point

I'm sure will will come. Most likely not for another year or two. They just came out with the MP10e. I'm guessing the MP10Te will be released pretty soon. There is a pretty big group of people screaming for it right now. They already have a bunch of converted MP10T's out there.
Old 12-21-2020, 08:13 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If anyone else out there is wondering the rb6.6 rear arms are in fact the same as the rb7 with the wide setting
Milkdudd and OffRoadJunkie like this.
Old 12-28-2020, 06:38 AM
Tech Apprentice

Are there any after market bodies available for the RB7? Haven't had much luck finding anything from the usual suspects.
Milkdudd likes this.
Old 12-28-2020, 08:51 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

RB6 and RB6.6 bodies may fit as the chassis shape is the same, but the RB7 is a few mm shorter. I'm sure someone on this thread has tried and will let you know.

Here is one that is an aftermarket RB7 specific body: https://www.absolutehobbyz.com/leadf...yosho-rb7.html
Milkdudd and jkranz like this.

Last edited by Khan48; 12-28-2020 at 02:14 PM.
Old 12-28-2020, 11:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 105 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jkranz
Are there any after market bodies available for the RB7? Haven't had much luck finding anything from the usual suspects.
Prolines body for the tlr 22 5.0 body fits also
Arcain41, Milkdudd and jkranz like this.
Old 12-31-2020, 03:03 PM
Tech Adept

Ran the RB7 on the backyard track today, it drives fantastically! However, a rock or some debris got between the pinion and spur and it ate up both to the point that there is a strange sound from that mesh now. Is there a motor cover for the laydown configuration that fully encapsulates the spur and pinon?
Old 01-01-2021, 12:07 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Khan48
Ran the RB7 on the backyard track today, it drives fantastically! However, a rock or some debris got between the pinion and spur and it ate up both to the point that there is a strange sound from that mesh now. Is there a motor cover for the laydown configuration that fully encapsulates the spur and pinon?
If there is I've never seen it. I think a sealed gear train is priceless outdoors in the dirt. The way I understand it the three gear stand up is an easy swap out and should allow you to fully protect the gear train. Let us know if you go that way
Old 01-04-2021, 11:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Milkdudd
If there is I've never seen it. I think a sealed gear train is priceless outdoors in the dirt. The way I understand it the three gear stand up is an easy swap out and should allow you to fully protect the gear train. Let us know if you go that way

Mr. Dudd has a good point. If you're running it in the back yard, you might want to switch to the layback gearbox. It will give you more traction at the rear tires and there is a cover for the spur and pinion that covers them entirely.
Old 01-04-2021, 01:41 PM
Tech Adept

I thought it drove great with the laydown in the dirt and grass! Better than the older standup and rear motor cars I had lying around. I decided to sketch up a full gear cover for the laydown motor plate. It should fit if I measured the dimensions correctly of the motor plate, but that is always tricky work. I created a backing plate to try and create protection around areas the motor plate doesn't reach. It's off to the printers and I should get it in a few days. If the backing plate doesn't fit, the front of the gear cover should still work pretty well on its own.

PM me if you have a printer and want the files to print and try now. If it fits and works well I'll eventually add to shapeways and post the files here.

Eric Tomczyk and =Arise= like this.
Old 01-04-2021, 02:29 PM
Tech Master

Very impressive work Khan. Did you do this on SolidWorks? That's the only 3D modeling program I've ever used. It sure is cool how 3D printers have opened up a whole new world for those with the ingenuity to utilize them. Would be cool if a whole new aluminum motor plate could take on that shape that you have shown. Guess that would take some kind of laser or water jet cutter. Keep up the good work
Old 01-04-2021, 03:51 PM
Tech Adept

I used Fusion 360; it's free for life (for now) for hobbyists and individual use. The parametric nature of Fusion is nice to use and makes it easy to make changes if you set the model up right.

It's strange how Kyosho tapered the motor plate instead of rounding it around the spur gear. There are no obvious clearance issues preventing them from having done that.
Old 01-05-2021, 08:41 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Khan48
I thought it drove great with the laydown in the dirt and grass! Better than the older standup and rear motor cars I had lying around. I decided to sketch up a full gear cover for the laydown motor plate. It should fit if I measured the dimensions correctly of the motor plate, but that is always tricky work. I created a backing plate to try and create protection around areas the motor plate doesn't reach. It's off to the printers and I should get it in a few days. If the backing plate doesn't fit, the front of the gear cover should still work pretty well on its own.

PM me if you have a printer and want the files to print and try now. If it fits and works well I'll eventually add to shapeways and post the files here.

That is awesome!
Not a fan of the standard partial cover.
I know it's not necessary on indoor clay or carpet, but I still like the idea of all the gears being protected from debris.
If you add it to shapeways, I'll definitely order it.
Old 01-11-2021, 03:20 PM
Tech Adept

I got my 3d printed parts today. I printed 3 parts; a front cover without tabs for a rear cover, a front cover with tabs, and a rear cover. Had to do a bit of grinding to get them to fit. The lower tab to hold the front and rear cover didn't work due to interference with the hinge pin holder, but it ended up holding together fine without it. Also had to flat the bottom of the spur gear area on the front and rear cover.

To install I had to remove two of the screws holding the side guard in place and flexed it out of the way to get the cover on. The rear cover is pretty flexible in the material I got (Shapeway's versatile plastic) so you can kind of shove it behind the motor plate from the rear without taking anything apart. I'm not sure if shoving it in there would work with PLA, someone would need to test. After that just run the screws through the holes.

Items to refine for the next and hopefully final version:
  • Adjust the geometry so you can put the cover on and off without removing the side guard screws.
  • Have a hole over the slipper nut so you can install the Kyosho supplied pop on slipper cover for quick adjustments.
  • Flatten the area beneath the spur gear.
  • Remove some material on the rear cover so it fits next to the hinge pin holder.
I have an extra front cover only, trimmed to fit if anyone wants it. PM me and I can get it to you for the shipping cost.

Image gallery after the parts were trimmed and ground, and then installed:
Spoiler

Eric Tomczyk likes this.
Old 01-11-2021, 03:29 PM
Tech Master

Very impressive. Kyosho needs to hire you, at least as a technical consultant

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.