R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Team Associated B6.1 & B6.1D thread (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/1010233-team-associated-b6-1-b6-1d-thread.html)

trf211 08-07-2019 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by Phillip F (Post 15490970)
I use a servo weight for that... it is way more effective than a front wing.

Anyways....I think if you are running your buggy like on road cars... 60mph and above.. that front wing will give more noticeable front downforce than just running in an off road track

I'm not trying to debate their effectiveness with you. Who am I to say someone else won't notice a difference and possibly benefit from it?

SSS Racing 08-07-2019 05:32 AM

HI
I am getting back into racing after a few years away. Notice a number of setup sheets nowadays mention outer shock spacers on rear shocks.

Something like 1 internal / 3 external

Does this mean 3 spacers are used on the outside of shock body, or unscrewing the shock end 3 times?

Cheers
Ryan

kdub 08-07-2019 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Phillip F (Post 15490504)
I don't feel the difference with front wing... even when I was racing at high bite carpet and now in a wet track.... no difference.... they are ugly looking too.

I noticed all this front wing "doesn't do anything" comment. Not true. I can run with and without a front wing, tell you the exact turns it makes a difference, and then the lap times back it up. I have tested it extensively at OCRC and run the high and low positions. I run a front wing 100% of the time and the lower front wing is my baseline. Wings work different than weight....as you go faster, the wing applys more force, unlike static weight which is not based on speed. A front wing keeps the nose down, especially when jumping into a turn, and it lets the car steer more on power yet release the turn without making the front suspension feel sluggish.

I can totally understand newer racers not feeling a difference with the front wing. Once you have a proper working car, on a consistent track you can tell 100%. Its not even up for debate anymore guys.

071crazy 08-07-2019 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Phillip F (Post 15490970)
I use a servo weight for that... it is way more effective than a front wing.

Anyways....I think if you are running your buggy like on road cars... 60mph and above.. that front wing will give more noticeable front downforce than just running in an off road track

By that same logic, you could just run a ton of rear weight instead of a rear wing.

Phillip F 08-07-2019 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by 071crazy (Post 15491158)
By that same logic, you could just run a ton of rear weight instead of a rear wing.

to some extent... BUT rear weight won't help with downforce when the buggy is up in the air. Try running your buggy without a rear wing and when your up in the air put a bit of brake on it ...It will nose dive super fast.... not pretty.

071crazy 08-07-2019 11:21 AM

you missed the sarcasm.

The point is that small adjustments add up over an entire setup.

sea1swk 08-07-2019 11:42 AM

Small adjustments are big. Only about .5 seconds per lap difference between the Pro's and myself. I like the way my b6.1d, runs with the front wing, gold shock bodies, chrome shock shafts, and my name on the side of the car. Maybe I am mental, but that is what the pro's do, from what I see.

Pistol123 08-07-2019 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by kdub (Post 15491138)
I noticed all this front wing "doesn't do anything" comment. Not true. I can run with and without a front wing, tell you the exact turns it makes a difference, and then the lap times back it up. I have tested it extensively at OCRC and run the high and low positions. I run a front wing 100% of the time and the lower front wing is my baseline. Wings work different than weight....as you go faster, the wing applys more force, unlike static weight which is not based on speed. A front wing keeps the nose down, especially when jumping into a turn, and it lets the car steer more on power yet release the turn without making the front suspension feel sluggish.

I can totally understand newer racers not feeling a difference with the front wing. Once you have a proper working car, on a consistent track you can tell 100%. Its not even up for debate anymore guys.

I don't think it's just newer drivers but I have noticed that as I have become more consistent it is easier to spot smaller differences. It is even more difficult to tell if the change is helping lap time or not. I sometimes like a change and can instantly feel I can drive a tighter line or keep more power on etc, most times I judge it on if it makes it easier to drive.

if I was more consistent it would be so much easier to measure 👍

SyncR 08-07-2019 05:16 PM

Hey guys, thinking of picking up a B6.1 to return to racing (last raced when first RC8 came out, and B4 with NiMh and brushed motors was around), just have couple possible dumb questions but wheels, do I need to look for anything special in regards to offset? and second does anybody know how thick the normal JC shells are? I really don't like the stock B6.1 body and was going to replace with a Proline Elite, but can't really find them in UK (plus be nice having more JC parts on car)

vegas7o2 08-07-2019 07:37 PM

can someone kindly recommend a spur/pinion setup for high bite carpet track ? i need to get a pinion and a new spur depending on recommendations please. thanks!

I am going to be running a 17.5t Hobbywing V10 G3 motor in it

Pistol123 08-08-2019 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by SyncR (Post 15491336)
Hey guys, thinking of picking up a B6.1 to return to racing (last raced when first RC8 came out, and B4 with NiMh and brushed motors was around), just have couple possible dumb questions but wheels, do I need to look for anything special in regards to offset? and second does anybody know how thick the normal JC shells are? I really don't like the stock B6.1 body and was going to replace with a Proline Elite, but can't really find them in UK (plus be nice having more JC parts on car)

For wheels just get the team associate b6.1 rear wheels or jconcepts ones are a little cheaper. For the fronts you have two options wide or narrow - narrow are good with Schumacher staggered ribs on astro or carpet etc.

071crazy 08-08-2019 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by vegas7o2 (Post 15491391)
can someone kindly recommend a spur/pinion setup for high bite carpet track ? i need to get a pinion and a new spur depending on recommendations please. thanks!

I am going to be running a 17.5t Hobbywing V10 G3 motor in it

I'm assuming you're talking about 702 raceway. Your best bet is to visit the track, and ask for gearing suggestions. Typically gearing is specific to a combination of motor, timing, and layout. They will probably have the parts you need for immediate purchase, so you won't have to wait for your mail order to arrive.

It's great to have a lot of questions, since that's how you learn about the hobby. But, it seems that a lot of them are better answered through visiting and supporting the great local track that you have.

SyncR 08-08-2019 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Pistol123 (Post 15491472)
For wheels just get the team associate b6.1 rear wheels or jconcepts ones are a little cheaper. For the fronts you have two options wide or narrow - narrow are good with Schumacher staggered ribs on astro or carpet etc.

Thanks, on another point don't suppose anybody could give a rundown of different JConcepts shells? what surface you use them on, how they feel etc

vegas7o2 08-08-2019 05:11 PM

I did visit 071, met a sponsored guy with a t6.1 got pics of his setup talked to him and got gearing recommendation for 13.5t truck - seems great

need to find out about 17.5 t buggy tho. all the charts ive looked at dont reflect stock 17.5 motors they are almost all 8.5t etc

i will actually be stopping by there saturday to check out the King of carpet race -

I can ask anyone there then however I still want the feedback from rctech members, thanks so much!

when I had visited before I actually didnt own a b6.1 so I couldnt ask about that then. This might have been useful information based on your response as well ;)

Slashripper 08-08-2019 06:57 PM

Vegas, start with 24/72 or equivalent and work up from there, assuming your not running 60 deg can timing.