Search
Like Tree219Likes

HB Racing D418 - 1/10 4WD Buggy

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 05:08 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jumbo_Jaque
When you say 100% full, are you saying to the top of the cross-pins, or max fluid to the point that anymore would be overflowing? I tried looking for Ty's diff rebuild video w/ the D413, but I think Team Tessman took all those videos down when he switched to XRay. On that note, any of you guys have any thoughts on how much mileage one should expect out of the diff seals? How often do they need replacing?
I'll make a quick Youtube video so everyone can benefit. I'm a visual person and I think I can better explain how much fluid I put in by showing you rather than telling you.
I'll try and have it uploaded by Saturday as I am busy the rest of the week. Sound good?
On a side note, I usually replace the diff gasket every third fluid change which is about the same time I do a rebuild.
Old 11-15-2018, 05:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

When you say 100% full, are you saying to the top of the cross-pins, or max fluid to the point that anymore would be overflowing? I tried looking for Ty's diff rebuild video w/ the D413, but I think Team Tessman took all those videos down when he switched to XRay. On that note, any of you guys have any thoughts on how much mileage one should expect out of the diff seals? How often do they need replacing?
save everyone time here.

Just search YouTube for this “david ronnefalk diff build“

David already made a video. Make the d418 same way.

Same as David, Victor and Eddie. All have made one and all same way.
Jumbo_Jaque likes this.
Old 11-16-2018, 04:48 AM
Tech Rookie

The slipper is out!

Old 11-16-2018, 08:12 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Have any one tried using the old (d413/d216) springs on the 418? I have the 216 with a bunch of springs and the 418 springs look a little short. Just wondering.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Slipper is in stock now: https://hbracing.com/en/cars/accesso...8-slipper-set/
Old 11-16-2018, 09:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TruggyDude91
Nope, I've never had a problem with leaky diffs. I fill them 100% full, put the top gear in, scrape the remaining fluid off the top of the diff with the body of a hex driver to make everything level, and then put the crown gear on. Some extra fluid might come through the screw holes when I place the crown gear on as the out-drive is displacing the fluid in the cut out for the pin to fit in the top gear. Once I clean that up, everything stays clean for me. Some fluid that I didn't clean up perfectly might weep a little on the case, but no leaking. I basically build the diffs per Ty's diff rebuild video he made for the D413 center diff. I fill 100% full that way the diff build is consistent every time I change fluids or do rebuilds.
I've found an overfilled diff to be notchy and when it gets hot out they start to spew fluid during a run. I guess YMMV.
Old 11-16-2018, 12:43 PM
Tech Adept

On that note - I haven't installed the 68-tooth spur yet. Will hopefully get that going this upcoming weekend - will let you know how that goes.
Hi mate, I’m considering this buggy for 13.5, I’m also in Australia, usually run at Ryde in Sydney. Just wondering where you got this exotek part and what’s the part number? Cheers
Old 11-16-2018, 04:48 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by JPucko

Hi mate, I’m considering this buggy for 13.5, I’m also in Australia, usually run at Ryde in Sydney. Just wondering where you got this exotek part and what’s the part number? Cheers
Hey mate - I ordered from Amain. Since they're small parts, the shipping was cheap and got it within 2-weeks. I think Hearn's Hobbies in Melbourne deals with Exotek too - so maybe give them a call too. That's where I go for all my D418 parts locally. Here are the links to the parts on the Amain site though - which also has the Exotek part number:

Spur assembly: https://www.amainhobbies.com/exotek-...xo1497/p441168
68T spur: https://www.amainhobbies.com/exotek-...xo1499/p441170

I mentioned it earlier, but figured it's worth mentioning again - this part was originally designed for the D413, which apparently used 1.3 mm hexes. So the small screws are 1.3mm. I got caught out initially because the smallest hex driver I owned was 1.5 mm. If you're in need for 1.3 driver, I thought this was the best deal at Bunnings: https://www.bunnings.com.au/kincrome...h-set_p6120337

BTW, what motor class are you running it in now? I'm going to run the D418 in the upcoming Vic Titles, using the 17.5 control motor. I got a 34T and 35T pinion as I'm anticipating I'll need to gear up a bit with that motor. Have you run that motor in the D418, and have suggestions on a decent starting gearing?

Cheers
Old 11-16-2018, 10:02 PM
Tech Adept

Rebuilding the diffs for the first time, and having difficulty getting the gear at the bottom of the cup out - so I can remove the outdrive and bearing. Its too small for a set of needle nose pliers I have. The diff oil is making it a bit sticky as well.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to get it out?

Old 11-16-2018, 10:09 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Rebuilding the diffs for the first time, and having difficulty getting the gear at the bottom of the cup out - so I can remove the outdrive and bearing. Its too small for a set of needle nose pliers I have. The diff oil is making it a bit sticky as well.

Magnet helps. I place it in and do a circular motion
Jumbo_Jaque likes this.
Old 11-16-2018, 10:50 PM
Tech Adept

Hey mate - I ordered from Amain. Since they're small parts, the shipping was cheap and got it within 2-weeks. I think Hearn's Hobbies in Melbourne deals with Exotek too - so maybe give them a call too. That's where I go for all my D418 parts locally. Here are the links to the parts on the Amain site though - which also has the Exotek part number:

Spur assembly: https://www.amainhobbies.com/exotek-...xo1497/p441168
68T spur: https://www.amainhobbies.com/exotek-...xo1499/p441170

I mentioned it earlier, but figured it's worth mentioning again - this part was originally designed for the D413, which apparently used 1.3 mm hexes. So the small screws are 1.3mm. I got caught out initially because the smallest hex driver I owned was 1.5 mm. If you're in need for 1.3 driver, I thought this was the best deal at Bunnings: https://www.bunnings.com.au/kincrome...h-set_p6120337

BTW, what motor class are you running it in now? I'm going to run the D418 in the upcoming Vic Titles, using the 17.5 control motor. I got a 34T and 35T pinion as I'm anticipating I'll need to gear up a bit with that motor. Have you run that motor in the D418, and have suggestions on a decent starting gearing?

Cheers
Thanks mate for all that info, helps a lot. Still on the lookout for my next 4wd buggy. This one is at the top of the list at the moment
Old 11-16-2018, 10:59 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by JPucko

Thanks mate for all that info, helps a lot. Still on the lookout for my next 4wd buggy. This one is at the top of the list at the moment
No worries. Not sure if you have a shop nearby that carries HB, but if not, give Hearns Hobbies a call. Ask for Rob and he'll get you setup.
JPucko likes this.
Old 11-16-2018, 11:49 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

When is the slipper set expected in the U.S?
Old 11-18-2018, 03:11 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Typically if I just set diff cup upside down on paper towel the gear will fall off after a few minutes. A long nose set of needle nose pliers could also likely grab it on the sides.
Goof and Jumbo_Jaque like this.
Old 11-18-2018, 06:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Adim_X
Typically if I just set diff cup upside down on paper towel the gear will fall off after a few minutes. A long nose set of needle nose pliers could also likely grab it on the sides.
I use needle long nose bought in harbor tools.
Jumbo_Jaque likes this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.