Axial YETI

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 05:58 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Metal One
A bit of 4S Yeti XL fun in the snow.

https://youtu.be/6uyN-7GTQ5k
That looks fun. We have a park across the street and there's mounds of snow. It would be fun. The axial bombers catching my eye now. So many choices....lol
Old 01-23-2016, 07:59 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 252 (100%+)

Touched my first axial bomber yeterday damn I want one and touched my first axial yeti xl today. Damn its huge about 1/5 size and completely badass looking. Definitely on my list now.
Old 01-23-2016, 09:12 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I've owned the Yeti, Yeti Xl, and now a Bomber.

I have loved them all. The Yeti Xl was just insane on 6s. BUt sadly, never had a good enough place to run it where I was living.

The Yeti was a RTR version with minor upgrades. Loved it. Worked great for a basher/mild crawler. Def didn't crawl like my wraith or scx10's though.

My Bomber, well, I have only had it a little over a month now. Been doing little upgrades to it, love it. Just needs more power now lol.

I will probably end up with another Yeti though. I love them and now that people have worked out the little flaws it had, it can be built to be almost bulletproof.
Old 01-24-2016, 04:57 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Perkul8r
I've owned the Yeti, Yeti Xl, and now a Bomber.

I have loved them all. The Yeti Xl was just insane on 6s. BUt sadly, never had a good enough place to run it where I was living.

The Yeti was a RTR version with minor upgrades. Loved it. Worked great for a basher/mild crawler. Def didn't crawl like my wraith or scx10's though.

My Bomber, well, I have only had it a little over a month now. Been doing little upgrades to it, love it. Just needs more power now lol.

I will probably end up with another Yeti though. I love them and now that people have worked out the little flaws it had, it can be built to be almost bulletproof.
I like the bomber too. I think I will get that one and the yeti. The yeti xL looks cool. I just think it will get big to fast too soon for the place that I'm going to be running it at.
Old 01-25-2016, 08:00 PM
Tech Regular

My Hot Racing steering system, Axial servo arm and a set of three MIP metric hex drivers arrived today. The drivers are so precise! I ordered the 3mm driver today to complete my Yeti tool set.

The servo arm allowed me to properly set my steering travel to get maximum throw in each direction. I didn't have that before. It's never just that easy though. With an AVC receiver, you must go through the bind and learn process after a travel adjustment. That means pulling up the ESC again. Yay. So I did all that and got it put back together. I think I'm gonna make an ABS plate for the ESC that will allow me to screw it down. It'll just make things easier.

I'll do the steering system later this week. Along with that 3mm MIP driver, I also ordered a Fast Eddy bearing kit, an RC screws stainless kit, Hot Racing aluminum motor mount, motor plate and front sway bar kit. No sense taking it all apart twice. While I'm in there, I'll do the three bearing mod to the rear pinion.

Last edited by Metal One; 01-25-2016 at 08:16 PM.
Old 01-29-2016, 03:58 PM
Tech Regular

Well... everything is here but the bearings, which I ordered a day before everything else. Can't do much without them. They were shipped on Monday but I haven't received a tracking update since Tuesday. Says they are still sitting in California. Next time, I'll stick with Boca. Not knocking Fast Eddie. They did everything right and fast as the name implies but Florida is a lot closer than CA.

Last edited by Metal One; 01-29-2016 at 05:17 PM.
Old 01-30-2016, 08:57 PM
Tech Regular

Some say he knows two facts about ducks and both of them are wrong.
Attached Thumbnails Axial YETI-img_5588.jpg  
Old 01-31-2016, 06:53 PM
Tech Regular

My HPI Blur speedo let the smoke out today. That's the second one that didn't last more than a few runs. Castle Mamba Monster X on the way.

Finally got an update on my bearings. They are in Nashville so they should be here tomorrow. At least I'll have something to do while I wait for the new ESC.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:51 AM
Tech Regular

Lets see... Rear bearings swapped. Found one of the diff bearings already grinding. Transmission bearings swapped. No surprises in there. Aluminum motor mount, motor plate, shock tower and steering system installed. Most of the stock screws have now been replaced with stainless. I'll do the front swaybar, diff and hub bearings tonight.

I could not do the 3 bearing mod to the diff pinions. It requires shims that are currently out of stock.

The RC Screwz kit was missing one of the 4 long transmission mounting bolts but other than that, it looks like it covers most of the kit with plenty of screws leftover. It doesn't include any of the special pin screws that Axial uses and the long set screws for the suspension links are a bit shorter than the stock screws so I didn't replace those. I did replace the diff screws and even the 1.5mm screws that hold the diff pinions in place. It looks like there are enough tiny screws to do the body as well.

Other thoughts. After a few weeks with the XL, I've decided that the hinge-up body is not really as convenient as a simple body mount would be, especially when it flops down while you are changing batteries or doing anything else in there.

A 65 watt bulb directly overhead is not enough to see what you are doing inside this chassis. It's like a cavernous pit that absorbs all light. I need a second clamp LED light and a flashlight to work on this thing. It's the blackest chassis of them all. None more black.

You know, the whole reason I looked at the Yeti XL in the first place was because I already had a 1/8th scale power system and now I've had to replace both the motor and the ESC. Heh!
Old 02-03-2016, 07:11 PM
Tech Regular

I was wrong. There are not enough short screws to do the body but there are a LOT of screws leftover in the kit. Too bad it didn't include enough for the transmission.

ESC arrived a day early. The Yeti lives again!
Old 02-06-2016, 12:27 PM
Tech Regular

Right! Just had my first really good bash with all the new stuff installed and it was great. No stripping sounds. The turning radius is really nice in both directions now. I can turn around in the street with plenty of room to spare. It's very good in the corners too with the front sway bar. It doesn't dig in and traction roll so easily anymore. It stays flatter and holds solidly at higher speeds with the new bellcrank. Shims should be here tomorrow. Yes, on a Sunday. Yeah, I don't get it either but that's what Amazon says so... ok then!

This is a different beast now. Hopefully, I'll have some good video of it later today. We're going for a creek crawl.

I haven't decided what I want to set the Aux input on the Mamba Monster X to operate. I could limit throttle with a switch for a crawling mode or I could adjust braking on the fly because endoes suck.
Old 02-07-2016, 08:44 AM
Tech Regular

Well... I can't use the Mamba's Aux wire with AVC enabled because AVC uses channels 3 and 4 for gain controls and I need at least one of those to operate the Aux wire. I cannot reassign the channels. I can only disable AVC and I don't plan on doing that so no Aux wire control for me.

Tried to shoot some Yeti video yesterday but was cut short by the new ESC emitting 4 beeps continuously. The Castle documentation says nothing about 4 beeps. Turns out, the data logger was full. It's enabled and logging everything it can by default so after 15 minutes of running, it was full. It's disabled now.

Back to square one on the diff shims. The ones I ordered were not the same. I guess Axial is the only company in the entire world that makes and uses a 10x8x0.3mm shim.

Last edited by Metal One; 02-07-2016 at 09:03 AM.
Old 02-24-2016, 02:29 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quick question........... My 1/10 scale yeti (Kit) should be in Friday. Have about $250 max to spend at Tower Hobbies for a motor/ESC system. Looking at this set up:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...1&I=LXBLCE&P=K

What do you guys think? If not a good pick, what would you suggest? Needs to be something that Tower Hobbies stocks.
Thanks for ANY help/suggestions you can provide.
Old 03-14-2016, 04:25 PM
Tech Regular

Finally! Shims for my XL's rear end have arrived. I can now finish the bullletproofing and then see what it can do on 6S.
Old 03-14-2016, 10:57 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Yeti kit build
Hobbywing xerun 150a esc
Hobbywing 4168 2250kv motor
Castle bec pro @ 7.4v
Trackstar ts-910 servo
Radiolink rc3s radio
Zippy compact 2200mah 4s 40C

Vanquish chubs
Vanquish knuckles
Hot racing carbon fibre steering rack and bellcrank
Crawler Innovations foam bumper insert
RPM arms
Associated rc8 steering link with traxxas 4mm ends
STRC skid/hingepin mount
STRC machined motor mount and cam
STRC heatsink motor plate
Hot racing rear spool
MIP rear driveshaft

1M front diff oil
Front blue springs and 45wt oil, inner most hole on the tower, outer most hole on the arm
Rear white springs and 20wt oil, inner hole on the arm

ssd 2sp still yet to arrive but will be in soon.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.