Like Tree1Likes

Axial YETI

Old 06-16-2014, 02:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default Axial YETI

Looks like the rumors and news from Axialfest were true, a new Axial kit is coming out! The RTR is ready for preorder, but I'm hoping a kit is soon to follow.

Old 06-16-2014, 03:23 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Saw some pics of this on RCC, looks like all they did was put a Wraith axle on the back of an Exo Terra. If this proves true I'll save my money.
Old 06-16-2014, 03:25 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Exojoe View Post
Saw some pics of this on RCC, looks like all they did was put a Wraith axle on the back of an Exo Terra. If this proves true I'll save my money.
From an R&D perspective this would be a good choice. They already have all the tooling, plus Axial is already known for parts interchangeability between their vehicles. But you're right, if that's all it is then the incentive for existing Axial fans is very, very small. I sure hope they don't go all Traxxas on us and just repackage the same cars but with different bodies (Slash == Rally, etc.).
Old 06-16-2014, 04:10 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

There were people doing wraith conversion like this themselves and some people paying big $$$ to have it done. That way they can have scale class 4 buggies. So it seems like a no brainer to me. I mean I don't want one but there is definitely a market.
Old 06-17-2014, 04:44 AM
Tech Apprentice

Yeah I agree on the tooling aspect, but I know several people with Exo's and the stock motor mount is junk and the front suspension has major issues with the dogbones, popping out. I had one for a few days and I sold it before I ever even drove it due to what I felt was poor design. If this proves to be more than some old design parts slapped together I'll have one. If not, I would rather put a slash front suspension on a wraith and call it done.

This one is supposed to have a 2-speed trans so that should eliminate the stock exo motor mount, I hope. I hope they did something to help the front. We'll see when they actually get out to the public.

With the current Tower discount, its $369 shipped.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:09 AM
Tech Adept

two speed, rear solid axle... sounds to me like a twin hammers competitor?

(hm? no dogbone popping out on my exo on stock settings)
Old 06-17-2014, 10:24 AM
Tech Apprentice

So from what I've read the front does have some refinements to it for the larger tires. Hopefully this cures some issues. Also read the trans comes locked in 2nd gear and will require the buyer to supply a 3ch radio and servo to get the 2-speed ability. If it's true then that's a bunch of BS on Axials part.

I have so far seen 3 Exo's, all 3 had the same front dogbone issues up front as well as motor mount issues. 3/3 doesn't fill me with confidence on that RC.

One showed up to play and popped the dogbone out and actually split the drive cup. IDK how he managed to split that part but it was in two pieces. Usually the dogbone just looks like a boomerang.

A couple local guys are wanting one of these real bad, I'll wait and see how theirs do as I wouldn't mind having one myself.
Old 06-17-2014, 01:38 PM
Team Tekin

So from what I've read the front does have some refinements to it for the larger tires. Hopefully this cures some issues. Also read the trans comes locked in 2nd gear and will require the buyer to supply a 3ch radio and servo to get the 2-speed ability. If it's true then that's a bunch of BS on Axials part.

I have so far seen 3 Exo's, all 3 had the same front dogbone issues up front as well as motor mount issues. 3/3 doesn't fill me with confidence on that RC.

One showed up to play and popped the dogbone out and actually split the drive cup. IDK how he managed to split that part but it was in two pieces. Usually the dogbone just looks like a boomerang.

A couple local guys are wanting one of these real bad, I'll wait and see how theirs do as I wouldn't mind having one myself.
It's much more than an AR60 on the back of an EXO, I saw it this weekend first hand.

As for the EXO problems, the original motor mount did have issues, but they revised a new one that cured it and the obvious solution to the dog bone problem was to put universals in, which should be one of the first things done to ANY car that has bones in the front. I've slammed my EXO and have not broken a single thing on it and some of the drive time was some brutal RTX racing at Axialfest.

I'm also not surprised at it being locked in 2nd gear RTR. Brushless doesn't really need a two-speed trans, plus RTR transmitters lack the EPA adjustment to keep from burning up the shift servo. I think the price point is spot on, adding the servo and 3 channel TX would just up the cost even more. For Ultra-4 racing you'll never be in 1st gear anyways, the guys that will crawl and race (like me) will absolutely use the 2spd.

The YETI will be a great rig and I'm excited to see it hit the market. Axial makes nice products and the staff are excellent people to deal with.
Old 06-17-2014, 03:00 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the info Ty! If they fixed the exo issues then its back on my "BUY" list!

The whole "much more than an AR60" has my interest now for sure!

I would assume it has fluid filled diffs? At least one up front? I would want a kit version as I would install an rx to use my hacked flysky and run that 2-speed for all its worth.
Old 06-17-2014, 03:18 PM
Tech Elite

I'm definitely waiting for a kit, I'm sure it'll follow soon
Old 06-17-2014, 03:31 PM
Team Tekin

Thanks for the info Ty! If they fixed the exo issues then its back on my "BUY" list!

The whole "much more than an AR60" has my interest now for sure!

I would assume it has fluid filled diffs? At least one up front? I would want a kit version as I would install an rx to use my hacked flysky and run that 2-speed for all its worth.
I'm not sure on the diff part, it's open diff front and locked rear in stock form, so I'd imagine it's fluid-filled up front! I started asking questions and the car got covered back up lol.

I can say it's a completely different car from and EXO and a Wraith from what I could see, trailing arm rear suspension, new injection molded cage and the IFS looked different than the EXO. Kind of hard to see in low light and with those big 2.2 BFGs on it!
Old 06-17-2014, 04:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

The Yeti looks like a winner.
Anyone want a NIB Exo Terror ?

Last edited by asc6000; 06-18-2014 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Yeti
Old 06-17-2014, 05:22 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

How much? PM!
Old 06-17-2014, 09:26 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Much like everyone else, I'm interested to see more detailed pics.
Looking forward to Axial's video for this, too.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by metalnut View Post
I'm definitely waiting for a kit, I'm sure it'll follow soon
I think you might be waiting for a long time. Axial hasn't released a new kit since the SCX10 G6 kit. Everything since then has been an RTR. I think Axial is going the way of Losi, Traxxas, etc and only selling RTRs. I hope I'm wrong.

I've been thinking about this truck and Axial is announcing it and releasing it in an odd way. They've either become so cocky that they think our fans will drink our Kool-Aid and preorder this thing without any details. OR they are not confident in this machine and they are thinking hopefully people preorder this machine before they find out the real details. They're withholding information for some reason. Maybe it's just to generate hype? It's just odd.

I still personally want one, but I don't see myself buying one anytime soon.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.