Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Colorado Racing
5280 Raceway - Colorado On Road RC Club (CORRC) >

5280 Raceway - Colorado On Road RC Club (CORRC)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

5280 Raceway - Colorado On Road RC Club (CORRC)

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 03:16 PM
S&B
Tech Adept

I'm not a fan of dots, but would be willing to give them a try considering the low cost.

They appear to be lower profile than the ones that I have done redneck jumping with...
Old 01-03-2012, 03:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm gonna hit dots just as much as boards, so it doesn't really matter to me. Dots look cooler though, but I imagine they also may move more. What ever causes the least damage to the vehicular transport.

We could just throw a bunch of pillows down and tape the edges like Brent wants
Old 01-03-2012, 05:07 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Might wanna tape some pillows to the wall while you're at it.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

You would think with all the engineers we have at the club change and experimentation would be welcomed.

Lets hold a vote this Sunday to run the next layout with new a barrier system that is dirt cheap.

Let's all meditate for a moment to open our mind.... UUUUUUMMMMMMM.... UUUMMMMMMMMM...... UUUUUMMMMMMMM.....
Old 01-03-2012, 05:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Has there been a rash of broken cars or something? Or are people just wanting to change for the sake of change?

For what it is worth, I'm not a fan of dots, they tend to be launching pads when you hit them and send your car into unforseen areas. They also move around a bit during a race.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:07 PM
S&B
Tech Adept

Mario - I want to order the CRC tire truer adapter. Do you have any orders going in soon? If not,do you want me to get anything for you on my order (if anyone else needs to order something let me know).

Scott
Old 01-03-2012, 06:20 PM
Tech Lord

I don't have a strong opinion either way about dots, but here's what someone that races on the track in the pictures had to say about them:
We use square PVC downspout with most joints being slip-on using wood blocks that fit inside the pipe. We have a few custom corners with different angles, but our latest layout uses lots of Losi track dots (I haven't personally seen it yet). They are small and low-profile, so hitting them will unsettle the car and spoil your line, but it won't launch you into the air or cause a huge crash. They're fast to throw down / take up for our temporary track. Most importantly, using the dots moves the apexes away from the pipes, so you get unsettled from dots long before you tap a hard apex when you're pushing hard and cutting things close.
Some of our angles are pretty harsh with our current board system. I notice it mostly sweeper on (long sweeper) or when we've got a fast 90 degree turn where you end up taking it diagonally. If we could reduce that, either with different boards or dots, I don't think it would be a bad thing. Otherwise, the track seems pretty car friendly to me.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:34 PM
Tech Lord

I drew some arrows on the picture of their track showing what I mean. If that was one of our layouts, that's the kind of place I'd like to see more angle on the boards or dots. The rest of them seem kind of like overkill, but I haven't driven on that track yet. Maybe soon.
Attached Thumbnails 5280 Raceway - Colorado On Road RC Club (CORRC)-pc310092.jpeg  
Old 01-03-2012, 07:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Are you guys serious do you how many people will be cutting corners if we do that. Also it seems the guys who beak the least out of anyone are the only ones in favor of the dots. Except for Brent cause he will break no matter what we use
Old 01-03-2012, 07:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

well, I can see everyone is pretty opposed to dots and that is fine...I guess. Seems so easy to dismiss something that so few people have experienced here locally. If people like the sharp corners created by the wood corners I would suggest people get together and create some new ones. They are getting pretty tore up and need to be replaced. Also the club needs new (T's and 45's) angles and pipe connectors, down spout, and plastic as well. I thought the dots would be a good alternative to most of these costs, but I can see only a few of us think it is a good idea. A nice graceful sweeper without such a sharp angle will reduce the cars flying into the wall and that would be nice to have as well.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:44 PM
Tech Elite

I hate dots and I'm not afraid to say it. They launch cars and they move around. A lot. Especially with racers who are, let's just say, not pros. Sweeper off is the absolute worst place for them to be. If you hot them sweeper off your car will not be on the ground long enough for a course correction or braking. Picture your car airborn, at full speed sweeper off and hitting either the outer barrier or the wall. I know this happens now as well, but I would rather be on the ground.

The dots moving and disrupting the flow of the race make them unbearable to me. Screwing them down is not an option. Tapeing things to the track has also proven to be very distructive to the carpet as well. It just seems to me that this dot thing goes along with the pussification of world these days. If you short corners, and hit walls, you deserve what you get. I hit just as much stuff as anyone (besides Brent) and i know that my car has never broke just going down the straight, or on a perfect lap. If you short a corner in a close race and loose only one spot or none because there are no negative consequences, then you are not as good as you think you are, and you will not get any better.

Show me a national level race that uses dots here in the US. We strive to be a national level track, but I feel this is a step in the wrong direction. And if you think that the dots look cool, that is fine, you are entitled to your opinion. My opinion is that they look like you are trying to make a "trainer" track for people who are afraid run on a real track. I can, however see the appeal for quick setup and tear down, and for not going through the bs we do with building corners.

I am totally 100% open for. New ideas on how to improve our system, and am not afraid to try different things, but we have run on dots before and they suck. Is it just "our" dots.......... could be. But the first one that moves and ruins someone's tq run, they are not worth any amount of parts saved (if any).

Much like how people just change the layout now to make it better for them, and dont get me wrong, the new layout is easier, don't be surprised if they just disappear if some body does not like them. And that is not a shot at anyone, just a statement.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:00 PM
Tech Master

Have you guys tried taking one of the downspout pieces and cutting chunks out of it to make them flexible? This way you could bend them to shape in the corners.

Something like this.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:02 PM
Tech Lord

I expect to see 30 WGT cars out on Thursday to prepare the groove for my glory.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:14 PM
Tech Elite

FYI, i just ordered 2" square (0.070" side wall) vinyl downspout for the ePlex from Lowe's. Got it for a good price, $53 6-10' sticks ($8.83/stick). The commercial sales guy at the FC store was quite cool and gave me a discount. It will be here in about 2 weeks. If the Club would like some new tubing let me know asap, I'll tack it onto the ePlex order so we get it at the same price. We have to buy in 6 stick bundles.

I don't mind fronting the money but I can't afford to be the sole contributor.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:15 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by syndr0me
I expect to see 30 WGT cars out on Thursday to prepare the groove for my glory.
Why don't you buy one and join the traction laying fun.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.