Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Colorado Racing
5280 Raceway - Colorado On Road RC Club (CORRC) >

5280 Raceway - Colorado On Road RC Club (CORRC)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

5280 Raceway - Colorado On Road RC Club (CORRC)

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 05:21 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Did anybody else catch the story just now on 9 News about the indoor velodrome in Boulder? It was built for bicycle racing but how cool would it be to put on a race on a velodrome? I'm not a fan of oval racing in general but have always been intrigued by velodrome racing.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Steve Rossi
bro is that all you got?
I got something for you...10.1s in rubber tire!

You got that too?
Old 01-03-2009, 07:12 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by artwork
I got something for you...10.1s in rubber tire!

You got that too?
OOOOOOOHHHHHHHH SNAP!
Old 01-03-2009, 08:33 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Tough Competition....

The competition is tough in rubber tire touring. Art is definitely getting faster, and 10.1's are a reality. We're all going to have to step up our speed to keep up. "This is the Fun Stuff"~

Hey Steve, I've worn out all my rubber tires trying to keep up with everyone, and wanted to know if you could bring a couple of sets of Jaco Blues to the Track on Sunday? I'd appreciate it.

Looking forward to Sunday,
Eric
Old 01-03-2009, 09:57 AM
Tech Adept

show me------------10.1's in racing ....I'll wait..........
Old 01-03-2009, 02:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DPowell
Did anybody else catch the story just now on 9 News about the indoor velodrome in Boulder? It was built for bicycle racing but how cool would it be to put on a race on a velodrome? I'm not a fan of oval racing in general but have always been intrigued by velodrome racing.
Yep I saw the news cast. I might talk to a few of the guys from CA about what they run and how they convinced the bike people to let them give it a try.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Indianapolis has a velo track that they run at. The really fun class is the insane speed run in which there is no battery or motor limit and people build special cars just for it. Nothing like the sound of splintering carbon fiber when they go out of control and hit the wall. I think they have a website for it but I dont remember for sure.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Steve Rossi
show me------------10.1's in racing ....I'll wait..........
Not gonna happen in a race just yet...but they are fun to get in practice

Still fighting my car I am really interested to see how it works on a race day.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:34 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

if art is turning 10.1's, then its time to change the track.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by The Rev
if art is turning 10.1's, then its time to change the track.
lol
Old 01-05-2009, 03:42 PM
Tech Elite

Great day of racing. looks like 30 hours of track time over the weekend payed off. looking forward to hitting it again tomarrow. se you all there.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by al dente
Great day of racing. looks like 30 hours of track time over the weekend payed off. looking forward to hitting it again tomarrow. se you all there.
I looked like I could use 30 hours ..... but in the end it would not help .... but I'm going to try late afternoon and evening!!!
Old 01-05-2009, 07:41 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Well, I picked up a Xray today and want to come play with you guys. What do I need to bring with me and who do I see about joining the club?
Old 01-05-2009, 09:20 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Jeff D
Well, I picked up a Xray today and want to come play with you guys. What do I need to bring with me and who do I see about joining the club?
Hey Jeff, welcome to the on-road side. There's some info about membership prices, and the cost of racing on our site on the about page. http://corrc.org/about/. Basically, it's $50/year to get a reduced cost on racing and practice, and to be able to vote and help shape the direction of the club.

I assume you picked up an XRay sedan? If so, the most popular class these days is rubber tire sedan. We run on a spec tire that lasts quite a while (aside from the occasional tear), so that's helped its popularity quite a bit. The spec tire we're using is the Jaco Blue (on prism wheels). I'd suggest having two sets in your bag, as while they last quite a long while, they're not completely indestructible.

As for motors, we're a little bit split at the moment. The fastest, most popular class is 13.5, but that ends up being quite a challenge, 'cause you can put every bit of that power down. A number of guys have been giving 17.5 a try, and it seems to be catching on as well. If it's been a while since you've done on-road, or you're new to it, I'd definitely suggest a 17.5. It's not a whole lot slower overall, but a lot more drivable. Even guys with a lot of experience find they're sometimes faster with the 17.5 simply because it's so much easier. Of course, it's fine to get a 13.5 as well, that's entirely your choice. On nights where there's not enough guys to make two classes, we'll probably just throw them in together. You might see that on Thursday, but Sundays are generally quite busy, and have enough folks to do both.

For a body, I'd suggest a Protoform Mazda 6. It's not the most aggressive handling body, but it's the most stable, and a great place to start. As you get more comfortable, you can move to a Speed 6, or even an R9-R if you like a very aggressive car.

Any hard-cased ROAR approved LiPo battery is fine.

The only allowed traction compound is Jack The Gripper. I believe the club still has some bottles for sale, so you can likely grab that at the track.

XRay's site has a ton of great setups. I'd find one for your car that's intended for rubber tire on high traction carpet to get in the ballpark. There's a number of guys at CORRC that are XRay team drivers, so they'll be able to help you out as well. See you at the track!
Old 01-05-2009, 10:13 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Adam?
There's a number of guys at CORRC that are XRay team drivers
I'm a XRay team derider. Here's a setup tip...BUY A TC5!!

Seriously though, I just spent the better part of a week racing with the Denver crew and had more fun than I've had in a long time. You're lucky you live there and can take advantage of the resource. Spend the dough and become a member, you'll support the cause and have a great time doing it.

Happy New Year to the CORRC posse (Mark, Doug, Art, Mike, Rev, Keith, Chris, and everybody else). Oh, and Mario, the RC Super Hero!!

Last edited by Scottrik; 01-06-2009 at 06:06 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.