Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Colorado Racing
5280 Raceway - Colorado On Road RC Club (CORRC) >

5280 Raceway - Colorado On Road RC Club (CORRC)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

5280 Raceway - Colorado On Road RC Club (CORRC)

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 09:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Track is open for practice. If you don't have anything better to do come out and make some laps.
Old 12-06-2014, 08:41 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I spent some time today freshening up the milehighindoorchamps.com site. Nothing major, just a fresh coat of paint.

I also added support (finally) for adding a different transponder for each class, and made the signup page even nicer looking. If people give us their transponder numbers, I'll put their names in the database so they show up correctly on the practice page.

We just need to pick a date and time to open signups and we're ready to go.

Old 12-06-2014, 10:45 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Thumbs up

that looks real nice.......
Old 12-08-2014, 03:05 PM
Tech Elite

this forum has been a snoozer lately. where is everyone? lets get some talk going on here about racing. would you guys be interested in doing some series races this winter? f1 and tc have been very popular lately, lets set up a 6 race series for cash or something.
Old 12-08-2014, 04:09 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I have been wanting to get my F1 car back out there now that it is fixed.

Is racing back to Tuesday nights, or what now?
Old 12-08-2014, 06:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I might be in for f1 series, depends on my job there is talk about me being sent back to nights working weekends ( that sucks) I will know after the holidays
Old 12-08-2014, 10:55 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

If racing gets changed to tues, That would be a Wren and Stimpy
moment here!!
Old 12-09-2014, 06:38 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by justinco
I have been wanting to get my F1 car back out there now that it is fixed.

Is racing back to Tuesday nights, or what now?
F1 does have some momemtum going at the moment - it would be great to see you out at the track!

I got into on-road this past February with an F104v2, and I found your youtube videos very helpful while I was building and setting it up, so thanks for posting those!

Racing is currently on Thursday nights and Sunday - I am there on most Thursdays and an occasional Sunday. If you want to come down this Thursday I can help you with your set up.

You mentioned you just got your car fixed.... if you are interested I have my F104V2 roller for sale with some upgrades and spares for just $80. This would give you spares for virtually everything - including the aluminum motor mount.
Old 12-09-2014, 07:23 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by al dente
this forum has been a snoozer lately. where is everyone? lets get some talk going on here about racing. would you guys be interested in doing some series races this winter? f1 and tc have been very popular lately, lets set up a 6 race series for cash or something.
It was my enthusiasm for 1:1 F1 that drew me to the on-road aspect of this hobby, so I would love to see an F1 series.

I've never run in an RC series, so I don't know what generally works best as far as format and points etc., but I think it would be fun to mimic 1:1 F1 format as far as points awarded (eg. 1st - 25 points, 2nd - 18 points, etc.), and maybe even qualifying.

The UF1 series does a 3 minute qaulifying session where the drivers top 5 fastest laps are averaged to produce a qualifying time to set the grid. Then they run multiple mains. They also run longer mains which include simulated "pit stops" - where you pull in for 3 seconds.

I'm not saying this is what we do - just throwing out some ideas.......I would be happy to volunteer alongside a more senior club member to work on setting up/managing an F1 series.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:55 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by IlikeF1
F1 does have some momemtum going at the moment - it would be great to see you out at the track!

I got into on-road this past February with an F104v2, and I found your youtube videos very helpful while I was building and setting it up, so thanks for posting those!

Racing is currently on Thursday nights and Sunday - I am there on most Thursdays and an occasional Sunday. If you want to come down this Thursday I can help you with your set up.

You mentioned you just got your car fixed.... if you are interested I have my F104V2 roller for sale with some upgrades and spares for just $80. This would give you spares for virtually everything - including the aluminum motor mount.
Ahh very cool, glad the videos helped! I have a couple videos with some epic crashes at the track, pretty funny

I'm good on spare parts and the car setup, some of the guys helped me with it back when I started driving the F1 car. Been a while since I've been there with a busy summer though (real car racing takes priority ).

Can't make it this week, maybe Sunday, but next week is more likely.
Old 12-10-2014, 09:26 AM

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

So yesterday I did some laps at a local club track in Madison, WI.

Their track is f'n massive. 72ft deep, and 120ft wide or so. Very narrow and technical sections. The track itself was impressive on size, but the tape and some bumps, and the new layout made it drifting with the AMTX.

(ignore the broken photo stitch toward the bottom, it was hard to get the entire track on camera)

The most interesting part of my visit was talking to folks about their GT12 class they are running. A very inexpensive, foam tire (with no truing), bomb proof car, spec class. I know 5280 has generally shied away from "funster" classes, but these cars were fantastic to see run. And the cost was super cheap. Anyone with any 1/12 electronics on the shelf can run this for what amounts to a rounding error in modern RC spending.

What the car looks like bare (someones spare chassis)

Facts I got from the class:
  • 1S Battery, 13.5 Motor class, RWD.
  • Using UK GT12 rules - the chassis are cost fixed, 99 Brit Pounds, or $130US.
  • No hop ups needed or really available. (although Brent's car would need to be teched every run...)
  • No one at that track has yet to break a part.
  • Foam tires that you can run from new and down to the plastic without truing, and chunks don't matter much.
  • Bodies that look pretty fantastic
  • And the foam tires are spec, natural rubber, and seem to do the work the WGTs did to clean up the line.
  • Laptimes with these cars were right around where I was able to muscle my 17.5 AMTX around the long twisty tracks. Fast lap on this layout is something like a 21 second lap. That's how long the track is. Super fun to drive on

Tires new:

How far you can run the foam tires down before they need to be replaced:

After seeing the super low cost, and durability, and lack of truing for the foam tires... I could be game to get one of these as I already have all the gear for a 1/12 to throw in.

This class looked potentially fun, cheap, durable, and easy to drive... I realize we all love spending thousands on toy cars and all, but not having too would be a neat concept.

As a bonus, for the first time in a while I saw someone cutting a comm and replacing brushes for a motor - Whens the last time you saw someone bust out a Cobra Comm Lathe?

Last edited by Clegg; 12-10-2014 at 01:22 PM.
Old 12-10-2014, 10:22 AM
Tech Addict

Looks like fun, the looks of those cars reminds me of my old RC12L from back in the day.

Anymore photos of the cars with bodies on them? You basically just need the 1/12th scale pan car chasses under $130, and electronics?
Old 12-10-2014, 11:17 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I had no idea there was a track that big in the US!
Old 12-10-2014, 01:16 PM

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

There are 2 or 3 chassis for the GT12 class, and Protoform makes a body now for them.

The Protoform Body: http://racepf.com/on-road-1-10-1-12/pfm-12-clear-body/

As far as Chassis go, these aren't normal pan car chassis, these are specialized, and made just for this class. This is also what makes them so bomb proof. They are brutally simple, but seem to work pretty good. Also If you notice, there are no shocks to setup, just one dampening tube and some springs on the front and rear.

Schumacher Supastox GT seem to be the one everyone was running in Madison: http://www.racing-cars.com/pp/Car_Sh...paStox_GT.html

Mardaves also makes one : http://www.mardave.co.uk/

The BRCA GT 12 rules spec in the UK that none of the kits can cost more than 100 Brit #.
Old 12-10-2014, 09:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Joe, did you get a vibe on who is running these - RC veterans, beginners, funsters, etc.? Are there people running these that otherwise would not be racing at all?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.