Search

03 Western Canadian Off Road Championships

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2002, 08:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default Alright!

Well, it seems the concensus is the qualifiers stay at 5 minutes. That is absolutely no problem with me either. As to teching, I agree to have teching open to all racers during qualifying (in case there is some suspicion of enhancing your chances of winning)..... and after the Mains are done the top 3 casually inspected ( including the mains for bump ups in gas classes) for throttle return springs and weird stuff like filerts ( Chris, I hear they are a super tuning device...hehe).

Old 10-17-2002, 07:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

He he he - Filerts, ...

Well yesterday was a really crappy day for me on so many levels.

On the R/C level I just want to give some wisdom about throttle return springs (TRS) and throttle servos... go buy a throttle servo that your spring can retun if you lose battery. The new JR digitals have huge torque/speed and can easily be returned when there is no power... Airtronics, HiTec, Futaba for the most part cannot... Not that I'm saying none of them can... but I know for a fact the new JR's are great for this.

Here is my story - back straight of the Edmonton on-road track in my 1/8 scale yesterday... the car was totally awesome... just as it shifts into second (40 Mph) the black battery wire breaks... failsafe = no effect (there is no power) ... TRS cannot pull the Airtronics 357 servo back... 60 Mph - 65 Mph - Solid Boards - explosion of board splinters - sickening crunch as car head ons steel pole behind the boards... car flips and revs to the moon - smoke everywhere.

I run faster than I have since I was about 15 from the drivers stand. I saved the engine (just - it sounded like 80,000 RPM...) Holy damage!!!

I run an SMP Slide on-road ... a VERY expensive car made entirely of Aluminum... I have a pile of about $600 of destroyed parts. Bent 6mm chassis!, broken aluminum bulkheads, broken carbon-kevlar radio tray - 4 pieces of what used to be a 94357 steering servo... 2 destroyed almost new rear tires (they burnt themselves off against the chainlink before I could get there - hence the smoke.) ... ouch! ... and more (many, many bent screws)

Wicked cool looking hit (bit pricey - would have been more fun if it had at least been on video)... and the sad part ... just the day before I was thinking to myself that I should put in a Servo that could be pulled back to neutral if the power should ever fail ... and it was sitting in my pit box ... D'Oh!!!!

So - just a good example of why a failsafe and TRS by themselves won't necessarily save you on a runaway. Also - can you imagine if it had been a race day and a 7.5 lb car had hit a marshal at 65 Mph ... foot = gone.
Old 10-17-2002, 11:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

What model number is the servo so I may order one or two in?
Old 10-17-2002, 06:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

Inferno: JR Digital 8411 and Digital 8417 the 8411 is high-torque. There is also the 8550 which is a high torque specific for cars. Its a great servo but hard to get... all are metal gears with a 3yr guarantee!

Info and specs can be found at Horizon Hobby http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/jr.asp
Old 10-17-2002, 07:40 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Chris, sorry to hear about your misfortunate day

You have any good pics for us?
Old 10-17-2002, 07:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

Dennis - I'll take some pics of the parts... do you know anyone with a press ? I'm thinking maybe the chassis could be pressed flat just to keep as a backup.

Chris.
Old 10-17-2002, 08:29 PM
Tech Regular

You might want to give it to Jordans Dad, he'll have the tools at his work.
Old 10-19-2002, 12:39 AM
Tech Master

Chris:

OOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

@#%$^#$^$%&%^*&^*(^(

I feel !
Old 10-19-2002, 10:36 PM
Company Representative

So far everything I've read looks real good. I'll try to get some input from the Calgary Club to see if they have any particular requests or If they want to have a specific contact person for this. TTYL.

Gary
Old 10-20-2002, 10:27 AM
JD
Tech Regular

chris ill try to get the chasis flatened back to normal ill give it to my dad next time he goes to cal0gary
Old 10-21-2002, 07:32 AM
Tech Master

Default Alta Race Dates!

Any of you Alta clubs got dates in mind yet for next season? I have talked to a few people that want to put their holiday requests in.

thanks....
Old 10-22-2002, 01:12 AM
Tech Regular

Well, I might as well put in our offer for the July long weekend. This kinda goes inconjunction with the BC schedule to get some of them down. If possible this is when we would like to have our leg of the tri cities/ points race.
I realize long weekends aren't always the best but in this case it would work out pretty good. Gary? Chris? Daryl? Dennis?
Old 10-23-2002, 08:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Points series... dates

Delmo it's good to set a date... but...

Clubs PLEASE keep in mind that long weekends are bad for a lot of people. At this point if either Edmonton or Calgary has either of their races on a long weekend then I am out of the series... I can only go to 1 long weekend race (Kelowna) - and I'm not the only one (if it was only me then it wouldn't matter.) Please try to make things family friendly... Long weekends = very bad for those of us with family commitments. It would be good to have at least 3 races not on long weekends... I know there are also people who can only go to long weekend races... there are now 4 races for them to go to.

So far ALL the races are on long weekends! So to go to your 3 races you have to give up 3 family holidays... 1 most people can swing ... maybe even 2 if they beg ... but 3 no way - and 3 is what you need to be in the series.

If I am out I'll still do the points and rule book (which is 1/3 done ... )

My 2c is to say that at least 2 of the 5 non-final races have to be on non-holiday weekends to accomodate the most racers. I think it makes sense to always have the final on the September long weekend. First come first served for races dates (i.e. that would mean the Edmonton and Calgary legs - assuming they happen - would have to be on regular weekends this year since all the long weekends are taken...)

Maybe I'm just blowing smoke because this effects me... but maybe I'm not... does anyone else care about races being on long weekends?
Old 10-23-2002, 12:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

In B.C. it is needed for long weekends to race because of the travelling distance between tracks.If we were closer together then it would not matter too much but in Alta. the tracks are fairly close driving distance apart and LW's are not needed to have good turnouts.
Old 10-23-2002, 03:06 PM
Tech Regular

I totally see your point Chris, the main reason I choose that weekend is because it was requested by some BC members so they could plan an interprovincial points race mid season. Because they have to travel so far I thought we could slide one tri cities on a long weekend, but if it will effect our own Alta turnout then I am more than willing to try something different.

It would be nice to see guys from other provinces more than just once per season. Unfortunatley if we don't host one on a long weekend then chances are they won't come. But hey...babysteps.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.