Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Canadian R/C Scene
K.R.C.R. Kawartha Radio Controlled Racers >

K.R.C.R. Kawartha Radio Controlled Racers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

K.R.C.R. Kawartha Radio Controlled Racers

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average.

Old 11-25-2010, 12:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default K.R.C.R. Kawartha Radio Controlled Racers

August & September Schedule

August 23rd
September 1st, 15th, 20th

Classes @ K.R.C.R:

Mini Mod
TC 17.5T
Canadian Vintage TransAM
GT2
SCAR/TransAm/World GT CHALLENGE
1/12th Stock 17.5T

Track Location: Douro Community Centre (Arena)
2893 Hwy 28, Peterborough, Ontario, K0L 1S0

Main Forum: http://extremercforum.com

Contact Email: [email protected]

Last edited by BrodieMan; 08-20-2011 at 11:21 PM.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

Have had emails trickling in from my ad on Kijiji so it looks really promising that we can get some racing organized for 2011. Don't be shy, post your thoughts, opinions, introduce yourself

For those of you that can't wait for next year I do commute to Barrie on as many fridays as I can to race at the club there. It's a two hour drive each way so some people to share the cost of gas would be nice Check out the thread under Ideal Hobbies Indoor Onroad on RCTECH or on www.offroadrc.ca under Ontario Clubs/Barrie Bashers/Indoor Racing this winter

Also for those looking for some offroad racing this winter, Motor City Raceway is opening up in a couple of weeks. Indoor off-road on carpet, UK style. Check out the thread on www.offroadrc.ca under Ontario Clubs/Motor City Raceway. I will also be frequenting this club as well so let's get our carpool on.

Cheers
Mark AKA BrodieMan
Old 11-29-2010, 03:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It nice to see someone trying to start another rc club in this province, but one closer to or preferably in Toronto is what I'm hoping for. It's the largest city in the country and there is nowhere to race on-road in the winter without driving an hour or 2. Sad.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default K.R.C.R. Kawartha Radio Controlled Racers

Sweet, more responses from my Kijiji ad but everyone is too shy to post here

Thought I would give my 2 cents on what classes and cars that new racers might be interested in. The first season would be a GT Point Series and depending on the number of racers, broken up into categories. Most likely it will be divided into novice and advanced. This club is not for sure going to happen yet but it's looking really promising with the responses I am getting so don't go out and buy a new car yet. Wait and see what others are interested in, what you think is cool and also remember that obscure brands like Schumacher will need to be ordered from online shops and shipping charges will be a nuisance. Lakefield Hobby and Game deals with Horizon Hobbies www.horizonhobby.com
Support your local hobby shop

Car Classes

Touring Car: The most popular class of 1/10th scale on-road car. 4wd, fast, easy to drive but can get a bit pricey for competition level cars. This class would be an open class meaning no restrictions on motors.

RCGT: On a resurgence in popularity, this class is where I would love to see this club focus on. Much cheaper than Touring Cars and just as, if not faster than their 4wd cousin these cars are very simple and more focus is on stock racing and realistic bodies. Their would be motor restrictions for this class to keep the racing close and competitive.

Mini: Great class for beginners these cars are affordable and can be modified immensly. Don't be fooled by their size, these little cars can really rip with Brushless setups. This class is more about having a good time than competitive racing. A great way to get into the hobby and have some fun.

Formula One: Another class exploding in popularity. These cars are very affordable and simple. The focus is on stock racing and realistic bodies. There would be motor restrictions for this class and because they are open wheeled cars, they would probably run separately than the other classes.

Off Road: Any electric car will be welcome and 2 wheel-drive Short Course Trucks are a common class at on-road tracks. Maybe we can even make a special jump section just for the off-roaders.

Entry Level
HPI Sprint2: 4WD Touring Car. Fantastic Beginner Car. My recommendation to anyone new to RC.
Ready To Run about $215

HPI Cup Racer: Slightly smaller car than a regular 1/10 scale Touring Car but a very fun entry level car that is all about realistic looks.
Rolling Chassis about $230

Tamiya M-05 Mini: Awesome mini 1/10 scale, about the same size as a Cup Racer. Has a ton of upgradable parts and is a very popular class. Get's my thumbs up.
Rolling Chasis about $150

OFNA JL 10e GT: 4WD Touring Car. Don't know much about it but OFNA is a reputable company and it's priced right.
Rolling Chassis about $150

Intermediate Level
Tamiya FF-03 Pro: Front-Wheel-Drive Touring Car. A unique new car that's getting great reviews. The price is very good as well.
Rolling Chassis about $250

Tamiya TA05: 4WD Touring Car. Very popular, durable chassis with lots of aftermarket hop up parts. Very competitive for the price.
Rolling Chassis about $250

HPI Formula Ten: F1 Car. The F1 class has become hugely popular and the HPI is fantastic, cheap, tons of upgrades. I have one that I am selling.
Rolling Chassis about $145

CRC GX10 LE: 2WD GT Car. This is an extremely popular car for the GT class. I will most likely be getting one next year
Rolling Chassis about $280

Last edited by charlie_b; 12-23-2010 at 04:03 AM.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:27 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Been looking for a club to race with for a while:)

Finally it looks like we might get a club going for the summer. i know that winter is just starting but this gives us something to look forward to. Ive been running nitro monster trucks for years but have been thinking about getting an on road racer. What do you guys think about the new Traxxas Rally cars. I have a 1/16 e-revo and the thing is amazing. the thing does 50mph so I know electric cars can haul ass. I also have a traxxas Slash with a sidewinder set up and the thing is insane. Lets get racing.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Hi Duane,
Since you have experience with RC, and you have electronics & brushless setup you could get a used on-road car from the buy/sell thread and have a top notch competition car for very cheap. Or you could get a CRC GX10 competition GT chassis for the same price as the VXL Rally. I run a Losi JRX-S Type R, which is an amazing car. It has just been discontinued but parts will be available for a long time. Leading Edge in Kingston had a few left for $225 (MSRP was $580). Losi is owned by Horizon which is the distributer that Lakefield Hobby & Games deals with so getting parts is no problem. If Mini interests you check out the Tamiya M05, it's hugely popular with tons of aftermarket hop up parts and LH&G can get parts for it as well. It's always a good idea to go with a brand that your local hobby shop carries or else you will have to order parts yourself and pay shipping and brokerage fees if it's from the states, plus wait for it to arrive. I did this when I lived in Whistler and it sucked.

Dec 11th I will be heading to Oshawa for the first practice night at the new Motor City Speedway indoor off road track. Dust off the Slash and come down.

Check out this link. It will get you stoked.
http://www.rcracing.tv/
Old 12-07-2010, 09:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

Going to Motor City Raceway on December 18th for the first practice day. I can take three people with me.

Have had a few more people respond to the Kijiji ad so I am stepping up a notch in planning and starting to put together proposals for use of land for a track. Home Depot sponsors two on-road parking lot tracks in Ontario, in London & Toronto so I am going to be looking into this in January. I am also going to be submitting a proposal to the Agricultural Society in Lakefield to see about getting a track at the Lakefield Fairgrounds. This would be for electric cars on a grass track with dirt jump sections, UK style. If we can get an off-road track going the fee's will have to be higher than for on-road as off-road tracks cost a lot more to build & maintain.

For example:
Membership Fee: per season $50 (This will help to pay for clay, barriers, drivers stand, timing system etc.)
Race Fee with membership: $5 per class or $10 unlimited classes
Race Fee without membership: $10 per class or $20 unlimited classes
Practice Day Fee: Free with membership, $5 for non-members

For On-Road:
Membership Fee: $0 for next summer, if we can get an indoor track for 2011 winter than $50 for season to pay for carpet, barriers, rent etc.
Summer Race Fee: $5 per class
Summer Practice Day Fee (if we can have one): $5
Winter Race Fee: with membership $5 per class, $10 unlimited classes
: without membership $10 per class, $20 unlimited classes
Winter Practice Day Fee (unlikely we could have a practice day): $5 with membership & $10 without membership

Let's hear your ideas, suggestions, introduce yourself. I know your out there and I will need to prove interest in the club to get possible sponsorships and land use agreements so get your post on.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:24 AM
Tech Rookie

This sounds like a good idea Mark, Keep us posted on info!!
Old 12-12-2010, 11:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year

With my new job and the holidays coming up I won't be getting much done in regards to the club so there won't be any news until the New Year. Just wanted to say thanks for all the responses to my ad & looking forward to a fun summer of racing in 2011

I will be upgrading my gear this winter so I will be selling these items sometime in the near future:

Novak GTB Electronic Speed Controller with Novak 6.5 Brusless Motor
Spektrum DX3.0 Transmitter with Two Servos & One receiver
HPI Forumula Ten F1 Car
Team Integy AC/DC LiPo charger
Old 12-13-2010, 02:54 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hi, checking in from Peterborough.

Idea for location

peterborough armouries. They let the plane guys use the drill hall in the winter for flying. Maybe with the right tires they would let us use it as well. It just sits there empty every night and day, basically. If not, there are a few concrete outdoor rinks around that we could possibly set up a track on during the summer. The other option is talking to the Peterborough examiner. They have a huge parking lot out back.

I sure hope we can get this going. Depending on when you are selling your dx3, i may be interested.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks for the location ideas. I had thought about the armouries as they have loads of space, would be perfect for a carpet track plus all the rooms to use as pit space. If I recall correctly from my Army Cadet days, the floor is extremely smooth sealed concrete which is difficult to get good traction on. I will definitely look into it though and maybe I can do some testing to try out some different tires. I have heard about 'capping' foam tires with urethane, roller blade wheel stuff, and that would work awesome on that floor. An indoor venue would be ideal so we can run no matter what the weather year round.
Cheers
Mark
Old 12-14-2010, 10:40 AM
Tech Initiate

Thumbs up I'm up for this!

Hi,

I'm in Barrie and would be willing to drive to peterborough to race for sure. I'm hoping to get that HPI sprint 2 drift 2010 camaro for christmas!!! Is there some kind of a list for race tracks in the toronto area?
Thanks rctori
Old 12-14-2010, 02:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Currently I drive to barrie from Peterborough to race

Check out www.offroadrc.ca and under the Ontario Clubs you will find Barrie Bashers or here on RCTECH under Ideal Hobbies Indoor On-Road. Indoor on-road, good little club with lots of newbies running Sprint2's. The guys are trying to talk Andy (organizer) into starting a summer track for 2011.

In Newmarket check out NRCC (Zoom Room) they should be starting the winter season about now, it's indoor carpet onroad.

In the summer FastCats races at their Home Depot Track.

If you are in ever in Kingston check out Leading Edge Raceway, indoor carpet on-road.

In London their is Lou's Speedway, indoor carpet on-road

For winter off-road, Motor City Raceway in Oshawa opens on Saturday for indoor carpet off-road.

The Barn Yard near Stratford is open for dirt indoor off-road.

Also there is a track in St. Catherines but I don't know the name of it.

Their is another indoor off-road track opening in Mississagua but I don't know the name of it.

Their are a few summer off-road tracks around Barrie, you can find them on www.offroadrc.ca
Old 12-14-2010, 04:26 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by rctori
Hi,

I'm in Barrie and would be willing to drive to peterborough to race for sure. I'm hoping to get that HPI sprint 2 drift 2010 camaro for christmas!!! Is there some kind of a list for race tracks in the toronto area?
Thanks rctori
I was looking at a the sprint 2 flux. Seems like a decent set up. especially for indoor. Outdoor maybe not as much.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Energyrc

Just my two cents on the Flux 2

The HPI Sprint2 cars are fantastic beginner cars, extremely popular, very durable and you can't beat the price. I would not recommend the Flux series because the HPI brushless electronics are rubbish. I have seen enough of them fail at the track, some of them brand new. Every one with the Flux series wanted to upgrade two minutes after being at the track anyway so IMO it's just a waste of money. Save the $130, have some fun with the Sprint2 and after a while when you want to upgrade you will have a better idea of what the good brands are and whats worth putting that $130 into. My advice for upgrading from a Ready To Run car would be in this order:

Brushless System such as Novak, Castle Creations, Speed Passion, Tekin etc
LiPo Batteries & Charger: Thunder Power, Max Amps, Orion Chargers
Transmitter: Spektrum hands down best value 2.4GHz transmitters.
After all that: New Chassis

If you treat your gear properly and buy from reputable companies you will end up saving a lot of money. I have been using my Novak GTB/Velociti brushless system, Orion LiPo batteries, Spektrum DSX3.0 Transmitter for 4 years now!!! Try not to get bite by the "I NEED the best of everything" bug, it will drain your wallet quick in this hobby.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.