Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Canadian R/C Scene
K.R.C.R. Kawartha Radio Controlled Racers >

K.R.C.R. Kawartha Radio Controlled Racers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

K.R.C.R. Kawartha Radio Controlled Racers

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average.

Old 12-14-2010, 06:25 PM
Tech Apprentice

Good to Know! I was only looking at it. But was probably not going to get it anyway, because apparently rocks and sand get in the drive belts because they are completely exposed.

Because i wont be a serious racer, i was thinking about the traxxas rally. I could run it during the winter and rain as it is waterproof, i could run it indoor, outdoor on pavement, on the dirt roads near my house, Small spaces.......... Lots of ways to use it. Plus traxxas has a great name and people in general really like there 1/16 brushless system.

Maybe we could have a "4 Fun class", any car or setup welcome. Basically a class for us non-serious racers and those who are beginning.

I will only buy one if the club gets going, but i really hope it does!
Old 12-14-2010, 07:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

It's definitely not going to be a serious race club right away. First season would be "run what you brung" type of racing (with the exception of nitro). The HPI E10 is shaft driven and more of a parking lot basher. Most 'race' oriented chassis, even entry level, are not meant to be run on unprepared surfaces as rocks and dirt with get into the drive train and wreck it in a hurry. If all fails in organizing a club their is always places to take a leaf blower to, throw down some corner markers and have some fun
Old 12-14-2010, 08:41 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by BrodieMan
It's definitely not going to be a serious race club right away. First season would be "run what you brung" type of racing (with the exception of nitro). The HPI E10 is shaft driven and more of a parking lot basher. Most 'race' oriented chassis, even entry level, are not meant to be run on unprepared surfaces as rocks and dirt with get into the drive train and wreck it in a hurry. If all fails in organizing a club their is always places to take a leaf blower to, throw down some corner markers and have some fun
Ya, but i think we can get something organized .

Were you thinking a once a week club gathering/racing? If so, we could make it sunday, when some businesses do not operate, therefor would have empty parking lots.

Trouble is, many of the kits are really low to the ground, and can't take the bumps and cracks that older parking lots have. You almost need fresh pavement or concrete. Thats why i was thinking the armouries. If we could find a type of tire that works well on that surface that may be the best option (if they are ok with it). That surface is so big you could have a few races going on depending on how much garden hose, (or what ever tubing is used to make the outline) you have.

Another place to check into is walmart. They have a huge parking lot which is fairly new and on Sundays is practically empty. We could race off in the far corner.

There is definitely some thinking to do, but we have all winter to do it!
Old 12-14-2010, 08:50 PM
Tech Apprentice

For the website which i think you said you may be making. I have photoshop on my computer and am fairly good with it. If you need any logos, headings, menu rollovers... or anything like that let me know and i can whip up something. I had dreamweaver as well, but it was erased when my computer was cleaned.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

Might take you up on the website design offer. Looking into something this week that could be a big step forward for the club

A newly paved, or resurfaced lot is definitely ideal, I have started to look into the armouries because I hate the idea of missing club days due to weather and obviously for the winter. Where I race right now the floor would be similar to the armouries, very low traction, but with some experimenting we found tires that work and everyone seems to enjoy a bit of drifting This weekend I am going to be checking out how construction is coming along for the new development on the Parkway, that would be the ideal location for outdoor racing.

Once a week for a 'Race Day' is what I am looking to organize, day of the week would be completely dependent on who lets us use their space. Possibly a practice day if there is enough interest.

There seems like tons of time to get everything organized but it's going to take all winter for sure. My next step is to get quotes on Event Liability Insurance because it will be mandatory to be able to use any government, municipal and most commercial properties. Liability Waivers just aren't enough. Once I have some quotes for that I can really start to approach businesses, municipalities with proposals.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:14 AM
Tech Apprentice

Might take you up on the website design offer. Looking into something this week that could be a big step forward for the club

A newly paved, or resurfaced lot is definitely ideal, I have started to look into the armouries because I hate the idea of missing club days due to weather and obviously for the winter. Where I race right now the floor would be similar to the armouries, very low traction, but with some experimenting we found tires that work and everyone seems to enjoy a bit of drifting This weekend I am going to be checking out how construction is coming along for the new development on the Parkway, that would be the ideal location for outdoor racing.

Once a week for a 'Race Day' is what I am looking to organize, day of the week would be completely dependent on who lets us use their space. Possibly a practice day if there is enough interest.

There seems like tons of time to get everything organized but it's going to take all winter for sure. My next step is to get quotes on Event Liability Insurance because it will be mandatory to be able to use any government, municipal and most commercial properties. Liability Waivers just aren't enough. Once I have some quotes for that I can really start to approach businesses, municipalities with proposals.
Your getting me excited about this now! Keep us informed on the insurance. When the time comes, just send me an email about the website design stuff.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:53 PM
Tech Initiate

This thread is exactly what I needed to see! I would be very interested in getting involved in something in Peterborough. I have been away from the RC Car scene for a while but looking to get into 1/10 4WD off road. I will be very eager to see what you have cooking. I would also like some feedback on how that track is in Oshawa if you don't mind - although... I would like to better them in the New Year here in the Pete!

Nic
Guy from East City!
Old 12-15-2010, 08:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

I will take my camera to Motor City Raceway on Saturday and take some pics for you Nic. If you are interested I could build you a Losi XXX4G+ 4wd out of all my spares, minus shocks & front LCD drive-shafts plus a ton of spares for a very good price Also I might consider adding my Novak GTB ESC, Novak Velociti 6.5turn brushless motor, Spektrum DSX3.0 transmitter with one receiver and two servos, Integy AC/DC LiPo charger and a Team Orion 3200mAh 20C LiPo AND give you a ride to Oshawa when I go up to race. Now that's a tempting offer isn't it. haha

I have the new TLR 22 2wd buggy on pre-order and need some shiny new things to put in it.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:40 PM
Tech Initiate

Love the Losi 22 - looks nice - I am sure it will run as nice as it looks. I like your electronics your selling and the offer of the XXX-4 is intriguing - I am wanting a belt drive but I may want to go Tamiya (TRF 501X or DB01R)

How much ya selling the ESC and the motor? Oh yea you also have a nice Transmitter.

Regardless I am definitely on board with the club.

Have you heard anything more such as replies etc?
Old 12-20-2010, 12:27 PM
Tech Apprentice

just ordered my car that i'll be racin' at the club!

You were saying something about racing on or at the parkway??? What do you mean by that? isn't it just a 4 lane road?
Old 12-20-2010, 06:10 PM
Tech Initiate

Questions??

Hey Mark,

This is your baby but what about a facebook group to generate interest - I am just thinking of the best way to generate interest?

Nic
Old 12-20-2010, 09:04 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by nicg
Hey Mark,

This is your baby but what about a facebook group to generate interest - I am just thinking of the best way to generate interest?

Nic
Good idea! Most people have face book at this day and age.

It will be good even after we get the site worked out, to direct people to the website.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

There is a new development near the end of the parkway where the Tim Hortens is. Apparently it's going to be a hotel but they have not started construction yet. Thought it would be ideal place but looks like it won't be paved anytime soon. Looking into the Armouries but I've been told by good sources that it's very doubtful they will rent out their space for a club. The Helicopter club is somewhat grandfathered in there, plus a few of the club members are ex military.

Facebook page will happen, but not sure what the club name will be?? Any suggestions.

Been looking into the T:MER lap timing system for the club, looks perfect for a parking lot track as it's wireless and battery powered.

The next couple weeks are a bit crazy for me so don't expect any news. FYI the Motor City Raceway practice session was really fun this weekend. Jan 8th I will be heading up to race if anyone wants to catch a lift.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:40 AM
Tech Apprentice

There is a new development near the end of the parkway where the Tim Hortens is. Apparently it's going to be a hotel but they have not started construction yet. Thought it would be ideal place but looks like it won't be paved anytime soon. Looking into the Armouries but I've been told by good sources that it's very doubtful they will rent out their space for a club. The Helicopter club is somewhat grandfathered in there, plus a few of the club members are ex military.

Facebook page will happen, but not sure what the club name will be?? Any suggestions.

Been looking into the T:MER lap timing system for the club, looks perfect for a parking lot track as it's wireless and battery powered.

The next couple weeks are a bit crazy for me so don't expect any news. FYI the Motor City Raceway practice session was really fun this weekend. Jan 8th I will be heading up to race if anyone wants to catch a lift.
Ok, I'll think of some possible names. Are we thinking more of a "fun" name or a practical one?

just throwing ideas around:
  • PORC (Peterborough On-road Radio Controlled)
  • Peterborough On-road Frequency Racers (POFR)
  • Borogh Road Bashers
  • Fun Trax
Old 12-21-2010, 10:11 AM
Tech Initiate

Not bad names there but with the likelihood at some point in time (hopefully) there will be some sort of off road cars involved in this club we should take that into account.

Nic

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.