Community
Wiki Posts
Search

KARZ Calgary

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 37 votes, 4.14 average.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:49 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by IronRing Racing
I'll second both those comments, Steve is getting his old speed back (from what I hear, I stared a year or two after he stopped), and Toszer is great at helping when you've got setup questions.

For those that don't know they exist, Pete did an RC setup instructional series at CarCar several years ago and they're posted on YouTube under the CarCar postings.

Only problem with the color chart, black and silver aren't on there. Apparently my body colors don't exist! lol

Regina was good, but on a purely personal level a somewhat frustrating set of races. Bit of a vent here, so take with a grain of salt. Whereas Lethbridge I had great luck, and won half the classes, in Regina not so much. TQ'd and won WGT and VTA, but got hacked a LOT in the other classes. Cars were good, I was driving well, but was hit repeatedly, in some cases over several qualies by the same driver.

Mini: Qualied 2nd, then Wayne's dad, Way, blatently hit me from behind on the last corner of the first lap, which dropped me way back in the field. The only reason he was that close to me was because I had a better start then his son, and had backed off the throttle so I didn't run into him; "no good deed goes unpunished!" I battled back up to 4th, and was trying to put a pass on Ivan in the last lap, he slowed, I hit him, and waited for him to get going (ironic, given the reason I was back with him anyway). With the 5' or so gap after he pulled the trigger I couldn't recatch him before the finish line. Way said "Sorry" after the race, which I've never understood. Why say Sorry after you clearly hit me (twice actually as he didn't succeed the first time) and drove away to take the place. What's the point of saying Sorry, you obviously didn't mean it or you A) wouldn't have done it, and B) wouldn't have driven away.

Anyway, I've been PM'd as well about Ivan's comment, no idea what Ivan's talking about, still waiting for him to post what he's going on about. Wayne's car was almost a second faster then the next closest (me). I have never seen any mini that fast. No idea what he's doing, his diff felt the same as mine. Quite simply, with all the WCICS races, all the mini's, all the Karz and CarCar mini racers, I've never seen any mini be almost a second faster then both Ivan and I. Wayne suggested it might be my driving style, I tend to brake for the corners. I drove his car and it does carry great corner speed.

Nothing fishy about it as far as I could tell, no gearing or timing or diff tricks (identical speed down the straight), he's just found a setup that allows him to carry a lot more corner speed than we could. Just an example of a great driver who's found a great setup and is showing the rest of us that there's still much more in these mini's than we're getting out of them! Would love to know what he's doing!

TC SS: Ivan "Flodell'd" me off the track and into the pit tables on the first corner of TC SS. Posted 3rd fastest lap in the main, but after a hit like that there's only so far you can make your way back up.

TC Stock: Ted hit me so many times in ALL my TC Stock qualies that I never got a clean qualy run and ended in the B. My final time in the B would have put me 3rd in the A.

12 S: Jason and Ken crashed in 12 S and hit me when driving back onto the racing line, and just drove away. Jason did the same in one of the TC S qualies, just helping Ted out! lol

12 SS: Had a 2+ lap marshall, there were so few marshalls that while I was sitting there eventually a spectator out of the crowd got up and came across the straight into the infield and marshalled my car off the board.

Overall, a frustrating weekend as my cars were good, I was driving clean, and just kept getting hit.

At the end of the day, it's just a reminder to appreciate the gentleman driving we have at both our Calgary clubs, and a reminder it doesn't exist in most other places. So when you see new guys taking that approach, it is important to explain how we drive, it really wouldn't take very long to lose what we have. Ivan, Jason, Ken, Ted, etc weren't trying to hit anyone intentionally of course, just racing incidents or not looking where they're going after they crashed and are coming back on the racing line. Just a bad luck set of mains.

The Regina guys put on a great race, great venue, and everything ran smoothly. My individual bad luck doesn't at all reflect on them and their race. A definite "Must Do" on the WCICS calendar.

Josh
This is embarrassing to read.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Mini: Qualied 2nd, then Wayne's dad, Way, blatently hit me from behind on the last corner of the first lap, which dropped me way back in the field. The only reason he was that close to me was because I had a better start then his son, and had backed off the throttle so I didn't run into him; "no good deed goes unpunished!" I battled back up to 4th, and was trying to put a pass on Ivan in the last lap, he slowed (I was just driving my line...), I hit him (T-boned), and waited for him to get going (ironic, given the reason I was back with him anyway). With the 5' or so gap after he pulled the trigger I couldn't recatch him before the finish line. Way said "Sorry" after the race, which I've never understood. Why say Sorry after you clearly hit me (twice actually as he didn't succeed the first time) and drove away to take the place. What's the point of saying Sorry, you obviously didn't mean it or you A) wouldn't have done it, and B) wouldn't have driven away.

TC SS: Ivan "Flodell'd" me off the track and into the pit tables on the first corner of TC SS. Posted 3rd fastest lap in the main, but after a hit like that there's only so far you can make your way back up.

Interesting depending on who’s perspective you’re in……considering I qualified 3rd and ahead of you at the start line and it happened after the first corner….There’s video of the race so will have to see to reserve further comments. But I was lucky as I somehow finish the race in 3rd.

Like in any 1:1 professional racing, even though there’s video of every incident, no one ever thinks it’s their fault.

TC Stock: Ted hit me so many times in ALL my TC Stock qualies that I never got a clean qualy run and ended in the B. My final time in the B would have put me 3rd in the A.

I've already told you…….I actually did finished 3rd in the A! Zing!

Josh
But I must say that basically Josh and I were pretty much driving similar lap times as each other in every class but some how I escaped any bad luck vs. Josh was just plain unlucky. I didn’t win or TQ any class but I had a great time.

Ivan
Old 02-21-2012, 12:11 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BoneCrusher
I didn’t win or TQ any class but I had a great time.
Cheers to that. I've been trying to change my premise for racing from winning to just having fun. There are still rough edges, but it's coming along.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Its a tough road Jim, but Ill be honest, having guys like Ivan around is what makes me realise these are just toy cars, and the amount of fun we have is up to us as individuals for sure. I get too serious sometimes, but i generally try to control it and enjoy myself no matter what. I got wipped by the guys in the mini A main last time out, and yet i had a blast of a race. Same with 12th, I had a great night yet not even close to a win.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:43 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Mini: Qualied 2nd, then Wayne's dad, Way, blatently hit me from behind on the last corner of the first lap, which dropped me way back in the field. The only reason he was that close to me was because I had a better start then his son, and had backed off the throttle so I didn't run into him; "no good deed goes unpunished!" I battled back up to 4th, and was trying to put a pass on Ivan in the last lap, he slowed, I hit him, and waited for him to get going (ironic, given the reason I was back with him anyway). With the 5' or so gap after he pulled the trigger I couldn't recatch him before the finish line. Way said "Sorry" after the race, which I've never understood. Why say Sorry after you clearly hit me (twice actually as he didn't succeed the first time) and drove away to take the place. What's the point of saying Sorry, you obviously didn't mean it or you A) wouldn't have done it, and B) wouldn't have driven away.

Josh
Remember, we are all racing toy cars, crap happens. I had no intentions of bumping into you but your car slowed down on that corner. I usually say sorry when things like that happen, but I guess for you, the next time, I won't.

Way
Old 02-21-2012, 12:45 PM
Tech Master

Default KARZ

HAVE YOU REGISTRED ( OH DUDE GO AWAY) JUST MAKING SURE YOU ARE AWARE THAT THIS IS THE NEW FORMAT GOING FORWARD ( NO KIDDING REALLY I COULD'NT TELL) SO THEN I CAN EXPECT TO SEE EVERYONE REGISTER AND NOT HAVE TO MANUALY INPUT ANYONE.( DONT COUNT ON FREAK BOY)

JUST FOR ANOTHER FRIENDLY REMINDER WE WILL HAVE THE NEW KARZ DECALS OUT THIS WEEKEND, THEY WILL BE 2 DOLLARS FOR ONE OR GET 2 FOR 3 DOLLARS.( THATS A PRETTY GOOD DEAL THERE BIG MOUTH) THANKS, SO I WILL PUT YOU DOWN FOR A COUPLE AND YOU WILL GO REGISTER RIGHT NOW. ( OK OK COMPLY COMPLY)

BRAD
Old 02-21-2012, 12:49 PM
Tech Master

Default K

Originally Posted by Da4head
Remember, we are all racing toy cars, crap happens. I had no intentions of bumping into you but your car slowed down on that corner. I usually say sorry when things like that happen, but I guess for you, the next time, I won't.

Way
TAKE THIS DISCUSSION TO A PM OR TO THE WCICS THREAD!!
Old 02-21-2012, 01:07 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Racing wolfpack
TAKE THIS DISCUSSION TO A PM OR TO THE WCICS THREAD!!
awww no! i just made some popcorn! Can we have another debate about how an M04 has an advantage and should be banned?
Old 02-21-2012, 01:22 PM
Tech Master

Default KARZ

Originally Posted by axle182
awww no! i just made some popcorn! Can we have another debate about how an M04 has an advantage and should be banned?
SEEING HOW I AM CURRENTLY THE ONLY(AHHEM KEVIN) MO4 DRIVER, THERE WOULD NOT BE TO MANY VOTES ON MY END
Old 02-21-2012, 01:33 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by E-BUSS
This is embarrassing to read.
Why? Just waxing poetic on my weekend. Like I said, mostly just bad luck, most of it totally unintentional. Can't I take the WCICS/CARCAR Exec hat off and have a good "I feel sooo sorry for myself racing RC cars and having fun" post every now and then?

Originally Posted by BoneCrusher
But I must say that basically Josh and I were pretty much driving similar lap times as each other in every class but some how I escaped any bad luck vs. Josh was just plain unlucky. I didn’t win or TQ any class but I had a great time.

Ivan
Yeah, like I said, in Leth I had great luck. Danny and some others kept getting together which allowed me to get second in TC SS. Tozser had body issues which allowed me to win 12 SS. Somedays you're the windshield, somedays your the bug!

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
Cheers to that. I've been trying to change my premise for racing from winning to just having fun. There are still rough edges, but it's coming along.
Great thing to keep in mind!

Its a tough road Jim, but Ill be honest, having guys like Ivan around is what makes me realise these are just toy cars, and the amount of fun we have is up to us as individuals for sure. I get too serious sometimes, but i generally try to control it and enjoy myself no matter what. I got wipped by the guys in the mini A main last time out, and yet i had a blast of a race. Same with 12th, I had a great night yet not even close to a win.
Too true!

No worries Brad, just relating my personal account with local club friends. I only posted here because I got some PM's asking what info Ivan was holding out on; and the weekend recounting just poured out; and just reminded me once again what great, courteous, local racing we've got here in Calgary.

Josh
Old 02-21-2012, 01:39 PM
Tech Elite

SEEING HOW I AM CURRENTLY THE ONLY(AHHEM KEVIN) MO4 DRIVER, THERE WOULD NOT BE TO MANY VOTES ON MY END
And he will have a new one soon, so make a rule new M04's can only run the 17t pinion lol Oh and he cant use Pixy sh^t in his diff either!

Also my beloved M03 TQ'ed in Kamloops on the weekend, driven by Tom Weston, with Mike Buddha Evans hot on his heels with his new M06. I heard the two guys were accused of cheating a few times during the weekend, so good to hear BC has its share of retards who calls people a cheat when they cant beat em

Best part, Tom told the guys who accused him of cheating, that the M03 he was running, was only good enough to barely scrape into the A main at a local club event.... That made my weekend
Old 02-21-2012, 01:51 PM
Tech Master

Yeah, I heard about that already, lol.

They don't run a lot of mini in BC, so just like it looks like magic to Ivan and I to see Wayne pull a second over us, they look at Tom and think something must be wrong. At the end of the day, Wayne is a great driver who's worked on his M05 and made a great setup that could carry tons of corner speed.

Like I posted, nothing fishy that I could see, really just amazing that we thought we were all the tops and he just showed that there's almost a second more still to find in these cars!

Personally, that's why I like it that the top guys come out, in all the classes. Makes us all strive to be better, and shows us there's more possible.

We are racing toy cars, for fun, with friends. I've won 5 of the last 14 WCICS mains, hard to be unhappy with that, but I'm still trying to drive better, be more consistent, and make every pass a clean one. If it's not, sure it hurts my race to stop and wait, but it's my fault I hit the guy I was passing, so it's my penalty to bear.

Not everyone shares the same outlook, we all know that, but it's the only way I feel good about winning.

I'm just really happy we live in a town (and there's other clubs like ours for sure) where the vast majority feel the same way. I truly think that's been the secret to the success of RC in Calgary!

And each and every driver that contributes to that courteous atmosphere should be patting themselves on the back for making such fun, respectful, RC clubs to race in!

Thanks Ivan, AJ, Jim, that was exactly what I needed to hear, black moody cloud lifted! Happy Josh back.

Sorry AJ, nothing to see here!

Josh
Old 02-21-2012, 01:51 PM
Tech Master

Default KARZ

And he will have a new one soon, so make a rule new M04's can only run the 17t pinion lol Oh and he cant use Pixy sh^t in his diff either!

Also my beloved M03 TQ'ed in Kamloops on the weekend, driven by Tom Weston, with Mike Buddha Evans hot on his heels with his new M06. I heard the two guys were accused of cheating a few times during the weekend, so good to hear BC has its share of retards who calls people a cheat when they cant beat em

Best part, Tom told the guys who accused him of cheating, that the M03 he was running, was only good enough to barely scrape into the A main at a local club event.... That made my weekend
I AM THINKING FOR NEXT YEAR IT WILL GO THE OTHER WAY FOR THE MO4'S THAT THEY CAN NOW RUN 17,19 OR 21 SEEING HOW THE 06'S ARE VERY TOUGH TO RACE AGAINST, I DONT SEE IT CHANGING MUCH, JUST MAKING IT EASY ON THE RD TO HAVE ONE LESS HEAD ACHE.

WE DO HAVE SOME TOUGH MINI COMPETITION, I WOULD PROB HAVE NOT EVEN BEEN IN THE A MAIN IF ALOT OF THE OTHER TOP DRIVERS WERE THERE AND NOW THAT MIKE GILL HAS STEPPED UP HIS GAME, IT JUST ADDS ANOTHER ONE IN THE MIX AND NICHOLAS, SHANE, JOHHNY, JIM, CHRIS.......BLAH BLAH BLAH B-MAIN
I DONT THINK TOM NEEDED YOUR CAR HIS IS ALREADY PRETTY HOT TO TRY AND CATCH.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:56 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

M-03!!! REP-RE-SENT!!!

Our friends in BC are on the mini learning curve. We all seem to get accused of cheating at some point. Frankly, I believe everyone but me is a dirty cheat. You bastards!

Brad, did you say something about regulation, or reputation, or repatriation? Something about a website maybe? And what's this about an m-04 running a 21t pinion? Only if we change the minimum weight to 2kilos.

Jim
Old 02-21-2012, 02:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hang on!! Let me buy a new M04 [thanks AJ.] build it and set it up. Then we can ban it. That would be sweet.

Josh I feel your pain. Some times you just cant get a clear run. Your race report sounds like Scott's report from last year.
Its very interesting that Wayne and Way have figured out how to get the M05 to work. I was pleased that you reported that they were not faster down the straight. The M05 has been the least successful car at KARZ, we obviously dont know everything about getting a Mini to work.
Maybe we can get Wayne to pass on some M05 setup advice for us.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 37 votes, 4.14 average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.