Community
Wiki Posts
Search

KARZ Calgary

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 37 votes, 4.14 average.

Old 11-08-2013, 02:30 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BoneCrusher
We’ve (CARCAR) always “had” that option by setting up earlier in the week when volunteers were plenty, but the complaint was (and there were many) that if we ran the track first, we would have an advantage (perceived or not). ...

I don’t know about everyone else but personally I find practice on Friday nights to be utterly useless and even Saturday mornings for the first 2 qualifiers traction is crap. Don’t get me wrong, if you need track time and want to learn the layout etc……great. ...

Ivan
A couple of years ago I helped with registration at the CARCAR WCICS event on Friday night. During the practice, I kid you not, at least one car hit the boards hard every five seconds. People really get wound up at those events and I can see that any perceived benefit is going to get magnified in their minds. I'm sorry, my muscle memory does not last from night to night (maybe I have muscle amnesia) so pre-practicing would not help me.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:04 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default WGT at Karz

If Karz is going to run WGT, what would you suggest for a car as far as availability and parts availability in Calgary?
Old 11-08-2013, 10:52 PM
Tech Regular

Default 21.5 motor

Does anyone have a 21.5 motor they want to sell me?

Need one for tomorrow racing

Please message me asap

Mike
Old 11-08-2013, 10:54 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by elecsual
If Karz is going to run WGT, what would you suggest for a car as far as availability and parts availability in Calgary?
PM Hobby seems to have tires and some spares. Haven't looked there for kits, but if anywhere the south store would be likely.
Old 11-09-2013, 06:51 AM
Tech Master

Usually what ever WGT you run it is the same as the 12 scale you run. Most of the parts are compatable. PM has some associated parts. The associated 10r5 and the CRC are the most common. The CRC doesn't have local parts but is much cheaper.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:52 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by notsocrazybrit
There is another qualifying system that I think the offroad guys use.
Qualifying points. You take your overall qualifying position from each round into account to determine the mains lineup.
At least every round would be meaningful then.

Kev , that is a far , far better system in my opinion . Combined with long heats , it rewards and encourages smooth , consistent driving . I have always thought that the system we use for qualifying in onroad , (and short heat times) , encourages people to go for broke four times and hope that you can hold it together one of those four times .
Old 11-09-2013, 10:08 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Sorry guys...won't be able to make it after all...my wife has gotten sick and I need to tend to the kids today...have fun!
Old 11-09-2013, 08:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by purple haze
Kev , that is a far , far better system in my opinion . Combined with long heats , it rewards and encourages smooth , consistent driving . I have always thought that the system we use for qualifying in onroad , (and short heat times) , encourages people to go for broke four times and hope that you can hold it together one of those four times .
Qualifying points would be fun to try sometime I think. Edmonton was a bit weird this year, but usually WCICS boils down to the Sunday qualifier because that's when the track is fastest. All the Saturday racing is almost pointless.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:04 PM
Tech Master

I agree top 3 of 4 qualify rounds. Not a fan if rocket round. Especially with the resort being after the second round. The first round is pointless, the grip is not there and it's not like you gain an advantage to a higher main. You race the same guys again in round 2. Sunday is when I break in the last qualifier and drop down 2 mains haha.

Great fun at the new Gym. I like it. Looking forward to more racing in the new home of KARZ.
Old 11-10-2013, 04:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

From the WCICS point of view I think the qualifying points would work very well. It would work at club races too. I'm sure it could be tried out at KARZ we just need to run the idea by Brad and Scott. If it was good then Cal and Scott could bring it to the WCICS meeting.
Brad already mentioned to me that he wanted to go with longer races, at least in Mini at KARZ. Obviously that's not possible at WCICS races.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:21 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by purple haze
Originally Posted by Steve S
Qualifying points would be fun to try sometime I think. Edmonton was a bit weird this year, but usually WCICS boils down to the Sunday qualifier because that's when the track is fastest. All the Saturday racing is almost pointless.
The early qualifiers is to get you to a decent resort. The last qualifier is where you only have to hold it together. In the A or B Mains, there 'usually' is a little more respect with slower drivers letting faster drivers by. In the lower qualifiers, I know sometimes it's not on purpose, but I see a lot of 'not-intentioned' hacking going on which usually ruins the last chance qualifier for some racers......hence the most common time you see people storming off the driver's stand.

It probably wouldn't matter for my driving style, but the qualifying points system sounds good to me too. However, I'm always of the opinion that certain driving styles of individual racers will likely still not change and probably the same results would happen too. Also, for the unfortunate racers that sometimes experience unfortunate mechanical failures (like stripped spur gears) who 'should' be in the higher mains, end up in mains he would not otherwise be in if our normal system of qualifying was used.

Originally Posted by Madulla
I agree top 3 of 4 qualify rounds. Not a fan if rocket round. Especially with the resort being after the second round. The first round is pointless, the grip is not there and it's not like you gain an advantage to a higher main. You race the same guys again in round 2. Sunday is when I break in the last qualifier and drop down 2 mains haha.

Originally Posted by notsocrazybrit
From the WCICS point of view I think the qualifying points would work very well. It would work at club races too. I'm sure it could be tried out at KARZ we just need to run the idea by Brad and Scott. If it was good then Cal and Scott could bring it to the WCICS meeting.
Brad already mentioned to me that he wanted to go with longer races, at least in Mini at KARZ. Obviously that's not possible at WCICS races.
So it's really up to Cal (carcar's vote) and Scott (Karz's vote) to propose changes next year. Speak up everyone!

Ivan
Old 11-10-2013, 07:43 PM
Tech Master

Fun times yesterday.

Looks like I may need to move on from my $80 touring car soon.

On the other hand....i can get a brand new parts car for 65 bux right now.......oh the dilemma
Old 11-10-2013, 08:13 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Had a great time at our new track yesterday. Seems like the space is going to work well for us. I would however, like to speak with the sick minded individual who did the track layout. It's as if their sole intent was to torture me. (I'm looking at you, Curtis.) Looking forward to next weekend!

Also, Al looks lonely over there.

Old 11-11-2013, 12:46 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Props to all the 12th scalers. That was a really exciting and close finale.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
That photo makes me wish I had a basketball.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 37 votes, 4.14 average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.