Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree52Likes

Carcar

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 27 votes, 3.81 average.

Old 07-10-2015, 07:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

http://www.redrc.net/2015/07/team-or...it/#more-99124

Interesting! This could change the layout of current rc cars.....
Old 07-10-2015, 11:55 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I saw that from another company a few months ago. Interesting idea. Don't know how they're dealing with heat, but the wiring sure would be neater.
Old 07-10-2015, 01:41 PM
Tech Master

Now when you plug your battery in backwards you blow your motor and your esc
Old 07-10-2015, 08:20 PM
Tech Master

They are buying them from Dual Sky Jim and I looked at a 2400kv 540 one for mini. They main issue we had was the one brought up.
Old 07-11-2015, 08:13 AM
Tech Master

Same problem with the new Airtronics Esc with built in receiver. If 1 part breaks it is all broken.

I guess in the future we will see a motor with built in esc and receiver with a wireless connection to the servo.
Old 07-12-2015, 09:45 AM
Tech Initiate

That seems to be the way tech is going. Real cars are no different, I see less modules controlling more things. When that module dies you lose 1/3 of the vehicles options.
Old 07-12-2015, 10:13 AM
Tech Master

Ok guys who have spoken up for mini motors. I am just trying to figure out the easiest way to order and get them. I will update when I have more information. But don't worry the order for all 100 will be going in very soon.
Old 07-12-2015, 12:07 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks cal!
Old 07-12-2015, 12:24 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks Cal!!
Old 07-13-2015, 08:06 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey Cal you have PM
Old 07-13-2015, 10:06 PM
Tech Master

Default Official WCICS Tamiya Mini Rule Change

Hello racers, I hope your summer is going well!

Thanks to a bunch of hard work by Jim and the WCICS team over the last couple months, he's procured; dyno tested and presented an evaluation of a Tamiya mini motor by SkyRC. From everything he can tell, and has been told, this is the company that originally manufactured the Tamiya Mini ORCA combo motors, and his analysis and dyno's back that up. Other than being orange, it looks and performs identical.

While our recent experience with ORCA has demonstrated the downside of single sourcing any spec component, our focus is and has always been what is best for the racers.

In this case, with literally hundreds and hundreds of ORCA combo's currently installed across Western Canada, the best thing for the vast majority of Mini racers is allowing this new SkyRC motor. This allows:

1. All the current racers to continue to use their ORCA equipment.
2. Gives new racers a still very inexpensive way to get into mini.
3. Keeps mini racing fair, inexpensive, and equal.

There is a minimum order requirement from the manufacturer, and the order needs to be met and submitted in time for them to manufacture them in time for our first race in Saskatoon. Luckily, WCICS has two great hobby shop partners, and they are stepping up again and supporting our racers and series! Together they are making a joint order so that we hit our minimum, and can put the order in this week. Racers can then order from either of those shops and be ready for the start of the season.

They will announce when they have received them, we expect it to take a couple months, but when they’re in stock you’ll be able to find them at:

ATD Hobbies in Penticton, BC http://www.atdhobbies.com
Great Hobbies in Edmonton, Alberta https://www.greathobbies.com

Final pricing will be determined by the shops (after exchange, shipping, etc.), but will be very economical. Thanks again to our great WCICS partner hobby shops!

The nature of the bulk order from SkyRC is that there is NO retail packaging for these motors; they're literally a bulk order and come simply wrapped in paper. But since they're plug and play, same as the ORCA's, it hopefully isn't a big issue for anyone.

For the ESC's, same as the AGM vote back in March, it's open Blinky ESC. Just an FYI, Jim also did testing of different ESC's on the same SkyRC motor, and actually found the original ORCA ESC to have one of the lowest IR's and one of the highest motor RPM’s on the dyno. It's definitely an efficient ESC, and nobody should feel any need to replace it with anything else.

Looking forward to the start of our 25th Anniversary season!

Keep Racing,

Josh

Main WCICS thread: http://www.rctech.net/forum/14094237-post32.html
Old 07-14-2015, 06:13 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by IronRing Racing
Thanks to a bunch of hard work by Jim and the WCICS team over the last couple months,
lol hard work eh? Wcics team - "should we listen to what members of Carcar and Nascar are talking about? maybe. Should we try to ruin the conversation even tho the clubs were talking about club racing, not wcics? yeah why not! Should we then take credit for it when the rule is changed? OF COURSE!"...... The thanks go to Jim and Pat, thanks guys. YOU kept mini racing cheap and fun.
1. All the current racers to continue to use their ORCA equipment.
2. Gives new racers a still very inexpensive way to get into mini.
3. Keeps mini racing fair, inexpensive, and equal.
Now where on earth did I hear that???
Originally Posted by axle182
Hi all, wanted to put some thoughts into this, I know its offroad season, but for anyone who loves mini, give it some thought -

21.5 open motor will KILL mini. Ask ANYONE in the US.

If, we could get supply of the exact same motor as supplied in the Orca Combo, at a very cheap price, and we opened the esc to anything on the stock blinky list (if the spark isn't already on there, we add it in our rules), do we have any issues?

Benefits -
- People with existing combos are not affected AT ALL
- New people can easily join the class
- Motors are coming direct from manufacturer, means more chance they will continue to be produced!
- you continue the SAME PARITY as has existed for the last few years!

This is of course if Orca dont continue the combo. Thoughts?
Yet after reading my post in May, you posted this -
As always, don't believe everything you read on the internet; especially from guys that post more than they race, that make up numbers, or tell you “everyone agrees.”
I'm glad we got the discussion going, we allowed people to voice their opinions, and we avoided a almost certain problem. Well done Jimbo and Pat, Mini racers really appreciate it
Old 07-14-2015, 06:19 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Not sure what tne wcics team did, however I do truly appreciate the work and effort jim and pat did, listening to what racers wanted.
Old 07-14-2015, 06:52 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Thanks to Pat for helping me get the ball rolling and pushing me along when I'd resigned myself to running 21.5 mini, like an idiot. At least I've got a good selection of motors for ASS.

Last edited by monkeyracing; 07-14-2015 at 08:14 AM.
Old 07-14-2015, 06:56 AM
Tech Master

Jim deserves the all of the Credit, after talking with him about mini, and how 21.5 would kill it, the ATS decided to do what the racers wanted.
I just made a bunch of phone calls and found the 3 different OEMS that built the orca motors. He tested the samples, he negotiated the minimum order down from 500 to 100, he dealt with the people on the other side of the world to make this all happen. All the WCICS team did was ride on his and the ATS's coattails.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 27 votes, 3.81 average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.