Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree52Likes

Carcar

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 27 votes, 3.81 average.

Old 03-31-2011, 03:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Total CARMA, Jim! Our WCICS track was one of the most challenging layouts I've run on... it was really hard to be consistent. Not sure if you got a chance to see the Nats track, but the layout was much tougher yet! Two of the gauntlet/high speed chicane sections where you have about 2 feet to get it right. The track was also super high traction (your shoes litterally stuck to the carpet, like fly paper), and even though I spent 5 days out there, and tried just about everything under the sun setup wise, I never got it to where it was comfortable to drive. The 1/12 was really good in the end, but I'd probably need to spend another week there with the TC to get it figured out. We simply never race under such conditions.
And it seemed to be the same story for most racers... you couldn't push the cars in some sections or you'd flip.

I ended up where I expected... behind all of the pros and the super fast locals. Looking at best laps in the mains, I was 1/2 second off the top guys in both 1/12 Mod and TC Mod, which seems about right, but I had no consistency to speak of.

I made a conscious choice not to sandbag in the Stock classes. The TC Stock class was won by a mid-Bmain Mod driver.
Old 03-31-2011, 03:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

BTW, a big thank you to all of the CARCAR execs for another great season.
Looking forward to next year, my suggestions are:

1. Subfloor please! It will prolong the life of the carpet and give us a much better racing surface. I've talked to a couple of guys about how we could make that work in a modular way, although it will still require some logistics and an agreement with the HSC for us to roll up less or not at all during the season.

2. Jack traction compound. It's more readily available, and we'll be able to achieve much higher and more consistent traction levels, like we find at other WCICS venues. The argument that Niftech is in any way better for the life of the carpet is an absolute myth. I'd actually argue that it's worse.. lower traction means more sliding, which to me means more wear and tear.

3. Open TC tire. I think we still running open TC tire... Bernie mentioned the Jaco spec tire was a typo, as he just copied that over from the WCICS rules. Either way, I'd like to have the option to test out other brands.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rc pete
3. Open TC tire. I think we still running open TC tire... Bernie mentioned the Jaco spec tire was a typo, as he just copied that over from the WCICS rules. Either way, I'd like to have the option to test out other brands.
ahh, i think your only meaning at carcar, yes I think its been open tire always, but id say 99% run the wcics spec, as there is no point running and setting up on anything else. Id hate to see open TC tire at wcics, that will open the flood gates for the $$ for anyone who isnt sponsored. The controled TC tire is a major reason why TC has been so huge.

Last edited by axle182; 03-31-2011 at 04:54 PM.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 72 (99%+)
Default Pete T

Great post Pete, and great ideas for next season. Any chance of a quote for the sub-floor?

Greg G
Old 03-31-2011, 05:41 PM
Tech Regular

BTW, a big thank you to all of the CARCAR execs for another great season.
Looking forward to next year, my suggestions are:

1. Subfloor please! It will prolong the life of the carpet and give us a much better racing surface. I've talked to a couple of guys about how we could make that work in a modular way, although it will still require some logistics and an agreement with the HSC for us to roll up less or not at all during the season.

2. Jack traction compound. It's more readily available, and we'll be able to achieve much higher and more consistent traction levels, like we find at other WCICS venues. The argument that Niftech is in any way better for the life of the carpet is an absolute myth. I'd actually argue that it's worse.. lower traction means more sliding, which to me means more wear and tear.

Woo Hoo! Pete for President!!
Old 03-31-2011, 09:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by E-BUSS
Woo Hoo! Pete for President!!
What? You and Ivan have been doing a great job, and I'd like to see you build on that. Are you eyeing up the backout WCICS rep position after just 1 term?

Yes, I meant open tire just for CARCAR. The series needs a spec tire.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Swampracer
Great post Pete, and great ideas for next season. Any chance of a quote for the sub-floor?

Greg G
I thought I worked that out at one point to around the $3200 mark for a permanent base setup with 2x4 stringers and T&G plywood. But we should get a few heads together to talk about some options, determine how portable it needs to be, and what those options would run for.

If we're going to seriously consider this, maybe we can get our exec to talk to the HSC first to see what they could settle on, and we can go from there.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I know that the Horseshoe Club is interested in having us sign a formal lease and if we could negotiate that we wouldn't have to tear up at all or only very minimally 1-2 per year then I think the sub-floor idea has lots of merit. We can pursue it over the summer months and see where we're at closer to the fall.

Cheers,
Mike

If we're going to seriously consider this, maybe we can get our exec to talk to the HSC first to see what they could settle on, and we can go from there.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

If it helps, i can draw up the complete design for us to construct to.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:41 AM
Tech Initiate

Default sub floor

Once you have a take off for materials, Let me know and I'll see what my pricing is for it!
Old 04-24-2011, 04:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Just thought I'd keep the CARCAR thread on Page 1.

Also, working on possibly getting an outdoor summer race at a local car show event in mid-July. Will be working with Karz too if it happens.

Happy Easter all!

Ivan
Old 04-24-2011, 10:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I'm with you Crush, keep the thread fresh!

I'm jealous of all you year round on road racers! Not looking forward to getting owned in the fall, seems like forever since I turned a wheel (Mommy won't hear of it).
Old 04-25-2011, 05:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by axle182
If it helps, i can draw up the complete design for us to construct to.
Already done, mate :-)

It's just a Sketchup drawing, and not up to the standards of *some* people, but it gives the general idea. The design I came up with uses bolts to connect all the parts together rather than screws, so it can be taken down/reassembled as often as is required...
Old 04-25-2011, 06:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JamesClark
Once you have a take off for materials, Let me know and I'll see what my pricing is for it!
For 36' x 96':

108 4'x8' 23/32 OSB
180 2"x6"x104" (sheet frames)
108 2"x4"x104" (inner frame support)

Based on prices from Totem, I ended up with a price in the neighborhood of $2500
Old 04-25-2011, 06:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 72 (99%+)
Default Sub-floor

I'll try to work some OT over the next few months, should be good for another small donation towards the sub-floor.

SMoooth 12th scale racing would be the balls!!!!

Greg G

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 27 votes, 3.81 average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.