Alberta Touring Series 2019 Calgary Race January 25-27 2019 >

Alberta Touring Series 2019 Calgary Race January 25-27 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree6Likes

Alberta Touring Series 2019 Calgary Race January 25-27 2019

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.

Old 01-29-2019, 12:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Race Report!!!

Awesome weekend!

I would like to thank the following list of people that made this race possible:

1. Nascar President Pat O’Rourke for approaching Carcar in the spring of 2014 about his idea for a small provincial race series between the two largest RC clubs in Alberta. The focus of this new series would be to have fun, keep rules to a minimum, save budget conscious racers some money with less travel and create a friendly provincial rivalry.

That is how the ATS was born!

2. Our sponsors:
- Schumacher Racing
- PM Hobbycraft

3. Carcar volunteers: Cal Freeman and James Ryan. Without their behind-the-scenes work including getting the nice door prizes and gift cars and getting the track all prepped up, there would be no race.

4. Larry for RD'ing our race. Doing a great job on the mic and working the computer while occasionally begging us to let him get some food.

5. Gordon for recording and posting all the Mains videos in great quality up for viewing. Youtube.com search "Carcar Videos"

6. The racers. I think we had a great turnout with a good contingent of Calgary and Nascar (Edmonton) racers and a few guys coming from far Grand Prairie (Jeff), Grimshaw (Nick), Lloydminster (Anthongy) and Lance from Regina.

There were 107 entries in 8 classes.

- 6 Tamiya Mini
- 10 12th Scale Stock
- 11 F1
- 31 TC Stock

- 7 EuroTruck
- 22 USGT
- 6 12th Scale Mod
- 14 TC Mod

Heats were full and the competition was intense. As no actual points are given in this race series, the atmosphere was fun and relaxing. There was also no required tech before you race as we welcomed racers to self check their own cars as we were more concerned with low ride height or loose screws damaging the carpet than your battery overcharged by 0.01 volts.

Many people again commented on how they really like the open tire rule in the Touring Car classes. Some choosing to test different tires all weekend and some just using old sets they had left from previous events or free hand me down tires.

We were also very happy to see a lot of young and fast racers participating this weekend. We had 6 kids (ages: 7, 9, 11, 14, 15, and 16) come out and race! This hobby not only need regular racers for support but also young racers to help us continue to grow this hobby we all love!

Also a shout out to the volunteer corner marshals that went above and beyond. I remember seeing Mike B., Wendell M, Carter and John H out there more times than I can count. If I missed you, sorry and thanks for your efforts too!
Thanks for everyone’s support!

RACE REPORTS

- Every heat in the finals will get a little write up. This race is about all the participants. I did my best to add a little blub about every racer I could.

In the Mini A Main, TQ Walter “The Minnie King” Slany would continue to grow his already legendary status in this class. Matt “The Beard” Wilfort made a quick move early on to take the lead which he held for about half the race until a mechanical issue would drop him out of the race for a couple of laps. Ivan “Budget Racer” Chan would try to catch Walter to no avail as the Minnie King would win the race in dominating fashion. Matt would make it back on the track and work his way back up to 3rd passing Mark “Which direction are we going?” Hillier and that’s how it finished. Garry “Like my M05V2” Nouwen would finish 5th followed by young Zander Roy in 6th.

In the 12th Scale Stock B Main, it was a full family affair. BQ King John would hold off an early charge from Ed “Papa” King and regain the lead for good and take a very convincing win. The show was a battle for 2nd and Gillian “Happy” Roy would put up a good one swapping positions with Ed about 4 times but in the end, Ed would pass the line a few seconds ahead of Gillian to finish 2nd and 3rd respectively. Alnoor Pardhan DNS.

In the 12th Scale Stock A Main, the top 3 cars put on a show! TQ Jeremy “The Kid” Litke would take the early lead and have a great battle with Ivan “that clicking noise is fine” Chan holding him off early in the race. Ivan would eventually take the lead but then blow it. Cal “They call him Carl” Freeman had a bad start early on but eventually caught up to the leaders. Jeremy would eventually take the lead for good and the win. It was a good battle for 2nd and Ivan and Cal would put on a show for the second half of the race with Cal holding off Ivan for 2nd place by a few car lengths. Pat “You can call me Patty” O’Rourke was not too far behind in 4th, follow by Ian “Who Can” Buchan for 5th and Jon “Yes I can glue your tires” Werkman in 6th.

In the F1 B Main, BQ John “King” Kwong would have a fairly uneventful race to finish 1st with a fast and consistent drive. Jeff “Mr. Caffeine” Fisher also drove very consistently but his car was just a bit slower than John’s so Jeff had to settle for 2nd place. It was a good battle for 3rd though as Nick “Don’t call me JJ” Palinkas had the position for about half the race until Jon “Why won’t this drive like my 12th scale” Werkman finally made it past him and that’s how they finished for 3rd and 4th. Blaine “I hate this car” Everingham DNS.

In the F1 A Main, TQ Steve “practice does make a difference” Wiens would get a slight scare from an early pass from Cal “Why didn’t my Roche car make it here before this weekend” Freeman but that was short lived has Steve would regain the lead and win the race. The battle would be for 2nd as Sammy “I race everywhere” Lee would duke it out would Cal and in the last lap Cal would make a move on Sammy and pass him to take 2nd on the podium. Sammy would settle for 3rd. That wasn’t the only battle as Lance “Mr. Regina” Radke and Anthony “I need a Gizmo F1” Mari would put on a show for nearly the second half of the race switching positions multiple times but in the end, Anthony would pass Lance and they would finish 4th and 5th. Somewhere back there Ivan ‘maybe the car does need side springs” Chan would uneventfully finish 6th.

In the Touring Stock D Main, DQ Levi “Young Gun” Wiebe had a super fun back and forth race with Jon “I’m gonna getcha sucka” Werkman where they were no farther apart than a few corners the entire race. Jon moved passed Levi early on the race and held off Levi until the last few lap there was mayhem with lap traffic and Levi would make it past Jon for the win with Jon not too far behind. Mark “yup we’re going clockwise” Hillier drove fairly consistent and not too far back for 3rd. Ed “Papa” King, son King John and Nick “Lowes Jimmy Johnson #48 Car” Palinkas had a great back and forth race where Ed and Nick’s finishing position was decided on the last lap for 4th and 5th respectively. King John was in the thick of it until he had a mechanical issue near the last lap to finish 6th. Garry “Love this car” Nouwen made it through with a good race to finish 7th.

In the Touring Stock C Main, CQ Ian “This isn’t the worst start ever….trust me on this one” Buchan would unfortunately time his first corner wrong and go from 1st to last. Out of the mayhem Pat “Too bad Shane Eaton I’m Purple Haze now” Dansereau, Jeff “Caffeine keeps me calm” Fisher and Braden “I need more RC cars” Roberts had a great battle the entire race. Jeff got the lead early on and held it for 2/3 of the race until Pat would make it past him and hold on for the win. But wait, Gordon “Don’t count me out” Holland with quiet determination made it from 7th on the grid to slowly work his way thru out the race making up positions to finish 2nd passing both Jeff and Braden who finished 3rd and 4th respectively. Mike “Sure I’ll corner marshal” Boire would drive a steady race to finish 5th. Anthony “Mr. Gizmo” Mari had a rough one to finish 6th. Gordon “My dyno told me so” Tomazic finished 7th with his 21.5 car…..oh wait it’s 17.5 TC Stock isn’t it? Ian unfortunately couldn’t overcome his early troubles and had to retire early to finish 8th.

In the Touring Stock B Main, BQ Jeremy “The Kid” Litke made a mistake very early on that would unfortunately take him out of the race which also created early mayhem in the race. That allowed Ivan “Budget Racer” Chan to grab a big lead that he would Sunday drive home for the win. But wait, there were big battles behind as Joe “Big Jeff Gordon Fan here” Chan and Juan “I’m Jaun-derful” Marulanda had a great battle for second the entire race where Juan would edge Joe on the last lap to finish 2nd and 3rd respectively. But wait, John “King” Kwong and Matt “Young Jedi” Green also duked it out and John was able to hold of Matt for 4th and 5th respectively. The top 5 cars finished less than 5 seconds apart. Pat “You can call me Patty” O’Rourke couldn’t over come early trouble but drove consistently to finish 6th. Ron “I finally got may car working” Korolak dug deep to qualify into the B main but unfortunately mechanical issues took him out of the race just a bit later than Jeremy to finish 7th and 8th respectively.

In the Touring Stock A Main it was an eventful race. TQ Sammy “the best money can buy” Lee would have a good start but would catch a corner and unfortunately Dwayne “Mr. R1” Flodell would collect Sammy on the straight. Dwayne would unfortunately take the worse of it and end up off the track and now back of the field at least half a lap back. Steve “Damm I got my cars working good” Wiens would make it thru the mayhem to take the lead for a few laps. But a mistake from Steve would now let Sammy thru back to the lead with Jim “Don’t call me old” Chapman closely behind. Sammy would now get back on form and eventually finish for the win. Don’t count Steve out as he would slowly catch Jim and pass him with a few laps to go to finish 2nd and 3rd respectively. After the rough start, Dwayne would do a great job but was only able to work his way up to 4th passing James “Friends on, Friends off” and Cal “Don’t tell my sponsors about this one” Freeman late in the race who themselves had a great battle to finish 5th and 6th. Walter “The Minnie King” Slany drove a nice damage-free-car to 7th and Lance “Mr. Regina” Radke unfortunately had a mid-race mechanical issue but was able to get back on the track to finish the race in 8th.

In the EuroTruck A Main, TQ Steve “My Truck is Unstoppable” Wiens really had an unstoppable EuroTruck taking the win rather easily. Ivan “don’t hit me Sammy” Chan charged hard but to no avail to finish second. Jeff “My truck is finally working” Fisher wasn’t too far behind in 3rd. Braden “Why didn’t you tell me to glue my front tires during the first 4 rounds of qualifying damnit” Roberts finally got his car to stop traction rolling and finished in 4th. There was a close battle for 5th and Jon “I got a noodle flag too” Werkman edged out Sammy “Sure I’ll use a EuroTruck this time” Lee to the finish line. Levi “Like my KD flag” Wiebe started out well but succumbed to mechanical issues to finish 7th.

In the USGT C Main, Gary “I’m CQ woohoo” Nouwen and Levi “I’m up to 3 classes” Wiebe had a good battle for the majority of the race with Levi finally passing Gary late in the race and holding on for the win and Gary in 2nd. Gillian “Get out of my way Zander” Roy and young 7-year-old Rowan Korolak had a fun back and forth battle for 3rd with Gillian edging out Rowan to the line for 3rd and 4th. Wendell “mellow” McGrath had a nice relaxing race to finish 5th ahead of young 9-year-old Zander Roy.

In the USGT B Main, John “King” Kwong had his hands full from Anthony “Mr. Gizmo” Mari and Jeff “Caffeine please” Fisher. After 4 laps Anthony would pass John who would stay in front of Jeff for more than half the race. It would finish with Anthony crossing the line a few seconds in front of John but with Jeff succumbing to a mechanical issue to finish 7th. Jon “I’m going to podium” Werkman would podium by holding off Gordon “My dyno told me I’m fast” Tomazic to finish 3rd and 4th respectively. Young 11-year-old RJ Korolak made a good move mid race to pass Ed “Papa” King and hold on for 5th and 6th.

In the USGT A Main, TQ Dwayne “Mr. R1” Flodell would have a back and forth battle with Cal “I’ve rebuilt this car after every race” Freeman and would hold him off for a convincing win. Cal wasn’t far behind but a hard charging Walter “I’ve got all the Moneymatix upgrades money can buy” Slany would run out of time to finish a few car lengths behind. James “Why can’t I catch a break!” Ryan would recover from a poor first lap to come back and finish 4th. Joe “I don’t need practice” Chan would have a nice battle with Pat ‘Sure call me Patty” O’Rourke and also finish ahead of him to the line in 5th and 6th. Matt “The Beard” Wilfort had a lot of trouble the entire heat and make it over the line in 7th. Ivan “Sunday drive with the FWD car” Chan finished in 8th.

In the 12th Scale Mod A Main, TQ Tommy “Speed” Tam would take a fairly convincing win with the fastest and smoothest driven car. Great battle between Matt “The Beard” Wilfort and Jim “Can’t I catch a break?” Chapman had a great battle more than half the race but Jim would end up with a mechanical issue and he would finish 5th. Matt would take 2nd in front of Cal “Please don’t DNF” Freeman who would drive a clean race and finish 3rd ahead of Ivan “Please just make it to the end” Chan in 4th. Ed “Papa” King DNS.

In the Touring Mod B Main, BQ Ivan “Is this a drifting competition” Chan would have great battles with Walter “The Minnie King” Slany and Matt “Young Jedi” with each taking the lead at one point. Walter would prevail in the end with Ivan trailing behind and Matt recovering from a few incidents to finish 3rd. Joe “Big Jeff Gordon Fan Here” Chan wasn’t too far behind and also holding off Ron “Mod is tough” Korolak for 4th and 5th respectively.

In the Touring Mod A Main, TQ Tommy “Speed” Tam would have a great start and held the lead from start to finish 1st. Matt “The Beard” Wilfort pushed hard with an almost mistake free race but could only close to within half a lap to finish 2nd. It was mayhem for the rest a few laps into the race and Carter “Finally Dad you got my car working!!!” Herasymiuk would make it thru into 3rd and would hold off the hard charging Jim “Mains are not my friend” Chapman to finish 3rd and 4th respectively. Obviously due to bad luck for the remaining racers, super lucky Blaine “gaining 0.7 seconds per lap has nothing to do with a new car with all the bells and whistles” Everingham miraculously finished in 5th. Unfortunately Cal “Glad nothing popped off my car” Freeman and Lance “Mr. Regina” Radke would run out of time to show Blaine his place and finish 6th and 7th respectively. Jeremy “The Kid” Litke would have a difficult start and eventually would suffer mechanical issues and had to pull off for the DNF.

Until April 27-28, 2019 at the Edmonton leg of the ATS (not 100% confirmed yet but it’s looking like it’s going to be at the awesome venue of Millennium Place), where you can also win a chassis in each class (qualified by running in the same class at both events which were made possible by both Nascar and Carcar clubs)………………….See you all at the track!

Ivan
Juniorabca and Fatheroftwo like this.

Last edited by BoneCrusher; 01-29-2019 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Podium Pics added!
Old 01-29-2019, 06:39 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Great report Ivan, just a slight revision in your TC stock B report.

Originally Posted by BoneCrusher

In the Touring Stock B Main, BQ Jeremy “The Kid” Litke made a mistake very early on that would unfortunately take him out of the race which also created early mayhem in the race. That allowed Ivan “Dale Earnhardt Jr fan club president” Chan to grab a big lead that he would Sunday drive home for the win. But wait, there were big battles behind as Joe “Never a Jeff Gordon Fan” Chan and Juan “I’m Jaun-derful” Marulanda had a great battle for second the entire race where Juan would edge Joe on the last lap to finish 2nd and 3rd respectively. But wait, John “King” Kwong and Matt “Young Jedi” Green also duked it out and John was able to hold of Matt for 4th and 5th respectively. The top 5 cars finished less than 5 seconds apart. Pat “You can call me Patty” O’Rourke couldn’t over come early trouble but drove consistently to finish 6th. Ron “I finally got may car working” Korolak dug deep to qualify into the B main but unfortunately mechanical issues took him out of the race just a bit later than Jeremy to finish 7th and 8th respectively.

Ivan
Old 01-29-2019, 11:40 AM
Tech Rookie

This event was outstanding!
Big big thanks to all the people who made it such a success.
Can’t wait to see you all at the Edmonton ATS.
Old 01-29-2019, 07:12 PM
Tech Adept

Had a great time as usual at this race. I must say that I love the write up Ivan..

Can't wait for the Edmonton leg to happen.

Jon Werkman
Old 01-29-2019, 09:32 PM
Tech Initiate

That was an awesome write up! I had a blast. Thanks everyone.

Braden
Old 01-31-2019, 02:02 PM
Tech Regular

Fantastic race report Ivan. Really fun race weekend. Great work by James and Cal for keeping the CARCAR leg of the series going. Thanks for the draw prizes. I will be enjoying my pit lamp immensely.

John K
Old 03-25-2019, 07:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Great write up Ivan. Great to see some vids of the racing too! hope your all doing well
Old 10-18-2019, 01:03 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Alberta Touring Series 2019 Calgary Race January 25 27 2019

The Bears wont win this weekend. Salmons been struggling mightily so far. I have hopes for if/when they meet again in the playoffs, though.